Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I am sorry but some qualifiers need to here.

I lived close to there and in the middle of day NOT rush hour a drive it took 30 minutes to get to Tysons on RT 7. (If you get caught by lights it's closaer to 40-45minutes)

By taking the Toll way $$$ then you can get to Tysons easy in 20-30 minutes not during rush hour. but it can take at least 15-20 minutes sometimes to get just from Lewinsville rd/rt 7 to 123 (Dolly maddison)/Lewisnville rd.

NOW if you take 267 from Ashburn all the into 123 then 45 minutes would probably be a good avg commute tim to the Loudoun county pkwy exit in Ashburn. (barring no accident on either rt7 or 267)
Plus about $10/perday in tolls

But then if you live over in Belmont it's going take at least 15m inutes just to get to 267.
Ashburn is pretty spread out and traffic on the main road can get pretty congested at commute times.

so no I can not see a 30 minute commute from Ashburn to Tysons (home to office commute) travel time on just 267 maybe...but you've got to get there and get off. Now if he has off commute hours then that needs to be clairifed for the Original poster.
He leaves around 8am...not sure what time he gets to the office. But coming home he leaves around 4:30 and is home by 5:05, 5:10pm at the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
does he take 267?
start and stop point?...like i said Ashburn is spread out and depending on where in the Tysons area the job is matters too.

Because leaving 8am should still be somewhat dicey closer in at tysons. But the worst traffic is around 7:30 am. Leaving at 4:30 esp. taking the toll would put you in the 40minute range.
I still wouldn't tell any one to count on a 30-40 minute rush hour commute to Tysons from Ashburn. (as most people can't leave before 5pm)

Unfortunately my husband was not as lucky as yours and usually had to work 10-12 hours per day.

I am not trying to argue or anything, I just think people here should very frank with newcommers and NOT underestimate the traffic commute etc... It's better to err on the side of caution than to rose color things. The tysons area is hugely congested.

just for folks info...According to mapsco...ashburn(glouschester and claiborne) to Tysons corner(shopping center) is 23.6mi time..28min (without anytraffic on 267)

And the toll (267) is expensive if you have to pay that out of pocket. close to $10 RT per day.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
does he take 267?
start and stop point?...like i said Ashburn is spread out and depending on where in the Tysons area the job is matters too.

Because leaving 8am should still be somewhat dicey closer in at tysons. But the worst traffic is around 7:30 am. Leaving at 4:30 esp. taking the toll would put you in the 40minute range.
I still wouldn't tell any one to count on a 30-40 minute rush hour commute to Tysons from Ashburn. (as most people can't leave before 5pm)

Unfortunately my husband was not as lucky as yours and usually had to work 10-12 hours per day.

I am not trying to argue or anything, I just think people here should very frank with newcommers and NOT underestimate the traffic commute etc... It's better to err on the side of caution than to rose color things. The tysons area is hugely congested.

just for folks info...According to mapsco...ashburn(glouschester and claiborne) to Tysons corner(shopping center) is 23.6mi time..28min (without anytraffic on 267)

And the toll (267) is expensive if you have to pay that out of pocket. close to $10 RT per day.
sorry, wanted to write more but one of my kids went spastic on me, lol!
Not sure what roads he takes. He is actually from Vienna, so I know he takes some back roads some days. I THINK he mostly takes the toll road, but he get off early...Like coming home he takes 7 and then gets on the toll and then he gets off at 28 and then comes to the farm that way. Now, I am not saying I know how fast my husband drives as he has been known to go a little fast, lol! But he really is home no later than 40 minutes from when he leaves...a lot of the time he is home by 30 minutes...but if he leaves five minutes later than 4:30, forget it...he can be 45 minutes getting home.
Oh, and I know you are not picking a fight, lol!
Oh, and we don't pay that much for the toll...he doesn't take the greenway unless there is an emergency with the kids. (which there is going to be today if they keep acting up, lol!)

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times
He must be an amazing driver! For the record, I drive a Porsche Boxster S and I take our son to swim class at the Potomac Swim School on Monday nights. The class starts at 6p and we live in Lowes Island. According to Google maps (I just did it), we're exactly 9.8 miles door-to-door. We leave at 5:15p and normally get there RIGHT ON TIME. In other words, it takes me 40 minutes to get from LI to the very Eastern edge of Ashburn (in fact, one could argue that PSS isn't quite in Ashburn, but let's just say that it is for argument's sake). The Ashburn traffic is absolutely horrific. Anyone commuting to Tysons would do well to look at Cascades/LI first I think, just because of the traffic back-up .

Old 04-12-2008, 05:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
BTW, you don't have to take the toll road to Tysons. I actually liked Rt. 7--IMO enough cars take the toll road that Rt. 7 is ok (from LI, anyway).

Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,243 times
Do people commute into downtown D.C. from the LI area? If so, how is it generally done, i.e., to people typically drive to a Metro Station, or drive into D.C.?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
you can take a bus right into DC.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:47 AM

76 posts, read 307,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
He must be an amazing driver! For the record, I drive a Porsche Boxster S and I take our son to swim class at the Potomac Swim School on Monday nights. The class starts at 6p and we live in Lowes Island. According to Google maps (I just did it), we're exactly 9.8 miles door-to-door. We leave at 5:15p and normally get there RIGHT ON TIME. In other words, it takes me 40 minutes to get from LI to the very Eastern edge of Ashburn (in fact, one could argue that PSS isn't quite in Ashburn, but let's just say that it is for argument's sake). The Ashburn traffic is absolutely horrific. Anyone commuting to Tysons would do well to look at Cascades/LI first I think, just because of the traffic back-up .
Thanks for the accurate account. I think I have read a few too many posts here about "thirty minute" commute times from the I-66 and Rt. 7 corridors. We all know that thirty minutes can be two traffic lights on a bad day.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEIK View Post
you can take a bus right into DC.
Yes, there are a few busses. One I like picks up people at the Catholic Church (intersection of Cascades & Algonkian Parkway), as well as from the Great Falls Shopping Center (intersection of LI Blvd. and Algonkian Parkway). It then becomes an express to West Falls Church Metro Station. Not sure if this is the bus that goes all the way to DC, but it's worth checking out.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 AM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I used to have a colleague who lived in the 20165 zip code who would go into a deep rage if anyone dared to suggest that he lived in Sterling. He'd scream "IT'S POTOMAC FALLS!". Sad thing is it's just a zip code, property taxes still go to Loudoun, HOA fees to Cascades, Countryside, or whatever development you're in. So the town name means very little, but the identity crisis behind it is pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia