Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for the drinking parties but they sure beat the alternative. Kids get drunk someplace else (where there is NO adult supervision like parks, home while parents are away), drive drunk, get pregnant and all that fun stuff. At least there will be an adult in the house in case there are problems. IMO what these parents are doing is responsible (well, not buying the booze part) since they KNOW their kids will get drunk no matter what and want to provide a safe place to do it.
Underage drinking was the topic of a recent discussion at West Potomac High School. According to Captain Mike Kline, commander of the Mount Vernon Station of the Fairfax County Police, an adult who hosts and provides alcohol at parties for teens can be charged criminally. They can also be held civilly liable if any death or injury occurs as a result of the party.

The meeting also mentioned the fact that there have been many students bringing prescription drugs to share/use at these parties.

Parents who use the "they'll get drunk no matter what" line are giving up and giving in to peer pressure themselves. This is not responsible parenting. It teaches the teens that some laws don't need to be obeyed. It's more important to be popular and go with the herd!

Last edited by Fern435; 04-12-2008 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
My retirement gig is driving a FCPS school bus (5 years now)...and you wouldn't believe the stuff I've seen. Kids falling down drunk (or high) at 2:10 pm.

I graduated from Annandale HS in 1970, and you couldn't get a drink at school back in those days! LOL

It's unbelievable really, oral sex parties in the back of the bus, you name it. And the parents are totally clueless and in denial. They tell me I didn't see what I thought I saw. Fortunately, FCPS is finally equipping our buses with state-of-the-art camera systems....a lot of parents are going to be in for some interesting "viewing"!

Incidentally, the cameras are already paying for themselves.....parents of prodigies that like to slice up or write obscenities on bus seats are being presented with the bill.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
For families moving into Fairfax County, trying to determine what home they can secure in a school area that works for them is extremely challenging, even when money is no issue. These figures might encourage a few people who are moving into this area to consider schools that might have been avoided based on old information/reputations.

With many new people cycling in, neighborhoods and schools do change. Attracting new families to a school can help the entire school environment, which also improves the district and community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia