U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 1,933 times

Advertisements

My husband is a federal employee and recently accepted a 1 year assignment (ETDY) in DC. Since we homeschool, the kids and I will be accompanying him. We will be staying in corporate housing in Alexandria, but will be keeping our homestead (mortgage) in FL. We will also be keeping our residency in FL. Since the whole family is going and we would like to travel around the northeast, we are bringing our vehicle. That's where I need help.

I've scoured the internet and read all the Virginia DMV rules and Alexandria rules. I know we need to get an Alexandria decal for our vehicle. How do I get that for a non-resident vehicle? I emailed Alexandria and they said I needed a letter from the Virginia DMV, which just confused me more. Will Virginia allow us to keep the vehicle registered in FL but garaged in VA for a year? What do I need to do?

What do other non-residents do with their vehicles? There has to be lots of people coming to the area for more than a 30-60 days on business. But the information online is hard to figure out.

I'm trying to get this all sorted out before we arrive in order to avoid citations. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:07 PM

10,598 posts, read 12,446,173 times
Someone here probably knows and I won't be of much help, but if can stand to go on hold for a while with the Virginia DMV, they have actually been pretty helpful to me in answering some odd questions. They are open on Saturday mornings so you could just give them a call.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:46 PM

5,344 posts, read 6,271,293 times
I'm pretty sure that only active duty military are permitted to keep their driver's license, vehicle title, registration, and tags from their home state for any length of time.

Non-military people who do not intend to become Virginia residents (and therefore are considered non-residents) may operate their vehicles in Virginia with their out-of-state tags and registration for 60 days.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ction46.2-656/

For keeping your car in Alexandria, you'll need to get a City of Alexandria sticker, regardless.

https://www.alexandriava.gov/CarTax

Old 09-17-2018, 05:04 PM

24,325 posts, read 34,358,996 times
Not that I encourage this but my roommates have kept their out of state plates on their cars and there really isn’t much county officials can do since they are parking on private property. It by the book is against the rules but as far as enforcement, the county I live in isn’t that hard up about it. The City of Alexandria is a different story if you plan to use street parking.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM

2,612 posts, read 3,316,983 times
per the above 46.2-656:

"a nonresident owner of a passenger car which has been registered for the current calendar year in the state or country of which the owner is a resident and which at all times when operated in the Commonwealth displays the license plate or plates issued for such vehicle in the place of residence of such owner, may operate or permit the operation of such passenger car within or partly within this Commonwealth for a period of six months without registering the passenger car or paying any fees to the Commonwealth." .

According to the above, a simple solution would be; on or around day 175 of your TDY, schedule a trip home (or anywhere for that matter) for a weekend, secure hotel receipts, restaurant receipts, (for proof you were outside the state of VA) and return to VA for the remainder of your TDY.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,913,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
According to the above, a simple solution would be; on or around day 175 of your TDY, schedule a trip home (or anywhere for that matter) for a weekend,
No you don't get to drive out of the state for a week every six months to avoid paying your fees. The sixth months refers to the calendar year, as in the car is leaving the state for the rest of the calendar year. Also if you live here that makes you a resident so it doesn't matter anyway. Also also 46.2-658 discusses using a vehicle regularly in VA for purposes other than pleasure...

OP, a one year assignment makes you a resident of VA for tax purposes as you will be here for more than 183 days. You live in VA and husband is employed in VA. *Technically* you need to switch everything over within 30 days. However, for one year I agree it is a giant pain in the butt and honestly I would do nothing if you have off street parking. The fines are pretty small and there are tons of cars around (college students and the like) with out of state plates. If you are street parking consider at least getting the county decal.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the comments. I am well aware of the Alexandria decal and plan to get one. Our vehicle will be in an apartment complex garage. Alexandria told me,

"In addition to our local Car Tax, Alexandria City Ordinance § 3-2-403 and 404 also imposes an out-of-state license plate tax and penalty of $350 upon the owners of motor vehicles that do not display current Virginia license plates and are not otherwise exempt under Virginia law. In order to avoid having to pay the penalty, you will need to provide an Official Letter from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), referencing the VIN(s) impacted, along with a statement that explicitly states the cited vehicle(s) is not required to obtain a Virginia vehicle registration."

I'm just confused on how to get that letter.

My husband's employer told him that as long as we are in VA less than 365 days we won't have a tax issue. In fact they have been very adamant about making sure his travel orders are just that. After some math, I determined we'll be in VA about 10 1/2 months, but not consecutively.

Technically, my husband will continue to be paid by FL not VA.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM

I wonder if it would matter that the vehicle tag/registration is solely in my name and I will be unemployed. It's like a glorified vacation for me. LOL! Husband will be solely listed on the corporate housing lease and his pay continues to come from FL.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,913,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammomof3 View Post

You can't get that letter, because you aren't exempt, because you will be living in VA. You keep asking for a loophole, but there isn't one. You are legally required to register your car in VA because you are moving here. You can go to the DMV and explain your situation, but they are 100% by the book and "temporary" work assignment means nothing. Exemptions are like military, car owned by gov't, diplomats, etc.

That is why I suggested doing nothing. It is a pain in the butt to figure out (because you are in denial about having to change your plates over) so it is easier to just do nothing. The late fees and fines really aren't that bad. No one is going to catch your car if it is parked in private garage.

VA also considers you a resident for tax purposes if you here more than 183 days of the year.
https://tax.virginia.gov/residency-status

Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 PM

8,286 posts, read 12,977,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammomof3 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I am well aware of the Alexandria decal and plan to get one. Our vehicle will be in an apartment complex garage. Alexandria told me,

"In addition to our local Car Tax, Alexandria City Ordinance § 3-2-403 and 404 also imposes an out-of-state license plate tax and penalty of $350 upon the owners of motor vehicles that do not display current Virginia license plates and are not otherwise exempt under Virginia law. In order to avoid having to pay the penalty, you will need to provide an Official Letter from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), referencing the VIN(s) impacted, along with a statement that explicitly states the cited vehicle(s) is not required to obtain a Virginia vehicle registration."

My husband's employer told him that as long as we are in VA less than 365 days we won't have a tax issue. In fact they have been very adamant about making sure his travel orders are just that. After some math, I determined we'll be in VA about 10 1/2 months, but not consecutively.

Technically, my husband will continue to be paid by FL not VA.
I don't understand why your employer would say that. If the car is primarily parked/garaged in Alexandria (which it will be) you need to register it with the City of Alexandria within 30 days of moving the vehicle into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or