Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 18,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
Are both of you going to the Pentagon? Your relative distances to the jobs may be something to consider, to make sure one of you isn't stuck with a brutal commute, while the other is stone's throw away.
I will not be working yet. I am retired from the Marines so I will be looking into schools next. Thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:15 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdwg11 View Post
I will not be working yet. I am retired from the Marines so I will be looking into schools next. Thanks for the reply
Any specific schools as in colleges? George Mason is in Fairfax (main campus) as are some other schools around DC area.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM

13 posts, read 12,248 times
We just moved to Woodbridge (westridge neighborhood) this past summer and love it. A lot of our neighbors commute to the Pentagon and have no issues.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 AM

22 posts, read 84,673 times
Mcdwg11,

If you're not aware of it, please look into the Slug Lines (Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC) that are available in N.VA.
This may be helpful in opening up your spouse's commuting options as well as help in picking a location further outside the beltway with more space, amenities, and lower cost.
For renting a house, $2,200-$2,300 can easily get you a 3-4 Bed house with a backyard to give your dogs some room to stretch their legs. I'm more familiar with the Stafford area. It's just south of MCB Quantico. Using a site that has home rentals such as realtor.com can help you track down what's available.

There are 3 slug line lots in the Stafford area and the Pentagon is one of the top slug line destinations. Slugging is ideal if you have set hours. If regular long work days or being on-call for emergencies that may keep the spouse late at work past when slugs or drivers are available, then being closer to work and bus/subway commuting might be more appropriate.

Additionally , we have commuter rail (VRE) and there are charter bus services with reserved seating that pick up passengers at the Park and Ride lots. So, there are many ways to skin the cat of commuting from outside the beltway.

Finally, you may want to ask your spouse if there are vanpool options at her office (specifically) and within the Pentagon (generally) and where the locations are on the "home" side. This could provide a reserved seating option with familiar people to and from work each day. One of the downsides of slugging is the crap shoot of who you're riding with.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,104 times
I would agree that the Woodbridge area will probably be your best bet with your budget. You will definitely get much more for your money. I would not rule out other areas, but you're going to find much more to look at in the Woodbridge area.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM

197 posts, read 165,966 times
Quote:
Woodbridge is our major area to look at right now. Thank you
You have two kids... if they are school aged please don't. Hell even pk age.. gotta do some research. Creme was our go too... seems they fell off quality wise and got rid of the director. There are some new daycares that are being built (primerose etc).

Check great schools and school digger and the VA Scores.... and honestly drive around and talk to homehowners... if you are dead set on woodbridge... i would suggest lakeridge and or up 234 (more driving I know) near the Captain Nemo Swim school (colgan)

I did the commute from woodbridge to the Pentagon for 8 years... it was pretty awesome... but the hot lanes have considerably changed things. Now that they are going all the way up to DC... it will be intresting. If you aren't comfy taking buses / trains and doing ride shares... woodbridge isn't for you.

If schools are important.... woodbridge isn't for you... people often move there for new homes (its not that much cheaper now than other counties btw) and overlook the schools. And either turn a blind eye to the kids, get them in AP classes so they shipped around the county or get out and move to stafford or west (aldie/ashburn/centerville etc)

I would suggest looking for your budget in fairfax/burke and before Springfield. Don't sleep on stafford as well as the commute isn't much different and the schools are a bit better.

Source: Lived in woodbridge for 8.. moved to loudoun/ashburn... waiting on the metro to be built.

I have to plug Ashburn.... they are getting a metro ... it would be a long ride but if your deadset on not driving its an option.

Our focus in woodbridge as short commute and affordability.... until our kids were school aged. If this is a temporary stop for you rent in a location that hits all the marks (schools included). If its long term... research research research research.....

Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
sorry... just read this. Woodbridge isn't it champ... we left some friends behind there in port potomac. They thought we were crazy until their kids started middle school. Now they are looking at private schools (st. thomas aquinas) as the middle school has gangs and all kinds of fighting going on. If you like woodbridge... for the commute i would plug stafford... specifically embry mills. Had neighbors move from Port potomac to that neighborhood and they love it and the surrounding schools.

Same HOV/HOT lanes commute up 95...

Check your resources
Greatschools..
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/VA/c...rd/search.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/VA/c...ge/search.aspx
https://nces.ed.gov/datatools/index....oolSectionID=5
Home Page - Virginia School Quality Profiles - Virginia School Quality Profiles

Good luck...

Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Isn't there a really good Catholic school somewhere on the southern end of Woodbridge? We have friends from Arlington who just moved to Potomac Shores and their plan is to enroll their kids (4 and 2 at the moment) in that school.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Isn't there a really good Catholic school somewhere on the southern end of Woodbridge? We have friends from Arlington who just moved to Potomac Shores and their plan is to enroll their kids (4 and 2 at the moment) in that school.
sooooooo yes... and Potomac Shores (the port potomac replacement) is changing and adding cheaper homes... not really good for the early buyers.

The map is/was .
Creme De la Creme / Aquinas (catholic) -> john paul the great (around the corner from P shores also catcholic)
Win Mary Porter lottery --> john paul the great

Or get your kids in AP and pray...

We almost pulled the trigger on pshores. Main issue is we had already dealt with Ryan homes/NVR in pshores.... while we didn't have major issues with our house we/i as literally "that guy" popping up all the time to point out their issues. I couldn't pull the trigger for the $$ they were asking for.. for the quality being pushed. And on top of that having to pay for private school?

You could take the private school and existing mortgage payment and find something nice in a nice school district (which is what we did).

I have family that teaches in the county.. she flat out told us the real on covington...

leaves much to be desired as well...
Covington-Harper Elementary School - Prince William County Public Schools | Virginia School Quality Profiles
https://potomaclocal.com/2018/02/26/...y-bomb-threat/

had higher hopes for the school score wise as it was a new school. Pshores is a great location for retireees however. If you have no kids... its ideal....

i take that back...

I no longer have access to that area on Next Door... but the problems (theft etc) we had in Port potomac moved down to Potomac Shores... even though they are tucked away. Note the one dot... it doesn't do it justice.. Nextdoor and the ring app neighbors were constantly jumping.

People down there keep leaving cars unlocked in the drive way etc... and during the spring/summer when the kids were out there was a lot drag racing down that long road... (they didnt see that coming... but in all honesty it is a good road for it)

10/11/2018 Burglary The Homeowner Reported To Police That Entry Was Made Into An Attached Garage Through An Open Door. The Garage Was Rummaged Through. No Property Was Reported Missing.

I could go on about this area for hours.... Them leaving Arlington is going to be a tough adjustment if they ate out a lot and are used to walkable activities. The Farm at Pshores is cool though... not as robust as embry mills or willowsford but its a start.

Last edited by Yac; 11-23-2020 at 05:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,260 times
Check out Manassas VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia