U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,430 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Arlington. Everything I read about the commute into D.C. makes it look like a nightmare. Would the commute into Arlington be just as bad? We are from NJ and looking for a home in a town with a small town feel like we are used to. Excellent schools would be our number one priority. Can anyone recommend towns with a max. commute of 30 to 40 minutes to Arlington. We can spend up to 1 mil. My dream situation would be a home on at least .50 acre in a social, family neighborhood. Is this at all possible??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM

2,018 posts, read 2,714,404 times
With a $1 million dollar budget, it is definitely possible. Vienna and McLean would be the first areas to check out. Farther west, but still within a decent commute, is Fairfax Station. It sounds like Vienna would be a good fit for you.

Good luck in your search! There are some nice homes for sale this spring!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM

1,430 posts, read 3,495,640 times
The traffic is indeed absolutely horrible in this area but a commute to Arlington from other VA suburbs will be better than going into DC mainly because you don't have to cross a bridge to get there.

Your $1 million dollar budget will allow many different possibilities. I would check into McLean and Falls Church (make sure it is in the CITY of Falls Church not Fairfax County with a Falls Church address). These two communities are known for excellent schools, family neighborhoods, and easy access to the urban centers of Arlington, Tysons Corner, and DC.

Great Falls, Vienna, and Fairfax Station are also very nice areas to look into however they are further out from Arlington and will push your 30-40 minute desired commute time.

I would also advise you to not completely rule out living in Arlington. Although over 200,000 people live in Arlington there are many neighborhoods outside of the dense Metro subway corridor (where I live) that have TONS of families. When I first moved to the DC area I rented a basement apartment in a house on the Arlington/McLean border and the entire neighborhood consisted of families with younger children. North Arlington schools also seem to be quite good from what other posters say.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM

18 posts, read 71,541 times
The homes in Arlington maintain their value....there are areas of north Arlington, like along Military Road, that are incredibly good...and there are areas in the Lyons Park community that are fabuloso also...both are upper crust and defeintely no hassle with commutes...lots of things to do so close to DC as well...great place to rasie your children.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,844,610 times
If the job is in Arlington, I would live in Arlington. You can find some great neighborhoods there.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM

2,676 posts, read 4,543,557 times
I agree with jfronz, normie and luke. I live in Arlington and it's great, though you will have trouble finding a lot that size in North Arlington, which is preferred for schools. You'll have some choices for $1 mill if you can compromise on the lot size, though you might find something better fitting you in McLean or Vienna, for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia