Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 PM

550 posts, read 363,766 times

Advertisements

Unlike 20 years ago, it is becoming hard to find places in local stores and other brick and mortar places in No. VA, specifically western Fairfax County, where can post a classified ad for a large item for sale. Have a vintage reliable working bicycle trying to sell, which prohibitively expensive and a hassle to ship using eBay, sellers there typically charge $100 for the shipping not to mention boxing up such a large item and getting it to UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc. Craigslist has a reputation, where locally advised to meet any buyer at a police station, busy Starbucks, etc. For a one-time sale of an item, its a time-consuming headache to sign up with an online service, getting unwanted email, etc. For privacy reasons, I do not do Facebook. If I have to pay for an ad such as in a newspaper, its expensive, so free is better.

So where now, can simply post a paper ad or an index card describing the item for sale with a phone number (I would use my free Google Voice number in the ad ringing to my mobile cell phone)? Many stores, such as the local Giant Food stores, have taken down their bulletin boards for such ads years ago. I have seen such ads in recent times in bus stop shelters, but believe posting such ads there is against county ordinance, you can be fined, and ads removed within a matter of days. And for selling an item, not taking the lost dog or cat route posting on telephone or electric poles. And my community HOA frowns on posting such ads in the community.

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-21-2019 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 07:27 PM

91 posts, read 111,373 times
Perhaps something like a bike you can take the ad to GMU, make sure to have it stamped by the desk in the Johnson Center and you can put it on the boards they have there. Also you can take and try to sell it to the little Mom and Pop bike shops. I only know because we went looking at bikes in a small shop Leesburg and they said they buy and sell used bikes as well.

In general though, things have changed so much we save our time and simply donate our stuff and make sure to get a slip for the tax write offs.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
There aren't a lot of bulletin boards because that is not how buyers find what they want. So why the other (online) options might seem inconvenient for you, an inconvenient sale is better than no sale.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 AM

550 posts, read 363,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecessionCasualty View Post
Perhaps something like a bike you can take the ad to GMU, make sure to have it stamped by the desk in the Johnson Center and you can put it on the boards they have there. Also you can take and try to sell it to the little Mom and Pop bike shops. I only know because we went looking at bikes in a small shop Leesburg and they said they buy and sell used bikes as well.

In general though, things have changed so much we save our time and simply donate our stuff and make sure to get a slip for the tax write offs.

Thanks for your suggestions!, especially for the one at GMU, as I also had taken some classes there for some time in the past.

As far as the tax write off, other items I take mostly to Goodwill Centreville/Westfield to donate. They take most everything, some exceptions at their website, drive up and drop off in the fire lane in front of their store with store worker(s) with carts giving you a donation receipt. That is so easy.

Back to the bike, I checked the vintage bike's blue book value (yes, there is a blue book for bikes I found online, as well as of course for cars). With what a willing buyer will pay for this bike in a local private party transaction per the blue book, my tax situation, I expect to get way more out of this bike selling it vs. a tax write off.

RecessionCasualty, do you recall the name of the small bike shop in Leesburg you visited that buys and sells used bikes?

Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 AM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
I suppose you could get a For Sale sign and ride around the town with that taped on your handle bars. Park it in the bike rack at one of the commuter lots.
Or spend the day at a local park on the bike trails. Try not to get arrested.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Unlike 20 years ago, it is becoming hard to find places in local stores and other brick and mortar places in No. VA, specifically western Fairfax County, where can post a classified ad for a large item for sale. Have a vintage reliable working bicycle trying to sell, which prohibitively expensive and a hassle to ship using eBay, sellers there typically charge $100 for the shipping not to mention boxing up such a large item and getting it to UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc. Craigslist has a reputation, where locally advised to meet any buyer at a police station, busy Starbucks, etc. For a one-time sale of an item, its a time-consuming headache to sign up with an online service, getting unwanted email, etc. For privacy reasons, I do not do Facebook. If I have to pay for an ad such as in a newspaper, its expensive, so free is better.

So where now, can simply post a paper ad or an index card describing the item for sale with a phone number (I would use my free Google Voice number in the ad ringing to my mobile cell phone)? Many stores, such as the local Giant Food stores, have taken down their bulletin boards for such ads years ago. I have seen such ads in recent times in bus stop shelters, but believe posting such ads there is against county ordinance, you can be fined, and ads removed within a matter of days. And for selling an item, not taking the lost dog or cat route posting on telephone or electric poles. And my community HOA frowns on posting such ads in the community.
If you are looking to sell locally and don't want to bother with shipping, try joining www.nextdoor.com. That functions as a community bulletin board. You join as a member from one neighborhood, but that gives you access to many more neighborhoods around your local area. It's free to join. A lot of people use it for selling items, giving away items, and seeking personal recommendations for various local services (ex: babysitting, lawn care, dentists, etc.) Not everyone in your area will be a member but your notice will reach a number of people regardless. People often use nextdoor to sell furniture, lawn mowers, and other bulky items.

City Data also has a classified ad subforum. I don't use it myself but I see that people will name the item and the location in the thread title. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Many of the grocery stores in my area still have the bulletin boards, as do laundromats. Most of the notes posted on local bulletin boards are in Spanish though.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
The only options, IMO - take it to a local bike shop, spread word of mouth with friends, nobody looks at those old bulletin board ad things, if you even see then anymore. If you aren't willing to post it on Craigslist or FB................

Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
It is not 1995 anymore; people do not look at paper ads for things.

You can put it on ebay for local pickup only

You could stop whining and put it on craigslist like most people would...literally only need an email (which craigslist hides anyway) and don't have to share any contact information with buyers if you don't want to...this would by far be the easiest way to find out if anyone wants it (blue book is just a book, actual demand is another thing)

Register for whatever forum corresponds to your bike and put it in the for sale section there. Any professional shop is not going to give you much for it as they have to work their profit in too

Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM

654 posts, read 423,514 times
I have bought and sold many things on craigslist and have never met in public place to make the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia