Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,419,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Are there's really a lot of them looking to switch jobs? I so far got the impression that they're pretty glued to their current fed jobs.
As others said, this isn’t for switching, it’s for substitute teaching positions. All schools need substitutes. I also think some current teachers are willing to pick subs who are furloughed and went through this hiring process. I know one friend has outright said she would take a furlough worker as her sub if she knew about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:44 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,419,192 times
Also, several Fairfax unions have teamed up with 29 Diner to offer free meals to furloughed workers. Fairfax County groups, restaurant partner to offer free meals to furloughed government workers - Story | WTTG

Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,441,498 times
https://thefurloughcheesecake.com

Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM

549 posts, read 357,178 times
Besides the side gig work ...

If you already have one of these credit cards, make sure you maximize your cash back rewards, which can be direct deposits into your checking account. Examples:
* Discover offering 5% cash back on supermarket purchases (this does not include Walmart or Target which sell a huge variety of goods) through 3/31/2019 and 1% on everything else, and no $ minimum to redeem cash at least online (have even occasionally requested a $2 direct deposit with no problem).
* Citi Double Cash 2% back (1% when buy, 1% when pay) with a $25 minimum to redeem. I use this card for many other my recurring expenses such as electric, cable, cell phone, etc. There are no category restrictions to get the 2%.
They are other credit cards like these out there. If you have any other rewards credit cards, you may want to call your credit card issuer or on their website, to see how can redeem rewards you have built up. Though some will not redeem for a direct deposit, some can redeem for statement credits.

Make sure you are getting a good rate of return on your bank savings. Large banks pay little, but local and online banks pay better. If do some Googling, some offer interest rates of 1% or 2%. Optionally you can keep your checking with your existing bank, but move your savings. Caveat, if need to move money from savings to checking bank to bank, need to plan a little ahead as even online transfers can take more than one day to a few days.

Contact your cable provider to see if can reduce your cable bill. You may have been planning to do this for some anyway. At the extreme end, both Verizon FIOS and Cox offer local only TV packages which they do not advertise. Otherwise, see what channels not watch and can do without and check into a lower tier package.

Many credit cards offer cash advances. Not highly recommend this, unless desperate, as interest rates are high and charged from day 1 until pay back.

Every little helps. Not a furloughed federal employee, but a former private sector employee whose job relocated out of state some time back and dealing with serious family medical issues since then. Besides above, working flexible side gig work already mentioned in this thread.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,382,709 times
Default Lists of Links to Resources for Furloughed Feds

As the shutdown drags into its second month, a number of local governments, charities and corporations have stepped up to provide assistance. Most, but not all of these, are for furloughed federal workers. Below are a number of helpful links that list multiple resources.

https://myfedbenefitshelp.com/assist...ment-shutdown/
Has a helpful map of resources available by state across the USA.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/2523404002/
Lists many financial institutions with assistance programs.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...with-freebies/
Has some more.
https://diplopundit.net/2019/01/14/f...ring-shutdown/

https://diplopundit.net/2019/01/16/c...s-in-d-c-area/
Lists a number of links to resources in the Washington DC/Virginia/Maryland area.
God Bless.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM

599 posts, read 691,673 times
it's been about a month and fed contractors are not getting back pay. There should be some sort of protection in the future for the contractors

Old 01-22-2019, 02:39 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,197,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
it's been about a month and fed contractors are not getting back pay. There should be some sort of protection in the future for the contractors
How do you know? Some are already getting paid as contracts are often paid up front. I was a contractor and I did get paid in one shutdown. Many contracting companies know that if they mistreat their employees and offer at least partial back pay then many will go looking elsewhere for work with a company that will treat them better.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:28 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,382,709 times
NARFE has also launched a $100 grant program for emergency assistance for NARFE members.

https://fs28.formsite.com/FEEA/narfefurlough/index.html

Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 PM

599 posts, read 691,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How do you know? Some are already getting paid as contracts are often paid up front. I was a contractor and I did get paid in one shutdown. Many contracting companies know that if they mistreat their employees and offer at least partial back pay then many will go looking elsewhere for work with a company that will treat them better.
Because I'm one of them.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,197,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Because I'm one of them.
So your company will not be paying you? Were they awarded the contract and already have the funds? If so you should be getting paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia