U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,163,993 times

Advertisements

Since they had to sell their souls and minds to work for the Government, perhaps, they should try the oldest profession to sell their bodies. Weight loss boot camp might be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 AM

631 posts, read 520,888 times
Well, at least those government workers will eventually get full back pay.

What about the private contractor employees that will never be paid for lost time. They are the people I really feel bad for. You hardly ever hear anyone talking about them.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 PM

650 posts, read 405,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post

What about the private contractor employees that will never be paid for lost time. They are the people I really feel bad for. You hardly ever hear anyone talking about them.
Govt contractors do not get furloughed, they keep working nd getting paid; been there, done that. The $ is already has been awarded to a specific contract in those cases.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
It's my understanding that while employees historically have gotten paid - it's not a given. Contractors on the other hand don't have that history but it HAS been talked about extensively on the local news channels.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Govt contractors do not get furloughed, they keep working nd getting paid; been there, done that. The $ is already has been awarded to a specific contract in those cases.
Not always true.

If your job is, say, for the State Department working on classified work and you are on site with the feds, you don't get to come to work. If the condition of your contract is that you provide daily, direct support to a client and the client is furloughed, you don't get to come to work. If you are a contractor that mans a government run help desk and the help desk is shut down, you don't have work to do.

There are actually plenty of contractors that get hit on these furloughs and I believe they end up suffering the worst.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM

631 posts, read 520,888 times
Quote:
Wrong, most government contracts are only for billable hours actually worked. If the agency is shut down, contractors are shut down too. They can't just show up at shutdown agencies as usual and keep working while their government counterparts (who will get back pay) are furloughed.
You can't bill the government for hours not worked.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Totally agree. I will say with this shutdown, more and more news articles and news spots are including the contractors in the mix. I never used to hear that before.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM

33,831 posts, read 41,883,302 times
Well, snow is forecast for this weekend so free lance driveway and sidewalk snow removal is an idea.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM

650 posts, read 405,438 times
Quote:
Wrong, most government contracts are only for billable hours actually worked. If the agency is shut down, contractors are shut down too. They can't just show up at shutdown agencies as usual and keep working while their government counterparts (who will get back pay) are furloughed.
You can't bill the government for hours not worked.
I speak from personal DoD experience in the past. Suppose it does depend on the agency, however I still had to show up although my gov't counterparts were not there.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I speak from personal DoD experience in the past. Suppose it does depend on the agency, however I still had to show up although my gov't counterparts were not there.
That situation happens too. I also work for DoD and some of our contractors could have still worked if we were shut down, although not indefinitely. Depends on where your desk is situated (on or off site), how much client interaction is required to bill/invoice, an how much of the project continues when the government office is closed. If you are a defense contractor that builds/designs weapons, that can go on as long as you're funded. If you provide direct professional support services it gets more murky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia