U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM

42 posts, read 94,918 times

Advertisements

Dear all,
I have a few questions:
1.) It appears that high school rating on USA.com versus greatschools.com are very different. I am confused. In Houston (where I am from) , these are quite consistent.
2.) If you had 1M+ budget (rather of course not to spend all of that) for your housing and your job was in Springfield, where would you live? Provided that you need all three schools (elem, ms, and hs) and the schools were very top priority on your list. Also note that potentially our future high school student might be a good candidate for TJHS (he will be taking calculus in the middle school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:14 PM

390 posts, read 452,877 times
Before I start, welcome to NOVA.
1) What is your question?
2) What type of home would you like to purchase?
How much over 1 million are you willing to go?
What is your maximum time you're willing to commute?

Old 04-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Default answers

1.) my questions are in the main thread
2.) I'd rather not commute much but willing to sacrifice commute if it will put my kiddos in better schools
3.) I am willing to go over the budget but it will have to be a very good reason (e.g. MUCH better schools)
4.) I would much rather live in a single family home but willing to downgrade to townhouse (if the schools are better).
Also, my middle daughter is in the gymnastics team and we have to continue with that She is in a very good gym here in Houston and we would love to have something similar to that in VI.
PS We are still in Houston

Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,647,744 times
How far under $1 mil are you willing to go?

I’d live in the W. Springfield or Burke area and save ~$325 million.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM

945 posts, read 663,794 times
What part of Houston? Are they going to public now?

Old 04-25-2018, 06:07 PM

We live in Memorial area and yes, doing public and want to keep it that way. As for the question how far down I am willing to go: I am willing to go up or down but not willing sacrifice schools

Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 PM

390 posts, read 452,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_knife View Post
1.) my questions are in the main thread
2.) I'd rather not commute much but willing to sacrifice commute if it will put my kiddos in better schools
3.) I am willing to go over the budget but it will have to be a very good reason (e.g. MUCH better schools)
4.) I would much rather live in a single family home but willing to downgrade to townhouse (if the schools are better).
Also, my middle daughter is in the gymnastics team and we have to continue with that She is in a very good gym here in Houston and we would love to have something similar to that in VI.
PS We are still in Houston
Thanks for answering my questions. This will help other people help you find the best solution to your problem.

1.) I was asking what is your question about the rating system. Are you wondering why theirs a difference between GreatSchool and USNews? Based on your research, what schools stand out to you? What schools (minus TJ) are your top 3? (This will help everyone suggest neighborhoods, estimated commute times, and quality of life expectations.)

2.) What does "commute much" mean to you? 10, 15, 20, 25 minutes?

3.) When you say $1+ million, what does the "+" mean to you? Are you working with an unlimited budget? If so, you next to the best public school in the area. But, you've already started researching so you must be here because your research doesn't make sense.

4.) Have you started looking at houses online? Your current budget opens you up to almost everything that's on the market at this time. Would you like to get the best bang for your buck or is money not an object to you? Like I said in #3 above, the "+" in your budget is a big deal in this area.

5.) Tell us about your current home. Beds, baths, square footage? Are you looking to purchase something comparable or upgrade?

6.) I know your post is centered around your kids' school and what amenities are essential to you?

7.) How much are you willing to spend for gymnastics?

P.S. I say welcome to everyone asking relocation questions. If you start asking questions on CD about NOVA, you're mentally a resident.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:09 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Oh man. The home/land I could purchase in Shenandoah Co with that budget would be incredible.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,647,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Oh man. The home/land I could purchase in Shenandoah Co with that budget would be incredible.
The commute to Springfield would be awful.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Hi All, thank you for your replies. To answer your questions;
1.) I JUST started my research and have not moved very far I think McLean schools appeal to me but yet again not sure How would be the commute that way? Also, what is confusing to me is that school might be highly rated on USA yet when we start looking at feeder middle and elementary, it becomes questionable
2.) I would love to stay within 40 minutes commue but rather keep it down to 15 if possible.
3.) Let's say, we are willing to go up to 1.2M
4.) Yes, looked at the houses. West Springfield looks great "on the picture"
5.) The current home is 2800 sqrt with 4BRDs. Can downgrade from that without problem. We do want to get the best bang for our money
6.) It would be great to have easily available walking trails and/or bike.
7.) We have been in gymnastics for a while now. She is level 7. Meaning we KNOW how expensive it is. But I think again it will boil down to commute. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or