U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 AM

950 posts, read 1,287,916 times

Advertisements

If you ever wanted to be in the movies, WonderWoman 1984 has been casting for locals. It's currently filming at Landmark Mall.

https://alexandrialivingmagazine.com...er-woman-1984/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 02:35 PM

11,348 posts, read 20,125,346 times
LOL - it would be a wonder if I was cast

Old 07-01-2018, 08:59 PM

242 posts, read 136,417 times
I think you have to be dressed in 80s clothing - I donated my members only jacket to charity a long time ago

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,019,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
If you ever wanted to be in the movies, WonderWoman 1984 has been casting for locals. It's currently filming at Landmark Mall.

https://alexandrialivingmagazine.com...er-woman-1984/
The mall is about 5 minutes from my house. I hope the blow the place up. What an eyesore.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:49 PM

95 posts, read 182,724 times
I was wondering what was going on when they blocked the entrances. The only thing over there now is Sears. The mall is shutdown.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 PM

11,348 posts, read 20,125,346 times
As far as I know the Carpenter's Shelter moved into it (the old Macy's space maybe? not sure). It's been on-going for years that it would be redeveloped and has often fallen through so we'll see. Look what happened to Springfield - it's basically just another mall (and they forced many long-time tenants out). I personally like malls (esp. on a day like today - stay indoors w/A/C, also in the winter when it's "yuck" out). I do have to wonder how that Sears can hang on......

Old 07-03-2018, 03:42 PM

8,759 posts, read 10,663,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
As far as I know the Carpenter's Shelter moved into it (the old Macy's space maybe? not sure). It's been on-going for years that it would be redeveloped and has often fallen through so we'll see. Look what happened to Springfield - it's basically just another mall (and they forced many long-time tenants out). I personally like malls (esp. on a day like today - stay indoors w/A/C, also in the winter when it's "yuck" out). I do have to wonder how that Sears can hang on......
Carpenter's is there temporarily, as their own facility is being rebuilt.

What will the new building be like? - Carpenter's Shelter

per Justin Wilson

This fall, we will be initiating a re-planning effort at the Landmark Mall site. In my May newsletter, I provided an update on the efforts to accelerate Landmark Mall redevelopment. With one entity (Howard Hughes Corporation) now achieving full site control, this upcoming re-planning effort will facilitate a more comprehensive redevelopment of the site.

From the may newsletter

While no one should be convinced until they see bulldozers knocking down the existing mall site, there is a lot going on, including some significant events earlier this year. Landmark Mall redevelopment has been complicated from the beginning, but I believe we can be cautiously optimistic that it is finally coming together.
Early last year, Macy's announced the closure of their store at Landmark.
The Howard Hughes Corporation later announced that it had purchased the Macy's store site.
The Howard Hughes Corporation subsequently announced that the existing mall site is closing.
Mill Creek is now engaged to handle the residential portion of the redevelopment.
There have been discussions between the City and Howard Hughes about potential public/private partnerships that will help spur the redevelopment.
Sears spun-off a new Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) in 2015 called Seritage Growth Properties to maximize value out of their remaining real estate. The Landmark Mall Sears store property is now owned by the new REIT.
One of the largest impediments to redevelopment has been the presence of three landowners on the site. We now have two landowners on the site and we are getting closer to having one landowner with full site control.

While that is good news, the shift from a modest redevelopment of only the mall site to a more comprehensive redevelopment means some more delays as new plans are submitted for a larger area.

In the City's Indepartmental Work Program, we have now included a new process beginning imminently to re-plan the site in a more comprehensive vision. That effort should conclude in the Winter of 2019.

During the interim period a tentative agreement between the Howard Hughes Corporation and Carpenter's Shelter to temporarily house the shelter at Landmark. Carpenter's Shelter is redeveloping their existing shelter, expanding and creating new affordable housing on site in partnership with the Alexandria Housing Development Corporation.

The shelter will be at Landmark for 18 - 24 months, at which time they will return to their new location on N. Henry Street.

The redevelopment of the Landmark Mall site has been a long time in coming to fruition. I am optimistic that we are finally making real progress in this effort.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 PM

950 posts, read 1,287,916 times
I started visiting Landmark when it was an open air strip mall in the late 70's. Went there off and on in the 80's when it converted to an indoor mall (when there weren't that many of them in the area) and I was all WOW.

I have followed all the (aborted) plans for renovation of Landmark Mall. Some of them have sounded very promising and poised to take off, and then they fizzled like a damp squib.

I deeply appreciate the service that Carpenter's Shelter brings to the desperate in our community. They provide a needed service to the greater Alexandria area when there is such a dearth of those. But, are they doing the redevelopment of the Landmark Mall property any favors over and beyond a rent payment? I wish the Landmark mall owners and planners all the best in this latest endeavor but I am not holding my breath on successful redevelopment.

Speaking of redevelopment of failed commercial real estate, does anyone have updated information on nearby Victory Center on Eisenhower Ave? That has been empty for what - close to 15 years? It looked like GSA got TSA to occupy but that effort got spiked. Ditto for the recently proposed DEA relocation. There is some scuttlebutt that Virginia is dangling that property for the Amazon HQ2 relocation but my confidence in that is close to zero. Does anyone have inside knowledge of what's (currently) up with Victory Center?

Old 07-03-2018, 05:53 PM

23,536 posts, read 33,251,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The “redevelopment” talk has been going on since I was in HS. I’ve finished an undergrad degree and about to finish a grad degree since. I personally would not be inclined to put shopping there since you’d always be an afterthought compared to Pentagon City, Springfield, and once finished, Ballston.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 AM

8,759 posts, read 10,663,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I deeply appreciate the service that Carpenter's Shelter brings to the desperate in our community. They provide a needed service to the greater Alexandria area when there is such a dearth of those. But, are they doing the redevelopment of the Landmark Mall property any favors over and beyond a rent payment? I wish the Landmark mall owners and planners all the best in this latest endeavor but I am not holding my breath on successful redevelopment.

I don't think CS is either hurting or helping redevelopment. As noted above Huges control of the Macys property only occurred in 2017, and while Sears has moved their property to an REIT to focus on redevelopment, Hughes does not yet have control of it. Presumably the next step on the private sector side is for Hughes to either buy the Sears property from the REIT, or to agree to a joint venture.

Meanwhile the City will work with Hughes and the community on a revised mixed use plan, which will reflect the entire site being redeveloped, which IIUC the old plan did not, as it assumed the Sears and Macys parcels would not be included. Since that planning effort will not be complete till winter 2019, there should be enough time for CS to move back (scheduled for 2020) before ground breaking at Landmark, even being optimistic about the Landmark redevelopment timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or