U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 AM

105 posts, read 124,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Would it be feasible to find a tear down on a quiet lot, then build the house you want? With your budget, the availability of small ranches, and your willingness to make changes to the rejected house, I wonder if building your own is the way to go for you.
I toy with that idea all the time. Haven't seen a lot I like yet. I've seen a bunch along the GW Parkway, which is a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 02:02 PM

For those still with me on this thread, I saw this house in Wilton Woods today. House was iffy. Grounds were just what I would want, but there was terrible traffic noise from Telegraph Rd. Ugh!!! Where are the houses in eastern Alexandria without heavy traffic noise?
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...0/home/9758743

Old 06-25-2019, 03:26 PM

129 posts, read 133,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
For those still with me on this thread, I saw this house in Wilton Woods today. House was iffy. Grounds were just what I would want, but there was terrible traffic noise from Telegraph Rd. Ugh!!! Where are the houses in eastern Alexandria without heavy traffic noise?
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...0/home/9758743

You'll just need to get off of the main roads such as Fort Hunt Road, the parkway, Rte 1, Telegraph Road, etc. Some of the neighborhoods may border those roads, but interior streets are much quieter.

I'm partial to the 22309 zipcode as I was born and raised there, but there are a lot of neighborhoods that could fit your bill of a nice yard and not a lot of noise. But, be aware that close to the river is also close to the flight path into National Airport.

Starting from the north and working south along the Parkway area here are some nice neighborhoods:

-Belle Haven (away from Fort Hunt Road and the intersection with Rte 1)
-Villa May (but the street closest to the parkway could be noisy)
-The area around the north side of Morningside Lane between Fort Hunt Road and the parkway (not sure of the neighborhood name)
-Stratford Landing has some older houses (some have been rebuilt and could be on the water of Little Hunting Creek)

If you're willing to go a little farther into 22309
Wessynton - if you would like a contemporary style vibe
The house I pointed out earlier in Woodland Park

Belle Rive

Some of the other newer houses off of Ferry Landing Road including Mt Vernon on the Potomac

Old 06-25-2019, 03:42 PM

2,278 posts, read 997,681 times
I haven't read the whole thread but just a couple observations. The house does not appear to be right on the road so that’s one thing. It looks like you have a vegetation buffer between the house and the road so, in the summer, with leaves on everything, it will help shield the noise.

It’s a parkway and there is no heavy truck traffic etc. permitted, at least when I travelled it. That eliminates a lot of the potentially more annoying sounds. Many of the homes I saw along the parkway were quite high above the roadway. If yours is positioned so, that should also help hold things down. Finally, a well built, tight home, can cut down on noise penetrating the house a lot. If you spend a lot of time outside, you might want to check that out. Unless you’re very sensitive to such sounds, it looks to me like it wouldn’t really be that bad.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 PM

14,476 posts, read 5,999,667 times
Quote:
I went again at noon and it is still loud. There is a part of the property where you can actually see the cars go by on the parkway. For that price, I want to love sitting out in my yard. The noise aggravated me. I will keep looking.
Traffic on the parkway throws off a lot of noise. I ride my bike along E. Boulevard Dr. and it's very noticeable. If noise is an issue you're wise to keep looking. By the way, have you noticed the monstrosity for sale on the corner of Waynewood Blvd. and West Blvd. Dr.? Humongous creepy looking house completely out of character for the neighborhood. What was that builder thinking? Last I heard the asking price was 1.1 mil. And no takers.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemapva View Post
You'll just need to get off of the main roads such as Fort Hunt Road, the parkway, Rte 1, Telegraph Road, etc. Some of the neighborhoods may border those roads, but interior streets are much quieter.

I'm partial to the 22309 zipcode as I was born and raised there, but there are a lot of neighborhoods that could fit your bill of a nice yard and not a lot of noise. But, be aware that close to the river is also close to the flight path into National Airport.

Starting from the north and working south along the Parkway area here are some nice neighborhoods:

-Belle Haven (away from Fort Hunt Road and the intersection with Rte 1)
-Villa May (but the street closest to the parkway could be noisy)
-The area around the north side of Morningside Lane between Fort Hunt Road and the parkway (not sure of the neighborhood name)
-Stratford Landing has some older houses (some have been rebuilt and could be on the water of Little Hunting Creek)

If you're willing to go a little farther into 22309
Wessynton - if you would like a contemporary style vibe
The house I pointed out earlier in Woodland Park

Belle Rive

Some of the other newer houses off of Ferry Landing Road including Mt Vernon on the Potomac
I have looked at a few in Belle Haven, but honestly the ones I have seen have also had traffic noise from the mixing bowl/rte 1. Houses for sale come up a lot on Grove and I have totally ruled that street out because of noise. I am going to revisit this house to check on the noise again. I do remember I noticed it. Kitchen has no island and I am not sure there is room for one. A north facing backyard is also the worst kind for a gardener such as myself.

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...7/home/9762477

Have seen a few houses in Villa May but they have been my most hated type--rambler.

I will check out Morningside Lane and Stratford Lane and Belle Rive. As much as possible we want to be nearer the beltway rather than farther and for sure Mt Vernon is too far. Really, the subject of this thread on E. Boulevard was a bit too far but the spectacular gardens turned my head.

Thanks for sticking with me and giving me recommendations.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but just a couple observations. The house does not appear to be right on the road so that’s one thing. It looks like you have a vegetation buffer between the house and the road so, in the summer, with leaves on everything, it will help shield the noise.

It’s a parkway and there is no heavy truck traffic etc. permitted, at least when I travelled it. That eliminates a lot of the potentially more annoying sounds. Many of the homes I saw along the parkway were quite high above the roadway. If yours is positioned so, that should also help hold things down. Finally, a well built, tight home, can cut down on noise penetrating the house a lot. If you spend a lot of time outside, you might want to check that out. Unless you’re very sensitive to such sounds, it looks to me like it wouldn’t really be that bad.
I visited the house on the Pkway again (the link is upthread) and the noise was horrible in the middle of the day. I could not live with it. Every car made a swish sound as it went by. I could not hear a thing in the house, but I want a quiet outside garden as much as I want a nice house.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Traffic on the parkway throws off a lot of noise. I ride my bike along E. Boulevard Dr. and it's very noticeable. If noise is an issue you're wise to keep looking. By the way, have you noticed the monstrosity for sale on the corner of Waynewood Blvd. and West Blvd. Dr.? Humongous creepy looking house completely out of character for the neighborhood. What was that builder thinking? Last I heard the asking price was 1.1 mil. And no takers.
It was so very noisy I was surprised. It felt like you were on the side of the Pkwy, with the swish swish of cars going by. No thanks. I want to hear some birds singing. YES! I have seen that Scooby Doo house. Just awful. What kind of architect is responsible for this??
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...8/home/9820044
I'll go you one better---a good location but my God who would do this?!?!?
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria.../home/11851266

Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 PM

14,476 posts, read 5,999,667 times
Quote:
It was so very noisy I was surprised. It felt like you were on the side of the Pkwy, with the swish swish of cars going by. No thanks. I want to hear some birds singing. YES! I have seen that Scooby Doo house. Just awful. What kind of architect is responsible for this??
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...8/home/9820044
I'll go you one better---a good location but my God who would do this?!?!?
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria.../home/11851266
Yes, that's the one. Like something out of the Addams Family. And the price is down to $999,000. No one wants this white elephant. The one on W. Taylor Run Parkway is pretty strange too. But right off the bat the steps would be a deal breaker. I don't want to walk up a flight and a half of stairs just to get to my front door. Someone mentioned Belle Haven. One of my favorite neighborhoods in the Alex. area once you get into it away from Fort Hunt Road. Some of the steep streets might be a problem in winter. Rosemont in town is a great neighborhood too. I like the big old American foursquares.

Last edited by r small; 06-25-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 PM

I am not sure I have seen the one on W. Taylor Run. I am visiting for a second time one in Belle Haven. I have found you can hear traffic from the mixing bowl and Rte 1 in many of those houses though. There are a few that look like Hansel and Gretel cottages that I wish were for sale. Rosemont is my first choice of neighborhood and in the past 2 years I have made an offer on one house--and it was in Rosemont. The winning bid waived the home inspection and I am not confident in myself to recognize big house problems. I am still sad about not getting it. So many houses on the market right now seem to be ugly dregs people are just trying to get out of.
Here is the Rosemont house I wish I had gotten:
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria.../home/11845840
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia