U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 17,494 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving down to the DC area and found that the most "affordable" SFH appear to be in Prince Williams County. With kids in 1-7 grades, the schools are great almost any where in NOVA or Montgomery Co MD.

Work wise the job would be in McLean (Tysons) or DC (downtown near Metro - McPh Sq)

Where are the best values for the 450K - 550K range????

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,353,349 times
Working in those areas has a major setback called Traffic. It will take you at least 1 hour each way.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM

84 posts, read 335,465 times
If I were in your situation, I would probably get a condo in Ballston/Arlington, or a townhouse near Vienna metro. Oakton Elementary School is pretty good. There are townhouses in the area in your price range, and Vienna metro is only about 10 minutes away. You can take the metro to DC, and Chain Bridge Rd to McLean. It will take you about 25-55 minutes to get from Vienna Metro to DC, depends on where in DC you work. It would take you about 30-45 minutes to get to McLean.

Commuting from Price William County to DC or McLean will take you at least an hour and a half, on a good day. I used to commute from Manassas right by I-66 to Falls Church. It was horrible.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 AM

Looks like you are a train rider VRE - how is the journey to the station from Haymarket (Dominion Valley/Piedmont) and then how long is it to Union station?

Also,what about the commute from Haymarket (Dominion Valley/Piedmont) to Reston or Chantilly?

Looking at prices in the area the only viable options for a single family home looks to be the Gainsville/Haymarket area. Potomac Falls still seems to be in the 700K range. (and no, a 50's/60's/70's house is not really a choice) - I am looking for 4bed house, fairly new (post 2K) and hopefully in a neighborhood that has some amenities such as pool/trails/and even gated...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,748 times
If you want a new house with bells and whistles for about $500K, you are consigning yourself to a horrible commute. You may be able to take VRE to a DC job, but if your job is in McLean, driving will be your only option, and you can expect to spend three hours a day in the car.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 AM

So where do you suggest looking?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM

1,430 posts, read 3,484,875 times
This is a tough one. If working in McLean/Tysons area 450-550K won't get you very far in the way of a loaded single family house. I work in Tysons Corner and many new townhome developments are still starting in the low 400s, this area is prime real estate in an already expensive region.

Prince William County definitely has cheaper housing but please think carefully before you committ. A co-worker of mine lives in Dale City and it takes him an hour and a half in the morning to get to Tysons and sometimes two hours in the evening to get home. Gainesville/Haymarket area of western Prince William might be a LITTLE better but it wont be much. I seem to remember reading an article in the Post about a guy who lived out there and worked in Tysons, I think he also said it sometimes took him close to two hours to get home.

I would consider looking in the Burke or West Springfield areas of Fairfax County, they are fairly close to Tysons and have easy access into DC via the VRE or Metro subway (station is in Springfield). You will have to likely push your budget up to between 550 and 650K, a few years ago even that was a stretch in most Fairfax neighborhoods but given the current real estate situation you should be able to find something in this area. The homes might not have everything you want and may need a little work but it can be done..

Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM

173 posts, read 760,309 times
I would recommend a townhouse in the vienna oakton area. You'll have great schools for the kids, and a manageable commute so you'll be able to see them.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,748 times
Quite honestly, if your price range is under $550K, and you absolutely must have a newer home with upscale amenities, I would suggest that you look for a job in another city.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,658 times
Default down route 7

I dont know your patients with traffic but I would consider Reston, Herndon so you get more for your money.I dont know if you would be leaving before or after traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia