U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 05:36 PM

7,908 posts, read 9,608,783 times

Advertisements

So...if I join a new company or find myself in a new social group, I make it a point not to listen to the gossipy ninnies about their opinion on who everyone is.

I pride myself in meeting the people myself, forming my own relationship, and making my own independent judgement, without any preconceived notions.

Just food for thought.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 PM

11,340 posts, read 20,107,039 times
Couldn't rep. you again but just a side note: I introduced myself to new folks that had moved into a nearby house that I'd had the keys for as the older folks that lived there and I were friends) - mentioned to them that if they hadn't changed the locks I had a key if they wanted it back (they told me to keep it in case they needed it) - anyway, they also asked me if there were many others their age in the neighborhood (they seem to be in their 20's) - there are all ranges but most younger couples have a child/children - this couple doesn't appear to want to meet any but their own specific age and status (sad) - that being said - check out an area where you want to live and don't rule out meeting people of different ages, races, etc.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 PM

7,908 posts, read 9,608,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Couldn't rep. you again but just a side note: I introduced myself to new folks that had moved into a nearby house that I'd had the keys for as the older folks that lived there and I were friends) - mentioned to them that if they hadn't changed the locks I had a key if they wanted it back (they told me to keep it in case they needed it) - anyway, they also asked me if there were many others their age in the neighborhood (they seem to be in their 20's) - there are all ranges but most younger couples have a child/children - this couple doesn't appear to want to meet any but their own specific age and status (sad) - that being said - check out an area where you want to live and don't rule out meeting people of different ages, races, etc.

Totally agree.

I'm in my mid-40s. And besides my husband, my two best friends are lower-30s and upper-60s. Different races, different religions, different familial status.

So, I had heard that Middleburg, where I live, was all uppity, rich, horsey people. What I have found is that Middleburg contains many people of all economic levels, everyone I have met have been super kind and generous (ok..one cranky neighborhood person), and horses aren't a per-requisite to anything. I spend a fair amount of time explaining that to people who only know the stereotype.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:39 PM

49 posts, read 17,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I wouldn't take it that way by that question alone. I think its reasonable to want to be in a place where people in your age group are also moving to / living in, - which is different than wanting to be in a place that only includes, or predominantly includes, that category of people. In other words, I dont think that question suggests that they don't want a diverse neighborhood (by age, gender, social/wealth status, race etc).

I dont know your neighbors, so they might actually be what you suggested. But I can say first hand that a common fear of suburbia that young couples / adults in the late 20s to late 30s range have is that they will end up being the only ones in their communities in that group... meaning its not surprising that its one of the first questions they asked another local!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM

11,340 posts, read 20,107,039 times
Except they don't interact with anyone else, don't wave when someone waves to them, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or