U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 AM

734 posts, read 1,728,572 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (with 2 young daughters) are looking to move to Woodbridge/Lorton area next month. I will be working in DC near the Capitol. We've noticed a few cheap SFHs for rent in the Marumsco Hills/Acres subdivisions in 22191.

Do the Marumsco neighborhoods have gang problems? If so, is it wannabe toughs handing out at the park or drugs/shootings? Also, I know there is Omnilink to the Metro, and the VRE a little north of Marumsco. What other public transit options would people recommend, if any? (Slug lines are 3 miles away, and we only have and can afford 1 car. )

From reading mentions of 22191, I get the sense there are a number of Hispanics in that area. That's not an issue for us, as my wife is Hispanic, too. However, if there are other problems or advantages to those areas, we would be happy to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 AM

76 posts, read 279,031 times
If that's not the rear end of NoVa; I don't know what is. The Popeye's manager was murdered near there a few months ago. I avoid the whole area. I've heard the schools are in about the bottom third, nationally.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 PM

141 posts, read 688,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
My wife and I (with 2 young daughters) are looking to move to Woodbridge/Lorton area next month. I will be working in DC near the Capitol. We've noticed a few cheap SFHs for rent in the Marumsco Hills/Acres subdivisions in 22191.

Do the Marumsco neighborhoods have gang problems? If so, is it wannabe toughs handing out at the park or drugs/shootings? Also, I know there is Omnilink to the Metro, and the VRE a little north of Marumsco. What other public transit options would people recommend, if any? (Slug lines are 3 miles away, and we only have and can afford 1 car. )

From reading mentions of 22191, I get the sense there are a number of Hispanics in that area. That's not an issue for us, as my wife is Hispanic, too. However, if there are other problems or advantages to those areas, we would be happy to hear them.

If you are interested in moving to Prince William County, specificaly the Woodbridge area, why not look into the Lake Ridge area zip code 22192. The schools are pretty well rated in this zip code. Very family friendly, safe, many couples with children, etc. Personally, I have been to the Marumsco area, and my husband and I did not care for the area at all. I personally would not live there.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
If you are interested in moving to Prince William County, specificaly the Woodbridge area, why not look into the Lake Ridge area zip code 22192. The schools are pretty well rated in this zip code. Very family friendly, safe, many couples with children, etc. Personally, I have been to the Marumsco area, and my husband and I did not care for the area at all. I personally would not live there.
We are looking at a few places in Lake Ridge, too. The problem is that our upper limit is $1500/mo. 22191 offers more for that price and under, which would allow us to save some money towards a purchase in a few years.

We don't mind living in a blue collar neighborhood. If Marumsco is just a little scruffy behind the ears compared to 22192, but still filled with hard-working, honest families, we'll be fine with that. If it's more like an inner-city neighborhood (and we've lived in that environment in Chicago), we would prefer to pass.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:21 PM

555 posts, read 2,433,295 times
Quote:

I'd stay far away from that area. It's got nothing to do with Hispanic, it's got to do with section 8 housing. I'd stick with Lake Ridge or go west to Gainesville or Bristow. Montclair is nice as well.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 PM

141 posts, read 688,003 times
Quote:
We are looking at a few places in Lake Ridge, too. The problem is that our upper limit is $1500/mo. 22191 offers more for that price and under, which would allow us to save some money towards a purchase in a few years.

We don't mind living in a blue collar neighborhood. If Marumsco is just a little scruffy behind the ears compared to 22192, but still filled with hard-working, honest families, we'll be fine with that. If it's more like an inner-city neighborhood (and we've lived in that environment in Chicago), we would prefer to pass.
Please heed nitrovic's advice. It is not a nice area at all. I have not been to the inner cities of Chicago to compare, however, I would say that you would be sorely disappointed moving to the Marumsco area. I am sure that with the market being the way it is, you may find some homes available for rent in the 22192 in your price range. Good luck with it all! try militarybyowner.com or craigslist.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 24,024 times
Quote:

Problems with Marumsco Hills....it's an older neighborhood so the houses are older and may need updating...correction WILL need updating. The area is predominantly hispanic. I happen to like that aspect as I'm from NJ and 51% of my hometown is Hispanic so it feels like home to me. If you want a better choice for the money I'd go to Lake Ridge. It's literally around the corner. Look somewhere around Tacket's Mill. That's actually 1 major commuter lot. Horner Rd. (the biggest lot in N. Virginia) is only 2 minutes away.

As far as public trans..you said it all. VRE, Omniride and Omni-link are all we have in this county! Unfortunately. I myself live in this neighborhood and actually this is my second time there. I loved it and when I moved I hated myself until I moved back. Crime is low or not-existant..at least I haven't seen or heard anything. Family life is great. Great HOA. I walk to either the Omni-Ride or they stop along Old Bridge Rd. (at certain locations) and that'll take you all the way to DC. It's all around a better location. If you want more specific info PM me.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 30,485 times
Quote:

Did you move to Marumsco Hills and do you like your neighborhood? I'm considering buying a house in Marumsco Hills, thank you.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee27 View Post
Did you move to Marumsco Hills and do you like your neighborhood? I'm considering buying a house in Marumsco Hills, thank you.
We ended up renting somewhere else in the Woodbridge area. I sent a DM with more details. Please let C-D users know your impressions of the area if you do buy a house there!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
The murdered Popeye's manager was no where near Marumsco Hills. That said, I'd stay far from MH if at all possible. You could do worse but the area still has a lot of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia