U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 AM

19 posts, read 59,586 times

Advertisements

I've been doing my usual internet roaming through real estate sites, and I'm wondering what you homeowners think about purchasing homes near the interstate. I'm looking specifically at nice homes in Arlington that seem to be practically in the shadow of I-66, but I'm also thinking in general about the disadvantages of interstate noise and pollution.

Any thoughts about this, or experiences to share? Is it something you've gotten used to? Wind up regretting? Avoid at all costs or just one factor to weigh? And how far away do you need to be before it's not an issue?

As always, thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM

45 posts, read 149,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithoutQualities View Post
I've been doing my usual internet roaming through real estate sites, and I'm wondering what you homeowners think about purchasing homes near the interstate. I'm looking specifically at nice homes in Arlington that seem to be practically in the shadow of I-66, but I'm also thinking in general about the disadvantages of interstate noise and pollution.

Any thoughts about this, or experiences to share? Is it something you've gotten used to? Wind up regretting? Avoid at all costs or just one factor to weigh? And how far away do you need to be before it's not an issue?

As always, thanks in advance for the help!
The first home I rented in the area was right off 66 in Vienna. I never noticed the noise.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
I live right next to 395 in Alexandria and i've pretty much gotten used to it. It never wakes me up at night.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 AM

3,155 posts, read 8,094,760 times
I-66 in Arlington is pretty well cut off from the neighborhoods. Seems like you have sound barriers in most places, so you don't notice the road much.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM

1,950 posts, read 5,302,639 times
I haven't lived near 66, but we did live fairly close to 81. Lots of dust in the house and I did not mind the noise, but my husband did. Here's another funny thing. My son has an electronic train we put around the tree at Christmas. When we lived near the highway, the train would just start going on it's own for no reason...problably something to do with the signals from truck CB's. It never happened again after we moved.

DH couldn't wait to get away from the highway.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times
Some of those builders are offering thicker windows with houses adjacent to the highway. The noise on the highway is louder in the winter when tires are cold and trees/brush do not asorb the noise. It's also louder after a rain.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM

29 posts, read 121,947 times
I live a stones throw from I-95 in Lake Ridge/Woodbridge. There are sound barriers. During the day you'll almost never notice the noise, at night sometimes you hear trucks' air brakes, but not often enough to cause a problem, in my opinion, or keep me from falling asleep.

To be honest, it's far worse to be in the helicopter path to Quantico ... that's the kind of noise that can rock the house. Also I suspect some of the helicopters I hear are traffic copters observing accidents or rush hour, so that's a negative about living near the interstate in this area that you might not have considered.

Also, parts of Manassas, Centreville and Chantilly are on the approach to Dulles, and parts of Arlington and Alexandria are on the approach to National. Might not be something that bothers you, I'd advise sitting out at the site you're hoping to buy -- maybe long enough to eat a lunch in your car or something -- and seeing how it feels.

Also, if you're really close to the marine corps base in PWC you can sometimes hear the booms -- I assume it's training on their grounds, and maybe the same could be true near Fort Belvoir. Someone more military-minded could speak to that.

Just some additional things to think about.

The flipside is since this is a transient, rapidly-growing area where home values and "hot" areas to live change over the course of several years, living near the interstate could be a big plus if you're moving here for a couple years but not planning to stay through retirement.

For instance, they are converting the carpool lanes on 95 into toll lanes for commuters, which regardless of how you feel about that, could turn out to keep the value of a home near the interstate high in comparison to something further out. At least in the eyes of someone else who is moving here strictly to commute back and forth. The further they build out into Loudoun, PWC and Stafford, the more valuable that close-to-interstate property could become. In theory.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,917,991 times
Just being near all those exhaust fumes ups your chance of cancer - even with the windows shut . I would NEVER live near a highway - and I am really suprised that some people do not mind -

Old 04-10-2008, 12:27 PM

169 posts, read 443,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Just being near all those exhaust fumes ups your chance of cancer - even with the windows shut . I would NEVER live near a highway - and I am really suprised that some people do not mind -

What about people who smoke, sitting in traffic for hours etc? Living in a metro area like ours, we should accept that fact that the pollution levels are always higher than countryside. In our case the time the pollution levels are high during the day we are usually on road.

I am only concerned about the noise pollution....I live off 66 in Fairfax and I'm happy to know the windows are of our house are really good. When shut no noise. Only an occasional emergency vehicle. What annoys me is the helicopter that goes over our head a lot of times maybe for traffic check.

My $0.05....falling dollar :-(

Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM

62 posts, read 211,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metclubin View Post
...we should accept that fact that the pollution levels are always higher than countryside...
Some studies have shown that proximity to a highway is a BIG factor in a child's development as well as adult health. One of the studies below mentions 1/3 mile as a marker of sorts. So yes, pollution is everywhere, but why intentionally make it worse by living next to a freeway?

Living Near A Highway Affects Lung Development In Children, Study Shows

Living near high-traffic roads may be hazardous to your health (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3048979 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia