U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 23,313 times

Advertisements

Hi

I just got accepted to do an intenship with the FBI at their hq in Quantico VA. However housing is not provided. Does anyone hear know of apartments or any other affordable housing near the base? I have near been to the east coast before, so I am at a complete loss of where everything is at.

Second question, if I decide not to drive the 2500 miles to VA and fly, what is the closest airport to Quantico and what would be the best way from getting from the airport to Quantico (Taxi, train, etc)?

Thank you,

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 08:48 PM

566 posts, read 2,756,061 times
There are plenty of apartments by the base, so just Google it and I'm sure you'll find something that suites your needs. I know there are some places down there that give discounts to Marines, but i'm not sure about the FBI...it's worth checking into though.

Reagan National is probably your best bet for transportation to Quantico. Check out www.wmata.com and vre.org for the times & schedules. You could also fly into Dulles, but I would guess that a taxi from there to Quantico would be pretty pricey.

Good luck with the move.

dave

Old 12-18-2006, 08:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
First thing's first. For a general overview of the area in question, check out this old thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...fo-about.html?

For housing options, generally while your standard one bedroom, one bathroom apartment goes for $1000/month at the least in much of the DC area, Prince William and Stafford counties are a bit cheaper and you can find quite a few apartments in the $850/month range. I'm not knowledgable enough on that area in particular to direct you towards specific apartment complexes but a quick search on Craig's List plugging in the word Quantico into the search came up with many places, among them, quite a few apartments available from around $750-950 in an apartment complex called Stoney Ridge in Dale City. And as you'll see if you search around a bit, sharing a place or renting out a room in someone's home can shave off a couple hundred dollars off of the monthly rent.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/

As far as how to get to Quantico, let me just say that I HIGHLY recommend bringing your car if you move here. I'm not sure if in not driving out here that means you're willing to forego having a car altogether or if you'd find some other way to get it here, but whatever the case, I highly recommend bringing a car. While there are buses, this portion of the DC area is very sprawly and not pedestrian or public transit-friendly and bus stops are often far and few between. With that said, if you do choose to fly in, National Airport would be the closest airport. From National Airport, you could of course take a taxi all the way to Quantico but that's quite the hike (maybe 25 miles or so) so it could wind up being pretty expensive. What I'd recommend instead is to take the train closer to Quantico and then a cab to the FBI or the hotel or the apartment or wherever it is that you need to be. From National Airport, you can take Metro (the DC subway), on the Blue or Yellow Line to King Street station in Alexandria....

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm (broken link)

From there, you can board a Virginia Railway Express (VRE) train on the Fredericksburg Line which will actually take you all the way to Quantico. There are also stops in Franconia/Springfield, Rippon, Woodbridge, Brooke, Leeland Road and Fredericksburg, one of which may be closer to your end destination than the actual stop in Quantico. They have a website but it's not working at the moment. Now, from whatever station you depart, you can take a cab to your end destination. There are buses serving the Metro stations but you may be all "public transit-ed" out by this point and just want a door-to-door taxi. While there are generally a handful of cabs waiting outside Metro stations, it may be wise to call ahead of time for a cab to have one waiting for you. Like I said, you could always take a cab all the way from National to Quantico to avoid the train hassle but it'll cost a bit and this way will save you some money even if it is a bit more inconvenient.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 22,630 times
Default Housing/apts near FBI Academy Quantico VA

B

I have also been accepted to an internship withe the FBI in Quantico. Do you start in Jan? Let me know what you find and I'll do the same thanks

LM

Old 07-17-2007, 08:12 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,564,287 times
Most folks are giving you the northern view of things, but I am going to throw in a bit of a southern perspective. You could even consider flying into Richmond. Depending on what time you arrive, you could possibly get to Quantico quicker coming northbound. Also, you might want to look into Fredericksburg for housing. Even during rush hour most people can make it to Quantico in the morning in about 30 minutes. If you want more information there are lots of people here that will pipe in! Let us know how it goes...

Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 28,802 times
Couple things... My wife and I just moved out here from the Midwest and there is an option that hasn't been mentioned yet, mostly because very few people know about it. The town of Quantico is actually a little town situated inside the Eastern portion of Quantico MCB. It is surrounded on 3 sides by the base and against the Potomac on the east side. Less than half the population is military and it slowly is changing to young professionals, particularly newer families since the housing in the area is so outrageous.The entire town is within walking distance of the VRE/AMTRAK station, (VRE is the commuter line into DC) as well as a riverside park and a small, quaint "downtown."We decided to buy a house and found the price to be 30% less than a similar property in the town of Triangle merely 3 miles down the road (which incidently is outside the base gate and obviously further from the train station). There are a lot of rental properties available in the town of Quantico, ranging from 1 bedrooms to 3 bedroom houses.We commute into Alexandria and Arlington using the VRE and only use our vehicles on the weekends, which coming from the midwest is obscure to us. Since you will be at the FBI Academy, you will need your vehicle, but getting to work and home will be a song and a dance for you since most people come onto the Base in the morning and leave in the evening (reverse commute).Hope this helps...Just trying to help revitalize small towns one family at a time!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 21,154 times
Default Off-Base housing near the FBI Academy and Quantico Marine Base

B,
Generally, the cost of living in Northern Virginia is pretty high. Although the area around Quantico still does have affordable housing available. The side of the base that the FBI is on has an exit to Garrisonville Road in Stafford, Virginia. There are a lot of townhouses for rent just outside the gate. A good place to to start your search is Quantico MCB Off-Base Military Housing - Military Real Estate Services.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 19,745 times
Default Housing available if interested ???

I am the recent purchaser of a home in a private waterfront community of larger homes on mature wooded lots ..on a point of land that backs up to base property at Quantico. The main gate is very close and accessible through back streets avoiding Rt.1 ...Rt.95 and traffic altogether.

It is a large home with a unique floor plan ideal for renters and privacy ....plenty of space/ rooms/ parking ...etc....that I currently share with just one other person ...who is a government contractor at Quantico...currently renting from me . Looking for one more making it a total of three people in the home including myself.

I am more concerned about everyone getting along and whom I bring in to the home than amount of rent . Only hoping to defray some of my expenses & utilities ... I think you'll find I'm a very reasonable guy. Big house ...seemed a waste not to share it ...

Long of wind and your post has been up a while. If curious please get back to me and I can provide you more details .

Thanks & Take Care ......hugh

PS ..Non- smoking house with no pets .

Old 08-07-2008, 02:37 AM

84 posts, read 443,562 times
Are the Feds watching this thread or something? Why does it have over 5,500 views but only 7 posts?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 AM

298 posts, read 914,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
Are the Feds watching this thread or something? Why does it have over 5,500 views but only 7 posts?
I'm nosy...and bored at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia