U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,376 times

Advertisements

I expect NOVA about 15 degrees Fahrenheit warmer then Toronto.

Winters aren't bad. We have a lot of sunny days, and the temperature is usually in the 40s. Winter starts in December, and ends typically in March. Not that it really matters.

NOVA hardly gets much snow, but react absurdly to every snowflake. Though this may be because we've got a total of 3 snow plows (exaggeration, we've got at least 4 )

Summers are hot, humid, and overall yucky, and last from June to September.
As a transplant from Cleveland, the winters are far nicer, and the summers are only somewhat more miserable
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:27 AM

5 posts, read 13,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
In March people are wearing shorts and sandals - I have my sandals on right now.
There was about 2 inches of snow this year - kinda dissapointed. People panic at the smallest amount of snow. Schools close for nothing. I guess ice is a problem though

Really? You can wear shorts and sandals in March? So winter is pretty short, and it feels like early summer right after winter?

Can it get very icy in winter? How often does temperature drop below freezing degree? Do you get freezing rain (Toronto gets a few of these every winter, which is even worse than snow)?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 AM

5 posts, read 13,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamplear View Post
I expect NOVA about 15 degrees Fahrenheit warmer then Toronto.

Winters aren't bad. We have a lot of sunny days, and the temperature is usually in the 40s. Winter starts in December, and ends typically in March. Not that it really matters.

NOVA hardly gets much snow, but react absurdly to every snowflake. Though this may be because we've got a total of 3 snow plows (exaggeration, we've got at least 4 )

Summers are hot, humid, and overall yucky, and last from June to September.
As a transplant from Cleveland, the winters are far nicer, and the summers are only somewhat more miserable

Sounds like winter is very tolerable, but summer is not too pleasant in NoVA. I used to live in California (San Francisco Bay Area) where both winter and summer are very mild. Toronto's harsh winter totally blows me away so I want to get out, but is miserable summer hard to handle as well? Maybe I should come for a visit in summer just to experience it. Which month is the hottest, July or August?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,091,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingDreamLand View Post
Sounds like winter is very tolerable, but summer is not too pleasant in NoVA. I used to live in California (San Francisco Bay Area) where both winter and summer are very mild. Toronto's harsh winter totally blows me away so I want to get out, but is miserable summer hard to handle as well? Maybe I should come for a visit in summer just to experience it. Which month is the hottest, July or August?
It varies from year to year. I think August is usually the hotter month, but if you want to experience Nova at its worst come in July. That's because you'll experience the bad traffic in July, too. Traffic and crowds in August become light because a LOT of people (especially govt. workers) take long vacations and leave the area. For that reason August is a pretty nice time of year.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM

250 posts, read 237,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingDreamLand View Post
Really? You can wear shorts and sandals in March? So winter is pretty short, and it feels like early summer right after winter?

Can it get very icy in winter? How often does temperature drop below freezing degree? Do you get freezing rain (Toronto gets a few of these every winter, which is even worse than snow)?
Here is the climate data from DC. You can click on each month and find out the normal highs and lows, and records. National Normals, Means, and Extremes

As a Minnesotan, I am probably from even a colder climate than Toronto. I find that winters here are practically non-existent. We had less than 5" of snow this year, and there hasn't been over 20" since the 03-04 winter. The other factor is that the snow melts right away. Back in Feb '06 there was an overnight snowfall in the range of 10" (suburbs more). By the morning, the roads near me were wet and clear and the temperatures were above freezing!!

The summers are hot and humid. The end of July and start of August is the worst. There will be streaks of days were the temperature does not drop below 75F at night. I basically go from my air conditioned apartment, to air conditioned car, to air conditioned workplace. To me 90 degrees is far worse than 10 degrees because you can always put on a coat and a hat if it is cold.

Bottom line, there is basically no winter in DC, but summers are pretty unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: