U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM

954 posts, read 1,293,492 times

Advertisements

All the previous posters have recommended really great spots.

Deep Creek - Get away from it all into far rural Maryland. Very pretty in the fall but falling temps impact water sport activity. Cheaper than the coast.

I dunno about Cove Point but I used to live near Solomans Island. Nice spot. Calvert Cliffs is home to a Nuclear Power Plant but also has some really cool spots to explore along the beach. Locally, it is famous for fossils, and you can often find petrified sharks teeth. Check it oall out with the
Calvert Marine Museum. Fun, low key, and extra academic brownie points!

Ocean City/Virginia Beach - If you really enjoy the Spring Break college party crowd, well then, here it is. This is a down market local version of Fort Lauderdale.

Nags Head - A bit more crowded and rowdy but still okay for family.

Hatteras/Wave/Duck/Avalon/Buxton - More subdued but more family friendly than Nags Head

Ocracoke - Lots of National Seashore, very very limited on commercial development. Best for the low key family family holiday with an emphasis on seashore and very little on commercial development. Awesome one=hour ferry ride, and it's free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,933 times
Hello, my young family has loved going to Holden Beach in NC. it is very quiet and family oriented. there is a bridge on/off the island and very quick to get to kids activities like ice cream, water slides, go karts, restaurants. it is a great time there!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,928,382 times
We decided to give Myrtle Beach a try this year.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,327,463 times
I love Myrtle Beach. There are a ton of kid-friendly stuff to do, even more for teens (Broadway at the Beach, NASCAR and Hard Rock amusement parks, etc.). It's kind of like a mini-Orlando with a big beach nearby. Also, great and relatively inexpensive golf.

I particularly like the condos/ timeshare rentals in N. Myrtle Beach. They have some high rise buildings with great views, lazy rivers, kid activity rooms, and large pool complexes. But they are away from the hustle and bustle of the Boardwalk and the seedy elements of a typical beach town. The sand is much harder than it is in NJ or MD, but its still fun to be on the beach.

This resort is my favorite, but there are dozens of similar places.

www.seawatchresort.com

Old 07-11-2008, 07:38 PM

847 posts, read 3,236,834 times
Bethany Beach, no question. I can not believe that no one has mentioned it. It is the best family friendly beach around. You can rent a house or a condo at Sea Colony. We went every summer when I was a child and it was the best, the same families are there every year, they have great activities for kids and a great town with restaurants.

We also love the Outer Banks but that is a more quiet, secluded vacation, which is great but Bethany will give you a fun time with other families, your kids can make friends, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia