U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 PM

28 posts, read 123,090 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting a job in New Carrollton, Md. That's all the way at the east end of the Orange line, according to the WMATA map. Could someone give me an idea of what my commute times via metro would be if I were to live at the other end of the Orange line (i.e. Falls Church, Ballston, Clarendon).

What would my commute time be like if I were living in Crystal City?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, how strict is the no eating/drinking policy on the Metro? I can't take a cup of coffee and a donut on there in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,042,400 times
You can calculate the time between any two stations at the Metro website. Metro - Metrorail stations (http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/stations.cfm - broken link)

And Metro is pretty strict about the food policy. Several years ago, a 12 year old was arrested for eating french fries. The trains and stations are very clean, and most regular riders would like to keep them that way....

Old 03-29-2008, 11:22 PM

28 posts, read 123,090 times
Thanks for the link! And you're right, the more I think about it the better a strict policy is. Yeah, a responsible rider should be able to clean up after themselves, but accidents happen in small, crowded spaces. If someone spilled coffee (or worse) on me, that could ruin my day.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 19,853,706 times
I see people eating and drinking on the train all of the time. Seems that many get away with it.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,607,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinDownSlow View Post
Also, how strict is the no eating/drinking policy on the Metro? I can't take a cup of coffee and a donut on there in the morning?
Well, I had a roommate who had to pay a fine for eating a chocolate bar while waiting for the train. You do see people eating (mostly discretely), but I think the policy works in keeping the trains "cleaner" than other cities.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 AM

14 posts, read 72,981 times
Quote:

Edit: Also, how strict is the no eating/drinking policy on the Metro? I can't take a cup of coffee and a donut on there in the morning?

As others here have said, Metro is serious about their policy of no eating or drinking.
That said, nothing prohibits you from carrying food onto Metro. If Metro tried to prohibit carrying food, there would be a mass revolt of those who bring their lunch from home.

It would be a good idea, if you are carrying your cup of coffee, not to sip or spill it.

JG

Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,567,747 times
Quote:
Put a lid on your coffee and keep the donut in a bag. You could probably get away with discreetly tearing off small pieces to eat. During rush hour they're not quite as strict, just because it's crowded and hard to catch everyone. I've been able to hide a small bag of chips or a bagel and surreptitiously get a few bites in.

As annoying as it is, I like the no food policy. I was on the Metro one night with a woman eating chicken wings, and while I do enjoy wings myself, in an enclosed space it was the most disgusting smell. Ever since then I'm glad that it's not a common occurrence.

More than anything, if you're openly eating you might get some dirty looks. Also, one afternoon I had a cup of coffee with me (wasn't drinking it, just holding it off to the window side of my seat) and no one would sit next to me, even though the train was pretty crowded. Not a bad trick if you want to be left alone...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM

993 posts, read 2,188,188 times
I have never had a problem drinking bottled water on Metro.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

488 posts, read 1,583,017 times
food doesn't annoy me on metro as much as those huge headphones that project music way beyond the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia