Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,997 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a recent college graduate from Manhattan, Kansas (Home of the K-State Wildcats --Whoo hoo!) I will be working for a company in the DC area, and my first assignment will be in Manassas. I read up a lot of the forums so far, but wanted to get my own advice to my situation.

I am a young, single female who won't know anyone when I first move out East. My first housing desire would be to live in a very safe area since I will be living by myself. And secondly, it would be nice to live near where some other young professionals live. I'm not opposed to living in a family dominated area, but I just think it would be nice living close to where younger professionals live so I can meet people pretty quickly. Thirdly, I wouldn't want an astronomical commute [everyone's dream ]. From reading other posts depending where I live, it seems like I could have a reverse commute?

I guess my question is, would be be better to find a nice area in Manassas or would I be better off living in a town outside Manassas? And what exact locations/neighborhoods should I look for places to rent, as well as what are places to avoid? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Wow - you will have huge culture shock - you wont be in Kansas anymore - he he - I would try for Fairfax or a nice area of Springfield as opposed to Manassas. Maybe Chantilly or something.
Just make sure you are extremely careful around here - dont trust anyone or go out at night alone.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM

352 posts, read 1,592,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Wow - you will have huge culture shock - you wont be in Kansas anymore - he he - I would try for Fairfax or a nice area of Springfield as opposed to Manassas. Maybe Chantilly or something.
Just make sure you are extremely careful around here - dont trust anyone or go out at night alone.
Pish posh. Just stay out of the Coverstone, Georgetown South and Irongate neighborhoods of Manassas and our friend will be fine. Emmysue, you'd do well to consider the rental developments - there are four or five of them - off Sudley Road and Sudley Manor Drive up towards I-66, in Manassas zip code 20109. One complex just got built and looks really nice - I think it's called Rosemary Ridge? Ravens Crest is another nice one in the same area, and there's another complex off Blendia Lane and Ashton Avenue whose name escapes me - behind the Costco. There's no reason to spend *more* living in Fairfax County when you're *extending* your commute.

Welcome, in advance, to Prince William County!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
We lived in the Midwest for several years and now rent in West Springfield. The DC area operates in a very different way from the Midwest or West Coast. You will be fine, but do be very cautious here. It takes a while to adapt.

On a website called militarybyowner, there's a lovely end-unit townhouse in Manassas for $1550/month, and it is 1 mile from a VRE station. If you go to the site, click on the box in the upper left corner that says "Buy/Rent." Then click on "Virginia," then click on "Fort Belvoir." Scroll down a few listings...the townhouse is on Wheats Way, and it looks very serene and beautiful inside! I don't know which areas are safe, but you are sure to get more for your money a little farther out.

*That townhouse is not owned by anyone I know. I just think it's really pretty!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia