Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 21,329 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how does winter in Northern Virginia compare to Toronto, Canada? Winter in Toronto can last 5 months (Nov-March) among which a couple of months are almost unbearably cold. Is winter in Northern Virginia much milder and less snowier? I'm in search of a more ideal place to live, in terms of moderate winter, culture diversity, open mindness and good education system. I though Northern Virginia could be one of those places. I need to get out of the cold long winter in Canada within the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,010 times
I can tell you first hand, I used to live in Buffalo. The winters down here in VA are much better than Canada. On the contrary, the Hockey and Curling is nowhere to be found . There are also no Tim Horton's restaurants down here either. The toll roads down here suck compaired to the 301ETR. You can find fellow Canadians at the Canadian Embassy in DC. The traffic is extremely bad compaired to where you live. Divirsity is about the same and food is about the same. No Yonge streets down here either.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,698 times
The folks we know from Canada scoff at the winters here in Northern Virginia. You will love it here. There are usually only a handful of unbearably cold days (not months), and this winter there were virtually none. Usual total winter snowall is about 18 inches -- this winter, it was far less than that.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
FWIW, we didn't need the snowblower this year. We poured the gas into the lawn mower. The kids started mowing the lawn last week--and it had grown so high it really needed it.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Much milder. You'll get a kick out of the snow-frenzy that people whip themselves into for a whopping 3 inches of snow.....if that. I know I do!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,329 times
Thanks for all the replies. It's great to know that winter in NoVA is much more bearable.

Normie mentioned that you guys didn't even need to use the snowblower this year? Toronto has one of the biggest snow falls in 30 years this past winter! My husband had to get a new 10-horse power snowblower for our big drive way! On one of the big snowy days in Feb, it took my husband 4 hours to drive home from work, and that path usually takes no more than 1 hour on a good day.

Vre332, how does summer in NoVA compare to Buffalo/Toronto? I heard it's more tropical and humid? Also, does NoVA have more parks and is more scenic than Toronto? I could care less about hockey or curling, but I do like to be surrounded by lots of recreation places and outdoor activities.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:22 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,698 times
Of course, you pay for the mild winter with hot and humid summers. July is usually the worst. But everything is air-conditioned, and you'll soon learn NOT to head out on your run after 9 am....
Lots of parks, bike paths, recreational facilities, hiking trails, etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingDreamLand View Post
I do like to be surrounded by lots of recreation places and outdoor activities.
You will be very happy here, then. Nova has an abundance of parks. There are hundreds of fun hiking trails (although not too much in the way of hills to climb). Equestrian activities are big in the western suburbs. Be sure to check out kayaking on the Potomac. You can rent a kayak for a half day at Riverbend park for $15.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingDreamLand View Post

Vre332, how does summer in NoVA compare to Buffalo/Toronto? I heard it's more tropical and humid? Also, does NoVA have more parks and is more scenic than Toronto? I could care less about hockey or curling, but I do like to be surrounded by lots of recreation places and outdoor activities.
Oh yea, more humid, and it will feel extremely hot in the summertime. It will take you some time to get used to this weather. A/C in your car is a MUST HAVE. My old car never had a/c but had studded snow tires haha.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
In March people are wearing shorts and sandals - I have my sandals on right now.
There was about 2 inches of snow this year - kinda dissapointed. People panic at the smallest amount of snow. Schools close for nothing. I guess ice is a problem though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: