Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyL100 View Post
We moved to Burke last summer. Having grown up on a ranch, I sometimes feel like I need more "elbow room" but that is probably one of the only issues I have here. The people are kind and really get to know one another, even if they are military and they know they will be moving on soon. There are always kids around to play with in the evenings and the pools are spectacular.
I also notice, that people around here are very friendly and really look out for one another. When I took my baby around the neighborhood for a walk over the weekend, nearly everyone I passed said "Hi", and also on the VRE near Rolling Road people will speak and strike up a conversation easily. When it was raining last week, I had my husband come pick me up, and while waiting someone even asked me if I needed a ride home!

There are at least 6 kids on my block and they play outside together all the time, and wave when my husband & I are coming-and-going. Burke is really cool in that way, many down-to-earth types who are open and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
I also notice, that people around here are very friendly and really look out for one another. When I took my baby around the neighborhood for a walk over the weekend, nearly everyone I passed said "Hi", and also on the VRE near Rolling Road people will speak and strike up a conversation easily. When it was raining last week, I had my husband come pick me up, and while waiting someone even asked me if I needed a ride home!

There are at least 6 kids on my block and they play outside together all the time, and wave when my husband & I are coming-and-going. Burke is really cool in that way, many down-to-earth types who are open and friendly.

Thanks for posting this! We are getting ready to relocate (due to job) from Washington State to VA at the end of June and have chosen to focus on the Burke area. Right now we are in a neighborhood very similar to what you are describing. Our hope is to find something like this in Burke. You put a slight smile on my face with a bit of confirmation that this will be a good move. The only thing keeping me from having a big smile is that we are getting ready to list our house in WA this week. A stressful time to have to sell a house.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM

14 posts, read 41,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Thanks for posting this! We are getting ready to relocate (due to job) from Washington State to VA at the end of June and have chosen to focus on the Burke area. Right now we are in a neighborhood very similar to what you are describing. Our hope is to find something like this in Burke. You put a slight smile on my face with a bit of confirmation that this will be a good move. The only thing keeping me from having a big smile is that we are getting ready to list our house in WA this week. A stressful time to have to sell a house.
It was interesting to hear about your relocation. My family is also relocating from Seattle to Northern Virginia in late June/early July. We just returned to Seattle from a househunting trip and we've also settled on Burke. We looked at a lot of places in VA all the way from Arlington to Woodbridge and found that Burke & West Springfield offered the closest fit to what we have here in Seattle without breaking the bank. The commute to DC, while far from "great" is about as good as we're going to get for the money we can spend. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose4 View Post
It was interesting to hear about your relocation. My family is also relocating from Seattle to Northern Virginia in late June/early July. We just returned to Seattle from a househunting trip and we've also settled on Burke. We looked at a lot of places in VA all the way from Arlington to Woodbridge and found that Burke & West Springfield offered the closest fit to what we have here in Seattle without breaking the bank. The commute to DC, while far from "great" is about as good as we're going to get for the money we can spend. Good luck with your search.
As someone who moved from Seattle to the Burke area in 2007, I think you have both made a good choice. I'm very pleased with the area and services. The commute to the city if you drive alone can be bad, especially during inclement weather, but at least you have the VRE as an option if your schedule allows it. Best wishes with your relocation.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose4 View Post
It sounds like you had a successful trip! We'll be moving the last week of June. Would love to chat more if you are interested.....pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
As someone who moved from Seattle to the Burke area in 2007, I think you have both made a good choice. I'm very pleased with the area and services. The commute to the city if you drive alone can be bad, especially during inclement weather, but at least you have the VRE as an option if your schedule allows it. Best wishes with your relocation.
Thanks! Please chime in if you have any other suggestions/advice.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 AM

11 posts, read 37,619 times
Is what luke9.54_56 said about the townhouses near Burke Center parkway true. If so, what is the best area in Burke to rent a Townhouse. I am looking for the best areas in Burke, not just the okay ones. Thanks for the help

Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM

55 posts, read 185,897 times
The commute on HOV-3 from Burke is not bad at all, in fact it is rarely backed up. If you drive you can pick up 'slugs'. There is a website for the slugline if you don't know what it is. It works very well for both drivers and riders.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 37,619 times
I was actually hoping to be able to use the VRE. My job is in Alexandria, so that would probably work out the best.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoez View Post
Is what luke9.54_56 said about the townhouses near Burke Center parkway true. If so, what is the best area in Burke to rent a Townhouse. I am looking for the best areas in Burke, not just the okay ones. Thanks for the help

The Burke Centre Parkway area is a nice section Burke, lots of trees and well kept. There is a wide variety of home sizes to fit a wide variety of budgets.

Another area of townhomes within walking distance to the VRE (Rolling Road VRE) is off Burke Road. There are townhomes down Lake Braddock Drive and Lee Chapel that are also quite nice.

Fairfax and West Springfield may be other options for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia