Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 AM

257 posts, read 221,741 times

Advertisements

What an absurd amount of overcrowding in Arlington south of 50. Multiple families crammed into single duplexes, electrical fires, pollution etc. -- looks third world.

Why would anyone with money choose to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
What an absurd amount of overcrowding in Arlington south of 50. Multiple families crammed into single duplexes, electrical fires, pollution etc. -- looks third world.

I agree that housing conditions for low income people in Arlington and Alexandria should be better, which is why I support policies to ameliorate them.

I can't say that any particular location in NoVa looks "third world" to me though. I have not heard about a lot of electrical fires, and of course pollution here is more due to cars than anything else.

If you are asking why anyone would choose to live in South Arlington, its close in (IE to jobs in DC, Crystal City, etc) and relatively affordable. It has many amenities, including parks and multi use trails, restaurants, (both yuppie style and immigrant cuisines) etc. Its a great choice for lots of people.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:54 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:

Huh? I’ve lived both North and South of 50 in Arlington the last 7 years. Nothing in Arlington looks like a third world country. At worst, a super congested neighborhood nearer to Baileys XRoads but far from third world country.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM

2,020 posts, read 4,596,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Huh? I’ve lived both North and South of 50 in Arlington the last 7 years. Nothing in Arlington looks like a third world country. At worst, a super congested neighborhood nearer to Baileys XRoads but far from third world country.
Agreed and I've been in Arlington for well over a decade. Never lived in south Arlington but spent plenty of time there- Haven't seen what OP is seeing!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
I've lived here for many years and have yet to see any "shantytowns" - another persona for another person who always complains about everything?

Old 04-25-2019, 06:02 PM

6,711 posts, read 4,140,889 times
He's exaggerating quite a bit, but there's certainly areas in South Arlington that are shadier than you would expect in the 5th or 6th richest county in the United States.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 PM

257 posts, read 221,741 times
How can the county allow multiple families to squat in single duplexes? Drive through the Arlington Mill neighborhood, it is clear very few people are legally living there. Just a bunch of unwitting or absentee home owners renting their house out to a sly one who in turn rents out every last square inch to someone else.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
How can the county allow multiple families to squat in single duplexes? Drive through the Arlington Mill neighborhood, it is clear very few people are legally living there. Just a bunch of unwitting or absentee home owners renting their house out to a sly one who in turn rents out every last square inch to someone else.
If the county started to crack down on housing like that, they’d have to throw out a lot of people who are paying rent for rooms in North Arlington, myself included, since that is a common way to help get by here in Arlington. Rent with people you have no prior or no blood relationship to.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:14 AM

230 posts, read 218,416 times
Quote:

Shantytowns? Third World? C'mon. Tone down the sensationalism a bit.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,033 times
Quote:

Just as you appear to have your own definition of "shantytown" you also appear to have your own definition of "squatting". If they are paying rent to the owner, then they are NOT squatting.

Clearly the shortage of housing has pushed people (not only in Arlington, but farther out in Fairfax, such as in Culmore and Annandale) to double up (or more) in rental units. When we make it harder than it needs to be to build new multifamily housing, because "oh its luxury units for yuppies anyway" we push some of them in to older hirises, which pushes the people who might have lived in the older hirises further down the ladder - the bottom are people whose choice is doubling or tripling up in the oldest low rises and duplexes, or being homeless. While govt programs to keep or add committed affordable housing can help, ultimately I think we need to address the issues that interfere with market production of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: