U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,064,211 times

Advertisements

What I like:
Housing is affordable to people with 5-figure incomes, there are plenty of condos and townhouses under $400k, especially if you leave Fairfax Co. Cheap rentals can be found too if you need to save some money. Taxes are not too high. There are buses for school children. TJHSST is an excellent school, other schools are okay. Metro is an very well planned, and clean system, too bad it is getting crowded. The reversible HOV lanes on the I-395 are good for commuting. Electricity doesn't cost a fortune, neither does gas, and gasoline is not ridiculous. There are many jobs, and they pay well. Essentially you don't have to spend a huge chunk of your salary on essentials.

Don't care for:
The weather, 95 degrees and 95% humidity during the summer is horrible. Single digit lows in the winter is very cold, wintry mix is not good either. The drivers are very aggressive. You need to drive long distances to get anywhere, there are no town centers, downtown areas for the towns, (except for Reston Town Center). The variety of restaurants is not as good as here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,367,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting. I've never heard this phrase before, wonder where it originated.
I started using it to describe places where I traveled while in the military. I got it from an old Hank Williams Jr. song (an obscure one). In the song, he's down in Central America (IIRC) and in trouble. So he calls up and says "Send lawyers, guns and money. The *^&% has hit the fan."

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,043,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke9.54_56 View Post
I heard that Detroit's median home prices are $20,000.yes, that's five zeroes.
Counts 1 2 3 4.... that's four zeros.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 AM

45 posts, read 149,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I started using it to describe places where I traveled while in the military. I got it from an old Hank Williams Jr. song (an obscure one). In the song, he's down in Central America (IIRC) and in trouble. So he calls up and says "Send lawyers, guns and money. The *^&% has hit the fan."
Completely off subject, but that is not a Hank Williams Jr. song.

It was written and sung by Warren Zevon in 1978 on his Excitable Boy albulm. And it is not that obscure, I still here it played on classic rock stations quite a bit.

Hank Williams Jr. did a cover of it in 1985.

Sorry, one of my favorite songs. Couldn't let that one slide.

Continue on.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,367,703 times
Thanks TCJohnson. I never looked it up. LOL. I suppose I should have

Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 PM

757 posts, read 1,332,320 times
...I never knew there was a Hank Williams Jr. version. I'm a classic rock guy myself, so I learned something new here.

Anyway, as others have said, the different areas of NOVA have different things to offer. I live in Western Fairfax (and am on the way to Ashburn). The reason why I like this place, and keep convincing my wife not to leave, is it has what I call "the best of both worlds." If I go 25-30 minutes east (on Sat afternoon, without traffic) I'm in a city that has all I could look for in a city, musuems, restaurants, sports teams, concerts, plays, as much as just about any city in the country except maybe NY (I've never spent significant time in Chicago, so I can't compare). If I drive 30-50 minutes west, I'm camping in Shanendoah National Park, or hanging out at an apple orchard, where it's just me, some trees, and wild animals. I've spend time in lots of places, and haven't found anything quite like NOVA in this regard, although a few places came close.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 100,472 times
I really love the Fairfax County Park Authority. Get their Parktakes catalog (or go online to Parktakes). They have many rec centers in the county with many different facilities, classes, even preschool, field trips, nature adventures, something for everyone. I used to live in the City of Alexandria with small kids and was bored. Moving to Ffx County and finding the rec centers was awesome. So many things for kids and families to do.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,258 times
Default Compare

Stay in rural VA for a few weeks then move to No. Va. Need I say more. It's like moving to a whole new world. Open minded people, diversity, culture, variety of food, nightlife. Can you tell I missed No. VA. I hate rural VA, if it weren't for my job I would have skyed up (moved) a long time ago. See, I'm even using the local language. See ya'll later.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
What do I like about Northern Virginia?

It's home!

I like to say that I was born and raised in Fairfax County but that's not exactly true. I was born at Alexandria Hospital (the OLD one on Duke Street in the heart of Old town).

The reason for that is that there was NO hospital in Fairfax County in 1951...our wonderful Inova Fairfax Hospital wasn't founded until 1956. You had to go to either Alexandria or Arlington Hospitals is those days.....or push that baby out at home!

I was raised in Annandale, which was the equivalent of Fredericksburg in those days in terms of longest commutes. Annandale was WAY out there in the '50s.

I lived (and still do) off Hummer Rd, near Rt 236 and the Beltway....the building of which was the beginning of the end....before the Beltway opened in 1963 (or 4?), this area was still country.

I wish you guys could have seen this place before it became what it is today....before everybody drove with their knee so they'd have both hands free....to flip you off with one and hold the damned cell phone with the other.

Out on Lee Hwy near where Wegman's is now was the SUPER 29 drive-in theatre and Old Virginia City. That's right, Old Virginia City....a theme park, but they didn't call them that back then. It was a replica "western" town, complete with calf ropin', staged gunfights and a saloon full of dancing girls (Fairfax High School students made up most of the cast). Stockings, garter belts, fake mustaches, and Colt .44s loaded with blanks. I saw my first frilly bloomers there!

Nothing like that around here now....just growing hordes of pissed off people that would sooner kill you as not to get to the next traffic light first.

I recently purchased a bit of oceanfront sand at Rodanthe, NC (OBX). It might be time to move on down there soon since my beloved NOVA has become SO, SO different from what it once was.

Oh, I also remember saving for my first transistor radio....$3.98 at People's Drug (now CVS). I wanted to listen to Wolfman Jack on that BIG illegal AM station in Mexico....and to WEEL Radio in Fairfax broadcasting from the American Legion Hall on Oak Street (near present day Paul VI HS). That was old time radio! They used to broadcast "Battles of the Bands"....free admission as long as you screamed your lungs out when the Dave Clark Five and Herman's Hermits got on stage. Gasoline was 28 cents a gallon or so and we cruised all night in V-8 Chevies and Fords on a few bucks....although we used to **** and moan about gas prices even back then!

We drank a little if we could raid dad's liquor cabinet....and in later years smoked a little pot, but that was it.

Contrast that to today, where teens are mainlining heroin...one of my students came within an inch of ODing the other day. I suppose she might succeed the next time....what a beautiful, screwed up young girl.....

Last edited by car54; 04-13-2008 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:31 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERESWHATISAY View Post
Stay in rural VA for a few weeks then move to No. Va. Need I say more. It's like moving to a whole new world. Open minded people, diversity, culture, variety of food, nightlife. Can you tell I missed No. VA. I hate rural VA, if it weren't for my job I would have skyed up (moved) a long time ago. See, I'm even using the local language. See ya'll later.

How's that moonshine operation in your backyard ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia