Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:21 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,096,873 times

Advertisements

Federal employee, has transportation subsidy up to $250 (either public transportation cost or parking cost, not both.

For considering commuting time & cost, is there any other better choice?

Start Point: Old Keene Mill Rd & Rolling R

End point: Navy Yard-Ballpark Station (Green Line)

Option 1: Take bus 18G, then transfer at Pentagon station, take yellow line to L'Enfant Plaza, then take green to Navy Yard-Ballpark Station.

Advantage: $0 after subsiby.
Disadvantage: Feel like commuting time is a little bit too much for me, but acceptable if no other significant better choice

Option 2: Drive to Springfield Metro station, take Blue line then transfer to Yellow line at King Street Station, then transfer again at L'Enfant Plaza, take green to Navy Yard-Ballpark Station.

Advantage: Not sure how much time, but guess it saves some time comparing with option 1.
Disadvantage: I need to pay parking fee.

Potential option 3? Drive to somewhere in southern Maryland, then take bus 735 ( Keller Transportation - Commuter Services ) to Navy Yard-Ballpark Station. But I am not sure if there is any free parking lot along 735 bus line, it seems it takes less time from South Maryland to Navy Yard. But it takes time to drive to South Maryland.

Potential option 4? Driving to navy yard directly? But one person can NOT drive on 395 HOV lane, the traffic must be bad on non-HOV lanes.

Any other better commuting options?

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 08-08-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,571,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Federal employee, has transportation subsidy up to $250 (either public transportation cost or parking cost, not both.

For considering commuting time & cost, is there any other better choice?

Start Point: Old Keene Mill Rd & Rolling R

End point: Navy Yard-Ballpark Station (Green Line)

Option 1: Take bus 18G, then transfer at Pentagon station, take yellow line to L'Enfant Plaza, then take green to Navy Yard-Ballpark Station.

Advantage: $0 after subsiby.
Disadvantage: Feel like commuting time is a little bit too much for me, but acceptable if no other significant better choice

Option 2: Drive to Springfield Metro station, take Blue line then transfer to Yellow line at King Street Station, then transfer again at L'Enfant Plaza, take green to Navy Yard-Ballpark Station.

Advantage: Not sure how much time, but guess it saves some time comparing with option 1.
Disadvantage: I need to pay parking fee.

Potential option 3? Drive to somewhere in southern Maryland, then take bus 735 ( Keller Transportation - Commuter Services ) to Navy Yard-Ballpark Station. But I am not sure if there is any free parking lot along 735 bus line, it seems it takes less time from South Maryland to Navy Yard. But it takes time to drive to South Maryland.

Potential option 4? Driving to navy yard directly? But one person can NOT drive on 395 HOV lane, the traffic must be bad on non-HOV lanes.

Any other better commuting options?

Thanks.
What are your work hours. I drive to the Navy Yard from Woodbridge and it's fine, but I go early. I don't know if I'd deal with all that bus stuff. You could also slug.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM

19,014 posts, read 16,833,648 times
Drive to Springfield, take the blue, transfer at Regan to the yellow then the green, this is life in the Metro. If you want less hassle relocate to Richmond..

Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,505,940 times
I have done the bus to Pentagon metro to Yellow to Green to Navy Yard, both from Annandale and from Alexandria.

The express bus can be handy, avoiding traffic, can actually be faster than metro rail.

The Yellow to Green line thing though is annoying. Easily takes 30 minutes or so Pentagon to Navy Yrd.

It motivated me to start biking. At first taking the bike on the bus, then riding from Pentagon to NY. Now I live in Alexandria and just bike the whole way more often than not.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What are your work hours. I drive to the Navy Yard from Woodbridge and it's fine, but I go early. I don't know if I'd deal with all that bus stuff. You could also slug.
Do you drive on 395 or drive to southern Maryland? What time do you get to Navy Yard? What is approximate monthly commercial parking fee around Navy Yard (walking distance from metro station)?

Where is slug station nearby my start point? And slug directly to Navy Yard? Or to Pentagon?

New job has not started yet, but I guess core working hours is from 9am to 3pm, which is common in most agencies. Total working hour should be 8.5 hours (including half an hour lunch time), the earlier I come, the earlier I can leave.

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 08-08-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Drive to Springfield, take the blue, transfer at Regan to the yellow then the green, this is life in the Metro. If you want less hassle relocate to Richmond..
This is my Option 2, but I guess it does not save much time from Option 1, or almost same time. Option 2 requires me paying parking fee. That being said, I actually prefer Option 1 than Option 2.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I have done the bus to Pentagon metro to Yellow to Green to Navy Yard, both from Annandale and from Alexandria.

The express bus can be handy, avoiding traffic, can actually be faster than metro rail.

The Yellow to Green line thing though is annoying. Easily takes 30 minutes or so Pentagon to Navy Yrd.

It motivated me to start biking. At first taking the bike on the bus, then riding from Pentagon to NY. Now I live in Alexandria and just bike the whole way more often than not.
Bike from Pentagon to Navy Yard, I guess it takes more than 20 minutes? Not much time saving than taking metro from Pentagon to NY. I don't like taking bike on bus, I feel like wasting other person's time. In the morning, everyone is in rush, it takes a little time to put the bike on the track in front of bus.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM

6,512 posts, read 8,298,152 times
Another option park at the Anacostia Metro Station and take metro to Navy Yard.

How long it takes you to drive there will depend upon your work hours. If you leave at 6:00am, it would probably be about a 35 minute drive via 495 & 295. And then a 5 minute train ride.

It would cost about $9 a day in fares and parking.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Another option park at the Anacostia Metro Station and take metro to Navy Yard.

How long it takes you to drive there will depend upon your work hours. If you leave at 6:00am, it would probably be about a 35 minute drive via 495 & 295. And then a 5 minute train ride.
Yes. Your suggestion seems saving some time, I thought about driving to Southern Maryland, but prefer to have free parking lot then take bus or something. That is my Option 3.

Edit: after second thought, Anacostia Metro Station is already very close to Navy Yard, I would rather drive to Navy Yard directly and park there (let employer pay the parking fee). If parking at Anacostia Metro Station, I have to pay metro cost or parking cost, I need to pay one of them, employer does not reimburse both.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 PM

6,512 posts, read 8,298,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Yes. Your suggestion seems saving some time, I thought about driving to Southern Maryland, but prefer to have free parking lot then take bus or something. That is my Option 3.
You’ll have to weigh what’s more important - time or money. I’d pay $4.45 for the convenience of parking at Anacostia especially since it’s being subsidized.

Responding to your edit: I don’t know the parking situation around Navy Yard (availability and cost) but that is an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia