U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to move back to NoVA with my family from the Eastern Shore of MD. I have no idea what to expect pay wise for a relatively new grad RN and I'm not necessarily sure where to begin looking.. I have around 4 years experience in a level 3 trauma center as both a tech and an LPN.

What should I expect salary wise, and what are some family-friendly areas? I'm from Woodbridge, and I know its not the greatest area but it seems so affordable which makes it very attractive. I plan on working either in Fairfax or in DC.

My wife is also a career woman and currently works in HR as a benefits coordinator. She has every license for insurance under the sun and she plans on continuing with that career path. Again, we aren't sure what to expect with a salary in her field either.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 05:18 PM

11,367 posts, read 20,163,370 times
I don't know that there are any nurses that post here but surely there is a way to Google salaries?

Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Not sure how long you've been gone but Woodbridge has improved in many areas. Still some areas I'd avoid but all in all Woodbridge has seen some nice improvements. Feel free to ask me about certain neighborhoods as I retired after 30 years with PWCPD. I've been gone for a while but will still know most of the area very well.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 AM

2,410 posts, read 3,058,632 times
Nursing wages in VA cities/areas. New grad will most likely be less.

If you are currently employed in the trauma center, why not stay there to gain more experience as an RN before contemplating a move ? More experience equates to more demand for your services and more $$$.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-30-2018, 01:46 PM

945 posts, read 663,794 times
I have a friend who just interviewed as an ICU nurse at INOVA Fairfax. Basically the pay isn’t high enough for a single person to live comfortably.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:01 AM

6 posts, read 2,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Nursing wages in VA cities/areas. New grad will most likely be less.

If you are currently employed in the trauma center, why not stay there to gain more experience as an RN before contemplating a move ? More experience equates to more demand for your services and more $$$.

Regards
Gemstone1
My intentions are to do a nurse residency program. They prefer new nurses.

Thanks everybody who actually took more than 3 minutes to write a response 😂.. I’m a firm believer in being skeptical when it comes to googling salaries, especially since the variance is so high. We’re looking in Woodbridge now, seems like they have some pretty nice areas now’a’days. I appreciate every bodies responses!

Old 12-31-2018, 05:40 AM

3,224 posts, read 1,611,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I have a friend who just interviewed as an ICU nurse at INOVA Fairfax. Basically the pay isn’t high enough for a single person to live comfortably.
I find that hard to believe. I just did a search of apartments on an apartment website, and there are over 200 listings for apartments in Fairfax county (about 8 in Fairfax city proper) between $1000-1400. If a nurse is making on average $70,000, how could that single person not live comfortably? Of course there are a thousands of variables specific to each individual that come into play, but for the average person who is living within their means, there is no way a nurse shouldn't be able to live comfortably in Northern VA.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:06 PM

945 posts, read 663,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I find that hard to believe. I just did a search of apartments on an apartment website, and there are over 200 listings for apartments in Fairfax county (about 8 in Fairfax city proper) between $1000-1400. If a nurse is making on average $70,000, how could that single person not live comfortably? Of course there are a thousands of variables specific to each individual that come into play, but for the average person who is living within their means, there is no way a nurse shouldn't be able to live comfortably in Northern VA.
Because most nurses have debt from nursing school. My friend for example has $30k+ in student loans costing her $250 a month. She would also like to save for an advanced nursing degree. They offered her the job at $67k and it just isn’t enough to pay debt and save while living alone. Why live in an expensive area here if she can live somewhere else with a lower cost of living and the same salary? Clearly she isn’t the only one turning down the job since they have a $20k sign on bonus for a 3 year commitment and the nurses who work there say that turnover is incredibly high.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:35 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Quote:
and the nurses who work there say that turnover is incredibly high.

Turnover is RARELY about salary; it is usually about direct management.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,819,653 times
Quote:
They offered her the job at $67k and it just isn’t enough to pay debt and save while living alone.
So one can only live comfortably if living alone? All nurses have debt?

There is a shortage of nurses. Most places have sign on bonuses for staying because they know otherwise you will run off when they get their advance nursing degrees or a higher salary offer. Yes you can make more if want to work in a rural area that is less desirable.

How much do you think a new nurse should make? $77K /year for staying three years is not enough? It's a bachelor's level position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or