U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 AM

621 posts, read 2,748,307 times

Advertisements

How much did you pay for your mattress set in Nova??

I just bought one last night, and now I'm thinking I might have done it a little quick. I didn't go for top of the line, but mid I guess. I got a queen Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop set for $1899+tax and delivery and that was on sale. I've been looking online and seen the same bed cheaper. Is it just our area?? Or does it sound like a ripoff? The bed I really wanted was over $3000 for the set, so I'm hoping the price is good. They have a 60 day price guarantee, so if I can find it cheaper they will "supposedly" match the competitors price and give me a refund. So what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM

2,706 posts, read 6,885,985 times
We bought both of our matresses at Matress Discounters. Every store has discontinued items..so we walked in and asked to see the discontinued items first "Acted and dressed down like we could not afford to purchase higher end stuff". We got a brand new Serta matress (king) that does not have a pillow top but has cushion for $300, queen for $200. Then got the frames from IKEA that dont require a box spring.

I would say $1,899 is way over the limit. Did you feel comfortable or take your time to try the matresses?? Maybe convince your wife to get a lower priced one and buy a flat panel TV for the savings :0)

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 AM

3,254 posts, read 9,993,899 times
I got a Simmons mattress and boxspring last year for about $500 from Macy's. I was able to wait until their Memorial Day sales and signed up for a Macy's credit card to get extra off. They also delivered, the only thing was that they were limited in their delivery days so I had to be flexible.

As for my bed, I got the Noresund queen bed at Ikea for about $180, so roughly $700 total.

Last edited by juniperbleu; 04-08-2008 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM

2,706 posts, read 6,885,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I got a Simmons mattress and boxspring last year for about $500 from Macy's. I was able to wait until their Memorial Day sales and signed up for a Macy's credit card to get extra off. They also delivered, the only thing was that they were limited in their delivery days so I had to be flexible.

yea macy's is the bomb when you use the coupons, store x% off days, and holidays all in combination.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM

2,301 posts, read 875,813 times
We didn't buy in Nova, but we bought in NY and we paid $2K for our pillow top a few years ago.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 29,285 times
If you can call back and cancel the order, do it. Or potentially refuse delivery, depending on exactly how much money you'll get back.

For comparison, my last two mattress-boxsprings were $500 and $750, and I only paid $750 because I didn't want to spend another three hours mattress-shopping and I needed a mattress as soon as possible. Two weeks later I was buying furniture at JCPenney's and I saw they had mattresses for even cheaper. D'oh!

I've read that mattress salesmen are just like car salesmen, and after my last experience I'm convinced that they're actually worse. The guy used shoddy phrasing to mislead me as to the price of what I was buying and then tried to get me to buy it anyway. I basically threatened to walk and then gave him an offer (about 50% off sticker, $750 for mattress/boxspring/frame). He took it on the spot. I also got a free six-post frame out of the deal, which in theory saved me $120 and in practice probably cost them $30.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM

1,259 posts, read 4,789,833 times
It's hard to say whether or not you got a good deal as there are really expensive mattresses and really cheap ones too. It's kind of like apples & oranges. You can't compare a $2000 mattress to a $500 mattress. I'd just stick with what you have if you really love it and just keep an eye out on sales paper to see if you can get them to price match.

I bought a Sealy Posturpedic ultra plush pillow top king size bed 5 years ago for $1350. I didn't do a bit of research either. I just went to the local mattress store and they delivered my new mattress the same day.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 AM

8,265 posts, read 6,677,890 times
You were ripped off!!! The best place to get a quality mattress for REASONABLE price is "Original Mattress Factory". Go to their website and check them out. I ordered a King Set ultra-pillowtop with a frame + delivery for less than $1200.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 AM

3,254 posts, read 9,993,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
yea macy's is the bomb when you use the coupons, store x% off days, and holidays all in combination.

Tell me about it. My 90-year-old grandmother came with me to wait for delivery and liked it so much she bought her own when she got home.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM

621 posts, read 2,748,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I would say $1,899 is way over the limit. Did you feel comfortable or take your time to try the matresses?? Maybe convince your wife to get a lower priced one and buy a flat panel TV for the savings :0)
Well it would be hard to convince my wife, since I am the lady of the household!!! LOL and I'm single, so it was all my decision And yes I did try it and I did really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia