U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,921,971 times

Advertisements

If Section 8 people are living in Burke - they are living the good life in luxury and safety with excellent schools!

Burke is so safe it is boring - almost everyone is middle class and up and doing great - schools are good - some of the best in the country - there might be some problem schools - but nothing is perfect ANYWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 13,330 times
Oh my gosh this is alot to digest. We are considering Burke as my son will be going to a private school in the area. My husband will work at the clarendon building and it seems to be a good spot commute wise. There doesn't seem to be much available right now in the area but there are a few. Wondering if we should go even further out to avoid the gangs and bad element. My kids are hicks, they're not used to to any urban flavor, I'd like to keep it that way. Any input helpful.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonnigan View Post
Oh my gosh this is alot to digest. We are considering Burke as my son will be going to a private school in the area. My husband will work at the clarendon building and it seems to be a good spot commute wise. There doesn't seem to be much available right now in the area but there are a few. Wondering if we should go even further out to avoid the gangs and bad element. My kids are hicks, they're not used to to any urban flavor, I'd like to keep it that way. Any input helpful.
I have been living in Burke for almost 2 years. Yes, crimes of opportunity happen and there was a bank robbery recently, but it is not an unsafe area. It is a pretty safe, family-friendly area. That being said, your husband's commute won't be easy, but if you move further out, it will definitely be more challenging for him.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,921,971 times
Dont worry - there is no "urban flava" in Burke - he he - really - I have been all around Burke and you have nothing to worry about. It is not Mayberry RFD - but what is anymore?

I live in Fairfax very near Burke (some people refer to my area as Burke) and I volunteer in our elementary school - and I have to say ours is great - believe me in art the children sit quietly and listen - I walk down the hallways and you can hear a pin drop during classes and I cant believe how nicely everyone is sitting there listening and working -

Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM

380 posts, read 951,794 times
Most of the Burke neighborhoods are fine, West Springfield is also nice area.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,892 times
Wow, Luke, get up on the wrong side of the bed!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM

269 posts, read 898,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonnigan View Post
If your "kids are hicks" then Burke will not be the place for you guys! Burke is very urban (busy with lots of traffic) like most of Fairfax County, and also incredibly diverse in that at least 50% of the residents are Minority (especially Asian/Middle-Eastern) and/or Immigrant. I just moved to Burke from PG County, and now whenver I go to a grocery store I always hear at least several foreign languages being spoken, whereas in Upper Marlboro, MD I only heard English.

Now have you considered Loudon County (Ashburn area)? That's the place for a more "rural lifestyle". Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 13,330 times
No, I haven't looked into that, what would the commute be like to the clarendon building? Is there land to be had there like an acre or more, not a farm just enough for some chickens maybe?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,073 times
The commute to Clarendon would be quite a trek. Land is at a premium anywhere within commuting distance of DC, so no, I don't think you could get any decent acreage within the area you're looking at.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM

78 posts, read 222,845 times
We moved to Burke last summer. Having grown up on a ranch, I sometimes feel like I need more "elbow room" but that is probably one of the only issues I have here. The people are kind and really get to know one another, even if they are military and they know they will be moving on soon. There are always kids around to play with in the evenings and the pools are spectacular. The gangs are not the issue they are made out to be. Clifton also seems very nice. It feels more small town/ not so many house/ but you would have to look at the commute. It's a dominant issue here. You can't escape it, you just do your best to minimize it and accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or