U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

Hi I got a Reckless driving ticket in PWC in I-95 south. Speed is 86/60 detected by LIDAR.

It was a state trooper. It was 1am at night and I was going back to Richmond with my family after a Thanksgiving dinner party. I was polite to the officer.

Have not had a ticket in the past, except for an expired inspection. I have been driving in VA for 3 years. My points on DMV shows +1.

I am an Assistant Professor of Surgery in VCU since 2015, and waiting to receive my green card. I do not want to have a criminal case on my record.

Do I need to Hire an attorney? what are your suggestions. Please Help, any advise will be appreciated. I also do not want spend too much on attorney fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
Yes, you need to hire an attorney. My son had a reckless (but not in PWC) and the attorney worked very hard to get this reduced. You can probably plan on spending around $1500 but it will be worth it. This is one charge you should not navigate on your own.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:20 PM

1,712 posts, read 573,596 times
Agree. Everything must be done very carefully. It's not a matter of getting around the law but, rather, respecting that is it a very powerful thing. And there are ways to be respectful and show your remorse which your attorney will help you with.

There is an old expression: Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,645,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKDADDY View Post
Hi I got a Reckless driving ticket in PWC in I-95 south. Speed is 86/60 detected by LIDAR.

It was a state trooper. It was 1am at night and I was going back to Richmond with my family after a Thanksgiving dinner party. I was polite to the officer.

Have not had a ticket in the past, except for an expired inspection. I have been driving in VA for 3 years. My points on DMV shows +1.

I am an Assistant Professor of Surgery in VCU since 2015, and waiting to receive my green card. I do not want to have a criminal case on my record.

Do I need to Hire an attorney? what are your suggestions. Please Help, any advise will be appreciated. I also do not want spend too much on attorney fees.
I don’t know how an attorney can help since you already got the ticket and your speed was objectively recorded (almost 30 over the speed limit). There is objective evidence and you already got the ticket, so there is no way an attorney would be able to absolve that. They may be able to lesser the points, but it seems an attorney could be a waste of money?

The bad part about you being an assistant professor is that the ticket will eventually show up online when your name is googled. Happened to my friend in VA. A couple of months after her speeding ticket, it now appears online when you google her name.

*In reading others comments, I would suggest an attorney. Seems like it is worth it in this case. I haven’t had that situation before, so was unsure. Ignore my advice and follow theirs!

Old 01-09-2019, 03:02 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I donít know how an attorney can help since you already got the ticket and your speed was objectively recorded (almost 30 over the speed limit). There is objective evidence and you already got the ticket, so there is no way an attorney would be able to absolve that. They may be able to lesser the points, but it seems an attorney could be a waste of money?

The bad part about you being an assistant professor is that the ticket will eventually show up online when your name is googled. Happened to my friend in VA. A couple of months after her speeding ticket, it now appears online when you google her name.

*In reading others comments, I would suggest an attorney. Seems like it is worth it in this case. I havenít had that situation before, so was unsure. Ignore my advice and follow theirs!
Attorneys who work in this area often know what the driver can do to, at a minimum, get the reckless charge dropped. They are not a guarantee, but if the driver has an otherwise cleanish driving record, the attorneys seem to be able to negotiate some leniency and get the reckless charged dropped. It's definitely worth a shot.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM

675 posts, read 1,017,062 times
With a clean record you have a chance to get your ticket reduced but you will need an attorney like the other
poster said above. I am speaking from experience.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,260,466 times
While the safest thing to do would be to hire an attorney, as long as you have a clean record you can probably take care of it on your own. On your court date, arrive early and talk the the prosecutor. They can look at your record right there in the courtroom and you can set an agreement to reduce the charge in exchange for taking a safe driving class. I've seen it done personally. I've spent some time in a courtroom for speeding offenses in my misspent youth, at one time being warned that 1 more point would have got me a suspended license). I've grown up a lot and I'm at +5 points on my record now.

I have a reckless driving charge on my record and it's really not a big deal. I still was able to get numerous gov't contracting jobs and pass background checks. The key is to always disclose it. You don't want to omit it and then get questioned on it after the fact. I've seen people lose their job for that.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
OP. Do not listen to the one above. Get a lawyer and just listen to them. Getting it reduced is very possible and very likely. Now go hire one and stay off the forum listening to further advice.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,260,466 times
Like I said, it's probably best to hire an attorney but I've personally seen defendants talk to the prosecutor and work it out ahead of time.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM

650 posts, read 369,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
OP. Do not listen to the one above. Get a lawyer and just listen to them. Getting it reduced is very possible and very likely. Now go hire one and stay off the forum listening to further advice.
Ah, grumpy bear is back!

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia