Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 8,976 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're in the "decision" process whether we're moving to NOVA. If we do we will work in the Mc Lean/Vienna area. We have been there to visit so know a bit but obviously not that much. Is it possible to commute from Aldie for work (9-6)? If not where else should we look at? Our budget is around 800K to buy, but we'll rent first to explore beforehand. Prefer new/newer homes. Good public elementary schools is a must.

Thanks

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 02:47 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,178,283 times
With no traffic it's an easy drive. Maybe 35 minutes. But in your hours you can easily double that time. Have you looked in the Reston area?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:57 AM

12 posts, read 8,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
With no traffic it's an easy drive. Maybe 35 minutes. But in your hours you can easily double that time. Have you looked in the Reston area?
I have but it seems a much higher price point. Also do you know why most areas the schools are rated low, eg, 5 or even below 5 while NOVA is supposed to have better schools for the most part?

Example Reston property/school ratings:
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/130...158907#schools

Thanks

Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,587,621 times
I have a co-worker that commutes from Aldie to Tysons- If commuting during conventional work hours you are looking around 90 minutes in the morning. Evenings are about that or even longer. It won't be cheap either if you plan to use the fastest way which will be Route 50 to Loudoun County Parkway and then utilizing the Dulles Greenway/ Dulles Toll Road. Greenway is $5.65 at rush hour and then you have to pay tolls on the Toll Road as well. You could avoid the Greenway Toll by taking some back roads to connect onto 28 but I am not well versed enough on those particular Loudoun roads. Your budget is $800k and you work in Tysons- you will get more house for your money in Aldie but that commute will take a toll on your sanity. Unless you really like sitting in traffic.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 AM

6,520 posts, read 8,316,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post
Hi all,

We're in the "decision" process whether we're moving to NOVA. If we do we will work in the Mc Lean/Vienna area. We have been there to visit so know a bit but obviously not that much. Is it possible to commute from Aldie for work (9-6)? If not where else should we look at? Our budget is around 800K to buy, but we'll rent first to explore beforehand. Prefer new/newer homes. Good public elementary schools is a must.

Thanks

Kevin
Aldie > McLean is going to give you about a 90 minute commute.

Personally, that would be intolerable for me (and I have a 60-70 minute commute) so I would definitely suggest searching in closer communities. Although, you may need to compromise on your desire for a new/newer home unless you're open to townhomes. You have a healthy budget so my recommendation would be to check out Vienna, Falls Church, Annandale, North Springfield.

Also, since you mention renting first, the RE market may be different when you do decide to buy. The inventory will certainly be different.

FWIW, I don't put much stock in greatschools ratings. TC Williams in Alexandria is rated a 2 but I know many students who have graduated TC, and gone on to very good colleges. IMO, students who have engaged parent(s) and receive support/encouragement at home will succeed in most any school.

Don't just look at the scores, read the reviews left by parents and students.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,554,909 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Kevin

Possible but not recommended. Look at places within ~ 5 mile radius of your office. Most of those schools are also very good.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM

195 posts, read 163,923 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Kevin
Vienna > ashburn (because good schools and bussing/walking to work)
ashburn > aldie (because goods schools and toll road or metro to work)

Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,943,411 times
Oakton....

Old 02-12-2019, 10:17 AM

195 posts, read 163,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Oakton....
+1 if you can find a good spot...

Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,631,982 times
I think a good area with your budget and commute is Ashburn. They are becoming one of the top rated school systems in the area and they have a lot of newer construction with your price point in mind, specifically Brambleton.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/0_fr/1_...eRedirect=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia