Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

I am so worried about heavy rain, since my roof is somewhat leaking. I don't have the chance to get it replaced till the end of next month.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:28 AM

529 posts, read 750,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I am so worried about heavy rain, since my roof is somewhat leaking. I don't have the chance to get it replaced till the end of next month.

Thanks.
if you already have a contractor finalized to fix your roof, ask them to put tarp on your roof, especially areas where its leaking.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
if you already have a contractor finalized to fix your roof, ask them to put tarp on your roof, especially areas where its leaking.
Have not finalized yet, still interviewing contractors, then suddenly hurricane is coming, this is crazy. Most contractors don't do emergency service, even if I settle down a contractor now, it will not be done till the end of next month. Now bad weather will push the schedule further behind.

How much rainfall should I expect in Fairfax? Actually quite far away from NC/SC, hope the hurricane will weaken when hits mainland. I am not sure how serious it the hurricane (for Fairfax residents).

There is already too much rain this summer.

Last edited by Baike; 09-11-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 AM

529 posts, read 750,223 times
It will be at least a few inches of rain. This is enough to cause damage.

You call whoever is available to just put the tarp and you can go ahead with roof replacement after hurricane.
These guys will be very busy post hurricane, lot of people from this area will even go down south to most affected areas as they can get good business.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
"non-essential" government employees will get liberal leave; Shirley Highway will look like a ghost town..The 17 essential workers, who show up will clean the restrooms as scheduled.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
"non-essential" government employees will get liberal leave; Shirley Highway will look like a ghost town..The 17 essential workers, who show up will clean the restrooms as scheduled.

Is that serious in Fairfax??? I don't think I can get anyone for emergent roof care (putting on tarp or whatever). It is raining till hurricane, and I am busy at work.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:03 AM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
Two pieces of advice:

1. If you do not yet have a tarp, go NOW to Home Depot to buy it, assuming they still have any in stock given the usual pre-hurricane rush to stock up on generators, batteries, tarps, etc.

2. You said you are still interviewing roofing contractors. I strongly suggest you pick one NOW that you are comfortable with to get on their work schedule. I had a small roof leak at the end of July, and when I started to contact roofing companies highly rated by Consumer Checkbook, I was told the earliest someone could come to even just look at the roof was two to three weeks -- with an additional wait of two to three weeks after that to do any actual repair. (One company actually said it would be 10 to 13 weeks). Other roofing companies I checked with said they already had so much work that they were only working very close to home, were only doing repairs in winter, or were only doing repairs for existing customers. It appears that with all the rain we have had this summer, roofing companies are absolutely swamped (no pun intended) with more work than they can handle. I would expect that backlog to only get worse with the upcoming storm.

As suggested by LuvVA, you may want to see if you can at least get a handyman or gutter cleaning company to put a tarp up on your roof before Friday as an interim fix.

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Two pieces of advice:

1. If you do not yet have a tarp, go NOW to Home Depot to buy it, assuming they still have any in stock given the usual pre-hurricane rush to stock up on generators, batteries, tarps, etc.

2. You said you are still interviewing roofing contractors. I strongly suggest you pick one NOW that you are comfortable with to get on their work schedule. I had a small roof leak at the end of July, and when I started to contact roofing companies highly rated by Consumer Checkbook, I was told the earliest someone could come to even just look at the roof was two to three weeks -- with an additional wait of two to three weeks after that to do any actual repair. (One company actually said it would be 10 to 13 weeks). Other roofing companies I checked with said they already had so much work that they were only working very close to home, were only doing repairs in winter, or were only doing repairs for existing customers. It appears that with all the rain we have had this summer, roofing companies are absolutely swamped (no pun intended) with more work than they can handle. I would expect that backlog to only get worse with the upcoming storm.

As suggested by LuvVA, you may want to see if you can at least get a handyman or gutter cleaning company to put a tarp up on your roof before Friday as an interim fix.

Good luck.

Even if I can get tarp from HD, not sure how to DIY to put it on. Just ordered one from Amazon, it seems it is self-adhesive. Found it on HD website but not in local store, it takes too many days to arrive in HD local store. Searched it on Amazon, fast shipping, hopefully get it by Thursday.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Two pieces of advice:

Good luck.
The other reason I don't "want" to settle a contractor now, since I am thinking if hurricane damages the roof, maybe I can make a claim it to insurance company. So it will need insurance company to come by and investigate before new roof replacement?

Will insurance company cover pre-scheduled roof replacement(due to old shingles) if hurricane does cost a lot of damage on the shingles?

Last edited by Baike; 09-11-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 03:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post

Thanks.
There is already a NoVa thread on the hurricane - Florence in NoVa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: