U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,165,771 times

Advertisements

Many of the top kids go to Jefferson Magnet HS, so that has watered down the number of eggheads at the top schools. Plenty of slackers at both those schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,165,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Hal Roach,
That brings us back to original confusion. We are in communication with McLean HS and Langley HS, but the thought of moving in the senior yr to a school with large number of high ranking kids makes us worried about the peer competition in getting into a good college for similar course. That makes us rethink if living in DC NW may be better for one year albeit at the cost of poorer quality of living compared to NOVA.
one year..might be worth it to send her to prep school..a friend loved st. johns..another went to Bullis...maybe they have sister schools.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Hal Roach,
That brings us back to original confusion. We are in communication with McLean HS and Langley HS, but the thought of moving in the senior yr to a school with large number of high ranking kids makes us worried about the peer competition in getting into a good college for similar course. That makes us rethink if living in DC NW may be better for one year albeit at the cost of poorer quality of living compared to NOVA.
Not really sure what you do with this. Both Langley and McLean have a lot of kids vying for slots at competitive schools, but so does Wilson HS in DC and area privates (some of which may go to bat more for students who've been enrolled there longer).

If you're considering Langley and McLean for a rising senior, you should know Langley was recently renovated and has more space per student than McLean right now. McLean is seriously overcrowded and the School Board is more consumed with playing politics than making a common-sense boundary change that would move some kids from McLean to Langley. It will get sorted out in two or three years, but not by the 2019-20 school year.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:08 PM

1,430 posts, read 3,481,248 times
There is going to be competition at all the top school districts regardless as to whether you are in Virginia, Maryland or DC, and in public or private schools. Not sure how you are really going to get around it one way or another. I know DC public school students used to get in-state tuition rates at any school in the country as they have no state university of their own other than University of the District of Columbia- I think now they are just eligible to receive a certain dollar amount per year.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:25 PM

374 posts, read 289,826 times
That's pretty useful info. Thanks JD984 and NOVAmtneer82

Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 AM

16,664 posts, read 23,061,036 times
Quote:
Kidyankee..
Its nice to hear from someone who moved from CT. We live in New haven county. Having lived in CT for past 8 years, its difficult to think about moving. Perhaps you may be correct as you have experienced first hand, however its always difficult to make a change when you are used to a particular state living.
As far as COL, I am not sure because the home prices in NOVA are far too much and even the rentals are very high. That may balance out the other lower COL. Moving further out is not an option for us since my wife will be a single parent during the week and will have a busy work schedule too.
I know all too well what youíre feeling. I lived in CT for 31 of my 34 years with brief stints in CA and NC. Itís going to be different, but thankfully, Nova suburbs are very similar to the CT suburbs.

I see from your posting history youíre in Cheshire. Iím very familiar with Cheshire (I lived in Branford and Ridgefield). Youíll notice home prices in greater DC to be higher than in Cheshire, mostly because Cheshire is further out. Expect housing costs here to be more similar to Fairfield County then greater New Haven. That said, an 800k home in Cheshire will have property taxes of about 15k, whereas in the DC area, it would be half that. Thatís a savings of $600 a month, so it really evens out. Youíll see your electric bill here be far less (CTís kw/h is 22, whereas in VA, itís 9). Expect to continue to pay car taxes to your municipality just as you do in CT.

I know you have to live in Arlington, but when youíre ready to branch out down the road, just know that once you get out of the immediate Arlington area, cost of living drops dramatically. I was able to get a nice home for the price of a condo in Arlington.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:55 AM

16 posts, read 27,654 times
I have to say that the whole school rankings thing is quite relative. FCPS has some of the best schools and even the ones ranked lower are likely better than many schools in the country. You also need to consider the makeup of the school and the travel time to the school. For example, although Langley HS is ranked well and is an excellent school, the time traveling to get there depending on where you live could be exorbitant. McLean HS has 14 trailers out back. Oakton HS is undergoing a huge renovation at the current time. Madison HS would also be one to look into. Each school I believe is an AP school and all have their own issues. You have to decide on the atmosphere of "have and have nots" for each of the schools mentioned as well as the school enrollment size. Some have a greater discrepancy than others. Woodson HS is also consistently ranked well and is an AP school. I think you need to consider commuting and house prices and go from there. The further out from DC you go, the bigger and newer the house generally speaking but you have to consider always your commute cost and time. Living off 267 toll road may mean less of a commute time but greater $$ for example. Burke is closer to VRE which may be good for you going to DOVER, DE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or