U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 629 times

Advertisements

Are there any new big climbing gyms planned for northern Virginia? It's the main determinant in where I'm looking to live.

Goal is to have a <1hr commute to DC, and <20 min drive to a really good climbing gym. The gym matters more, since I work remotely a lot, but climbing requires me to be on site Ideally, I'd like to live somewhere I can see trees and have a yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:43 PM

664 posts, read 1,619,322 times
I just did a quick google search and it looks like there are 3 climbing gyms in Northern Virginia.

Sport rock Climbing center Alexandria (35,000 sqf)
Sport rock Climbing center Sterling (14,000 sqf)
Vertical Rock in Manassas (I couldn't find a sqf for this on their website)

I think your housing budget will be a determining factor of which of these areas would work best for you. By "have a yard" do you mean that a small townhouse yard is ok? Or do you need a single family home?

Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 629 times
thanks!

- looking for SFH

The Alexandria gym looks good and there's one in Crystal City that would work too.

Concerned 20 min to Manassas would drag me more than an hour outside DC

Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,818,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbclimb View Post
Concerned 20 min to Manassas would drag me more than an hour outside DC
Yes, it would, by a lot. Living in PWC and driving to DC is torture. Maybe survivable since you say you remote work a lot. If you are driving during rush hour you'll be lucky to hit the edge of the beltway in an hour.

Springfield/Burke areas to look at....really depends on your budget...less than $450K will be stretching it for a SFH within an hour.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 629 times
-boyd888- thanks you. Good to have this on the ground assessment. Guess I need to stick closer to the crystal city or alexandria gyms, if Manassas is so far from DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia