Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM

107 posts, read 154,194 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live next to Old Town and am moving because I am sick of not having a yard. It is just my husband and I, but we want a house with a yard. Rosemont would be my first choice--we had an offer in last year on a house but did not get it. It went to someone that waived inspection, which I just won't do. I have not seen anything with a nice yard since, so we are broadening our area. I am sick of looking. An interesting house has come up in Wilton Woods, but I know zero about this neighborhood. I am used to riding my bike a lot--will I be able to do that there? We don't have kids, and would very much NOT like living near small screaming children in the street. Is that possible in Wilton Woods are is it super kid-friendly? Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
Hi all,

I live next to Old Town and am moving because I am sick of not having a yard. It is just my husband and I, but we want a house with a yard. Rosemont would be my first choice--we had an offer in last year on a house but did not get it. It went to someone that waived inspection, which I just won't do. I have not seen anything with a nice yard since, so we are broadening our area. I am sick of looking. An interesting house has come up in Wilton Woods, but I know zero about this neighborhood. I am used to riding my bike a lot--will I be able to do that there? We don't have kids, and would very much NOT like living near small screaming children in the street. Is that possible in Wilton Woods are is it super kid-friendly? Any thoughts appreciated.

If you are planning on riding to Old Town from there, you would have to ride the sidewalk on Telegraph, or be brave enough to ride ON Telegraph, or go out of your way to Clermont or to the Mount Vernon Trail.

As a bike rider, I would not look there.

I would love to have more bike riders in the City, esp in places outside the obvious ones like Del Ray. But I cannot vouch for any SFH areas having few kids.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Thank for your response. I was afraid of that. I am looking at a house tomorrow in Belle Haven. Except for having to cross the GW Parkway, the Mt. Vernon trail is very near.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 PM

152 posts, read 179,842 times
Based on your other post about the house off of the GW Parkway, I would suggest this one. No parkway noise here, easy access to the Mount Vernon bike trail, and a quiet street. The only possible noise on this one is the proximity to the neighborhood pool in the next neighborhood over (Wessynton).

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...9/home/9826255

Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM

Thank you. It is a lovely house and you definitely understand what I am looking for in terms of a yard, but it is a bit too far out there in terms of getting to the beltway for work. We are pushing it with the other house in Fort Hunt. That is about our southern limit.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 AM

You're welcome. It's been awhile since I've made that drive during rush hour, but I don't think that house should take more than 10 or so minutes more than the Fort Hunt house.

Good luck with your search.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
Thank for your response. I was afraid of that. I am looking at a house tomorrow in Belle Haven. Except for having to cross the GW Parkway, the Mt. Vernon trail is very near.

Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?

OTOH I think NPS may be exploring improving the crossing. But its a real barrier now.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?

OTOH I think NPS may be exploring improving the crossing. But its a real barrier now.

At least at the Belle Haven crossing, the speed limit is 35 and there is a median.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and i parked at the parking area across the parkway near Morningside Lane and had to run across with our bikes from there.

No median and the 45 mph speed limit made for a good adrenaline rush:-)

Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM

Yes, I have crossed at that median several times. Not my favorite, but not the worst. Anyway, I am just back from seeing this house in Wilton Woods. Wilton Woods looked like a nice, leafy neighborhood. This house is out, not just for the many little stairs in it, but because I could hear a lot of traffic noise from Telegraph Rd.
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Alexandria...0/home/9758743
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia