U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
We are so wealthy and well-connected!
....and looking good going broke.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:12 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,700,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
....and looking good going broke.
We're doing fine, thanks.

You don't understand sarcasm, I take it.

car54, I did not dismiss you as "just a bus driver." Those are your words.

A TJ bus driver and a VRE proponent should be more focused and reasonable (or so I thought). You two have been way out of line.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-13-2008 at 04:44 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
LOL...There was two sides to that incident....he hit me and I got up....I hit him and he didn't.

BTW, the Federal contribution for military dependents' education in FCPS is a pittance. The lion's share of our school funding comes from Richmond...from STATE taxes that you don't pay.....AND Fairfax County taxes on cars and real estate. The ONLY fair thing about it is that military members are not exempt from the real estate tax.

BTW, please don't dismiss me as just a "bus driver"....I'm retired from DoD (SES). I was in my office at the Pentagon on 9-11-01....I paid my dues too.
Then you OUGHT to know better. You've been more grounded in the past. Spring seems to make people wiggy around here.

Your post doesn't even make sense regarding the taxes. You contradicted yourself.

It seems like you had a rough night, based on your posts. Maybe you need help with anger or depression.

It certainly shows new and potentially new people what they may encounter here.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-13-2008 at 04:50 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM

50 posts, read 167,915 times
Wow....I was amazed to see so many really interesting, some funny and some disturbing repsonses to my post. The reason that I gave my husbands rank was to really just give the standard BAH allowance that was available to us for anyone out there who might have had a rental available.

I will respond to a couple of other things that were posted. Just because we are a military family doesn't mean that we should have to "get rid" of some stuff or "grab" whatever is available. We too like to have quality of life and our things are precious to us and have been created out of every memory that we have experienced in our 25 year military history. I pare down every time we move, but we also keep what makes us comforatble and what gives our children their "roots" as we move about the country.

As far as grabbing "whatever is there," why should we? There are plenty of rentals to be had and as I was saying earlier, my problem is that all the houses we find wonderful, go as quick a blink of the eye, so I'm just trying to extend more feelers out there to find a house to make our home

As far as schools being intimidating etc.....

I'm sorry that Hayfield is going through rough times. My daughters both went to the elementary and we loved it, but we move where the test scores are highest and unfortunately for Hayfield the test scores and parent reviews have made it not a good choice for our family.

South County is an amazing school. We took the tour and it's a very, very large school. My daughter has 11 - 13 kids in her class as an 8th grader and while I'm sure she would rise to the challenge of attending such a large school, we feel it would be better to attend a smaller school for her.

Every decision we make is based on the best interests of our kids.

I wasn't knocking any school in Northern Va. I'm sure they all have their great attributes, but I need to choose the one that is going to be the best fit.

Again...sorry to cause a windstorm...It certainly wasn't my intent...

Oh...and btw...I would never cut in line at the commissary

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM

207 posts, read 659,127 times
Fittmom I feel your pain. I am in the same situation almost identical as you. I have been told that alot of houses will be opening up 30-45 days prior. Many people dont give notice until that point. The "good ones" go pretty quickly. I did notice there are storage facilities throughout the area if you cant fit it all. Most of the houses I looked at have finished basements. Being stationed at Fort Belvoir should give you more affordable options. Realtor.com has alot of rentals as well. You can get a huge house in Chantilly for under your BAH. Most people I know in the area are OVER their BAH--before utilities. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 AM

50 posts, read 167,915 times
Hey NWC

Thanks We always have to have a storage unit as well. We also realize that should we decide to live further South (Stafford) that we would find a bigger home, but we've lived in Lake Ridge, Kingstowne area, Fairfax Station in our previous assignments and this time, we're just trying to find the happy medium for everyone. For my hubby not to always have the extra long commute....For my kids to be in a school where they feel comfortable and for me too, to have easy access to activities etc.

I do have realtors looking as well...but I'm a strong believer in networking and I know that we aren't going to end out on the street in July I just feel like whatever I can do
will help us to our end goal, which is to find a great home to rent.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittmom View Post
Wow....I was amazed to see so many really interesting, some funny and some disturbing repsonses to my post. The reason that I gave my husbands rank was to really just give the standard BAH allowance that was available to us for anyone out there who might have had a rental available.

I will respond to a couple of other things that were posted. Just because we are a military family doesn't mean that we should have to "get rid" of some stuff or "grab" whatever is available. We too like to have quality of life and our things are precious to us and have been created out of every memory that we have experienced in our 25 year military history. I pare down every time we move, but we also keep what makes us comforatble and what gives our children their "roots" as we move about the country.

As far as grabbing "whatever is there," why should we? There are plenty of rentals to be had and as I was saying earlier, my problem is that all the houses we find wonderful, go as quick a blink of the eye, so I'm just trying to extend more feelers out there to find a house to make our home

You misunderstand the situation that I wrote about. During the housing bubble three years ago, there were not "plenty of rentals to be had." We had very little choice in what was available. I only related our experience so you had a little more perspective on the challenges and trade-offs this area demands. Homes as big as you seek are not common as rentals.

The air of entitlement in your post (the "why should I settle for less" attitude) is what car54 and VRE got spun up on, and I attempted to keep your thread on track. I'm sorry I even got on this thread.

Last edited by Fern435; 04-13-2008 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia