Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Anywhere in Reston will have decent schools except the South Lakes area. South Lakes is the "worst" area of Reston. You will not be able to afford to buy anything in Reston or Herndon on $140k salary. Most newer townhomes are starting at $500,000+ in both that area of Fairfax and even 30 mins away in Loudoun county. Wife and I make $180k+ combined and we had to move to West Virginia to afford a SFH in a decent school district.

Lots of older TH's in Reston for under 500k.

This one is only 20 years old and lists for 465k.

https://www.redfin.com/city/25657/VA...1362:-77.40804
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAaamerica View Post
Sites like Redfin use GreatSchools to show the rating of a school. South Lakes High is somehow rated 4 out of 10 (very low). Its clearly a mistake based on the more objective links that you provided.
GreatSchools has become a joke. I laughed out loud last year when I read that they changed their algorithm to LOWER a school's rating if it didn't have "enough" non-White students and students of "diverse" economic status (read: free/reduced lunches). Yes, I said LOWERED the rating.

Edited to add: Forgot the OP's question LOL! I'd suggest taking a look at the Mantua neighborhood in Fairfax County - lots of quiet, tree-lined streets, and lots of families with young children.

Last edited by Lusitan; 05-09-2019 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 03:33 PM

596 posts, read 729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
GreatSchools has become a joke. I laughed out loud last year when I read that they changed their algorithm to LOWER a school's rating if it didn't have "enough" non-White students and students of "diverse" economic status (read: free/reduced lunches). Yes, I said LOWERED the rating.
Do you have this verbiage on standby to cut and paste at the ready? You posted pretty much this exact same comment, including your reiteration and capitalization of LOWERED, on a different moving thread not long ago. We get it, you don't think diversification of race and socioeconomic status is important. At least not important enough to factor into a school's rating. As strange as this may seem to you, some parents actually value the concept their kids being exposed to people who aren't essentially clones of themselves. Being exposed to people who are different from themselves often helps to form more well-rounded human beings who aren't blindsided by culture shock when they go out into the real world. Don't worry, the "non-white" and "poor" doesn't rub off on your kid.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 PM

553 posts, read 615,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Who says Reston Southlakes area is the worst? -You?!

U.S. News Best High Schools 2019: Reston School Makes List

South Lakes High was ranked the 39th best high school in Virginia (out of hundreds of schools) and No. 1,340 nationwide with an overall score of 92.23 out of 100.

https://patch.com/virginia/reston/u-...ool-makes-list
That is below average for Fairfax County (15 high schools in FCPS ranked higher), and lower than the best schools in Loudoun, Prince William, and some other places across the state.

39th out of 300+ sounds very nice, until you consider that #1-4 and 8 of the top 9 are in the same system.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Anywhere in Reston will have decent schools except the South Lakes area. South Lakes is the "worst" area of Reston. You will not be able to afford to buy anything in Reston or Herndon on $140k salary. Most newer townhomes are starting at $500,000+ in both that area of Fairfax and even 30 mins away in Loudoun county. Wife and I make $180k+ combined and we had to move to West Virginia to afford a SFH in a decent school district.
"Anything" or do you mean townhomes/SFHs? I just did a search on Redfin and there are plenty of condos around $300K (or lower) in Reston, which is definitely affordable on a $140K salary (assuming not much other debt).

Old 05-10-2019, 11:02 PM

51 posts, read 55,227 times
How is an income of 140k low for Reston or any other parts of NoVa? Median household income in Fairfax County currently sits at around $118,279. Meaning the OP will be alone making what a household income in Fairfax County makes, which is not an easy task because Fairfax is always top ten in the country in this regard.

It’s not just Reston. There are other parts of Nova that’s I think OP can comfortably afford. Maybe we have different value systems whereby you don’t think more than a percentage of your income should go to mortgage payments.

Last edited by CaptainAaamerica; 05-10-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 08:49 PM

190 posts, read 844,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post

Edited to add: Forgot the OP's question LOL! I'd suggest taking a look at the Mantua neighborhood in Fairfax County - lots of quiet, tree-lined streets, and lots of families with young children.
I agree that GreatSchool's ranking system has become a joke, but the lowered ranking for not having enough non white students is inaccurate. Schools that have a higher ESOL population, say in the 5-10% range are getting their rankings lowered versus schools with a homogenous population and negligible ESOL population. Just look at Langley, which has no ESOL students versus McLean which has a 9% ESOL population. Both are fairly comparable in testing scores but Langley gets a 9/10 while McLean a 7/10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia