Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM

62 posts, read 263,018 times

Advertisements

Last week, I brought my SUV to a gas station for safety inspection. At the end, the inspector told me that he would fail me because the light bulbs on my fog light burnt out. I told him that the fog lights were not OEM and I installed it myself about 10 years ago. The bulbs burnt out about 5 years ago but no body before him made a fuss about them. He told me regardless if something was original or not, in VA it had to be in working condition when inspected and it is the law. In the end he let me pass but he said the he did me a favor and I had to replace the bulbs. Did he tell the truth? It did not make any sense to me since the fog lights are optional and 5 inspections before him did not raise any issue. I installed the fog light flushed on the grille and since replacing the bulbs required removing the grille, I just stopped using the lights altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
When my father took the Jeep he had for several years for an inspection at the dealership he bought it from and always had it serviced at, they said that it had the switches for a fog light and so it required the lights, even though it never had them before and always passed. This despite the same dealership servicing it at least five times prior. They ended up installing the fog lights free.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM

74 posts, read 187,773 times
I had the same issue a few years ago with fog lights. I ended up just ripping them out.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
When my father took the Jeep he had for several years for an inspection at the dealership he bought it from and always had it serviced at, they said that it had the switches for a fog light and so it required the lights, even though it never had them before and always passed. This despite the same dealership servicing it at least five times prior. They ended up installing the fog lights free.
The fog light systems were after market but made specifically for my Mitsubishi truck. The switch and harness plugged right in to the electrical systems but the lights requires drilling.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
If the lights are on the car, they need to work in Virginia. If you remove the socket, wiring, and bulb, they do not have to. Otherwise, from the VA Code:
"Fog lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected."

I'm surprised you made it 5 years...

Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
If the lights are on the car, they need to work in Virginia. If you remove the socket, wiring, and bulb, they do not have to. Otherwise, from the VA Code:
"Fog lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected."

I'm surprised you made it 5 years...

Thanks, but your answer made me agonizing . It takes about an hour to remove the grille and bumper to get access to to bulbs to replace it vs. about 2 hours to remove the switch and the lights and never have to worry about it again. The car is about 15 years old and new bulbs would last about 5 years and I have to replace it again in 2018. Decision... I would have about a year to make up my mind.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
You could do what I do when I get my SUV inspected, I put the covers on the fog lights. They tried to fail me before because I have them wired onto a separate switch, they don't turn off when the high beams are turned on. There is a rule that only 2 forward beams can be on at a time. So I asked them what I could do, and the inspector asked if I had the covers for the fog lights. They were in the truck. I put them on and they passed it - LOL

Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
You could do what I do when I get my SUV inspected, I put the covers on the fog lights. They tried to fail me before because I have them wired onto a separate switch, they don't turn off when the high beams are turned on. There is a rule that only 2 forward beams can be on at a time. So I asked them what I could do, and the inspector asked if I had the covers for the fog lights. They were in the truck. I put them on and they passed it - LOL
Thanks for the reminder. I had thought the code was just for other lights, but reading it again, it does see, to apply to fog lights. Here it is:

"EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection. Fog and driving lamps mounted below the level of the regular headlamps must be checked for aim as outlined in subdivisions I 10 i and 11 g of this section if not covered. NOTE: The covers shall be a type that would be installed as original equipment and not tape, paper bags, aluminum foil or similar materials per subdivision I 11g (2)."
Although if the OP doesn't have covers, I'm sure it is cheaper to buy a bulb.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,644 times
yeah. If you have a light, then it needs to work.

if it is a light that is for offroad, it must be covered.
This is why you see trucks with overhead lights or lights in the grill, they will have a cover, like a smiley face...etc.

it is specifically so that buttnuggets dont drive down the road with 8 lights on.

So if you have a switch for your foglights, you have to cover them. The only other way it so enable them to come on with your high beams, OR your low beams.

You cant have more than 4 bright lights on at once.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack__Obama View Post
yeah. If you have a light, then it needs to work.

if it is a light that is for offroad, it must be covered.
This is why you see trucks with overhead lights or lights in the grill, they will have a cover, like a smiley face...etc.

it is specifically so that buttnuggets dont drive down the road with 8 lights on.

So if you have a switch for your foglights, you have to cover them. The only other way it so enable them to come on with your high beams, OR your low beams.

You cant have more than 4 bright lights on at once.
You registered to respond to a 2013 topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia