Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:12 AM

5 posts, read 5,869 times

Advertisements

We had some really cold weather last week in Fairfax VA. What hit me is how many many people I saw standing at the bus stop or walking up and down the street at 8 AM when it was 10 degrees who did not wear a winter coat. Some were just wearing a sweatshirt and others just wore a spring jacket that is more suited for a 50-degree day. Few if anyone was wearing a hat or gloves.

When it is really cold, like last week, do you wear a very warm coat? Do you even own one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 05:31 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
LOL, and there will always be one guy in shorts.

To answer your question, yes I personally wear my warm jacket when it plunges below freezing. But I used to have neighbors from Russia who'd laugh when they saw me wearing it. We had different ideas on what was consider cold, LOL.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:07 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Yes.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
LOL, and there will always be one guy in shorts.

To answer your question, yes I personally wear my warm jacket when it plunges below freezing. But I used to have neighbors from Russia who'd laugh when they saw me wearing it. We had different ideas on what was consider cold, LOL.
I was at the gym in Tysons and saw a guy in shorts. Mind you, it was in the single digits outside.

Yes, OP, I do. However, I loathe large coats so I typically wear a jacket.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:12 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I do own a Land's End down parka that I only bring out on the worst of cold days. Other than that, I probably don't dress warmly enough because if I am in and out of places, the heavy coat just kills me. But I don't spend a lot of time outdoors. If I had to use public trans, walk to Metro, stand at a busstop, I'd be wearing my Land's End below 40 degrees.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:11 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
I own several coats, wool hats, gloves etc. and I wear them when temperatures go into the 30s. I think the OP is somewhat overstating it. The majority of people do wear seasonally appropriate clothes, but there are always a few outliers for sure. I have seen some guys pulling the tee shirt under a spring/fall jacket stunt on the worst cold days so far this winter (i.e. Monday 1/21 and Thursday 1/31).

I will say that it is quite unwholesome to spend a good amount of time in cold outdoor temperatures, then get into the metro and spend half an hour or more in comparatively warm temperatures before heading out again into the cold. And it's not like you want to be on the metro holding your exterior layers the whole time.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
I don't own a super warm coat anymore. I prefer instead to layer up. It really doesn't get that cold in the region, so why buy a $1000 canada goose jacket? A normal sweater, then fleece with a windbreaker type top does the job most of the time for me.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I have a winter jacket in the back seat in case of a breakdown, or a need to be out in the cold for more than a few minutes. The jacket I use is too light for the cold but underneath I have several layers of clothes so it's not too bad. That only good for a few minutes outside though.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM

406 posts, read 625,176 times
I'm from New Orleans and I break out a winter jacket when the temperature reaches 45° to keep myself warm regardless of the temperature. My colleagues at the office always make fun of me because I have on winter boots, gloves, scarf, and wool hat most days of the year.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:01 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
This was my first year to buy a proper calf length winter coat. I had been making do with an old snowboarding jacket for years. I’m glad that I upgraded.

That being said, I don’t own a hat and hardly ever wear gloves. When I’m doing hikes, I’m wore likely to layer properly than have a bulky coat on though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia