U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 41,385 times

Advertisements

With the market the way it is, we might find a home for our $250k budget and 2 infants!
Major criteria: NEAR VRE/METRO (I work on Capitol Hill), around $250k or less.
Less Major criteria: 1/4 acre; low crime, good schools

Here's my rundown so far:
1. Burke (perfect): Saw a short-sale there, 3br/2ba on 1/3 acre for $274k. Wow. Now, I know it's low-hanging fruit, but still - eveything around it is in the mid-300's.

2. West/North Springfield: Similar to Burke; no real complaints except for high prices...

3. Manassas Park: affordable SFH's; lots of selection from the mid-100's up to and past our $250k range. Crime is under control (per NITROVIC) and illegals are leaving PW county in droves. Schools are BAD BAD BAD - but only when compared to FFX county. Otherwise schools, compared to the rest of the U.S., are pretty good. My biggest gripe is sprawl/congestion. Hoping Maplewood addresses some of the crappy zoning on rte 28...

4. Manassas: similar to above.

5. Lorton to Quantico: similar to above

Other than checking out MARC-accessible areas like Columbia, MD, are there any other suggestions? I've all but ruled out Woodbridge/Dale City, due to congestion alone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,322,995 times
Check this community out. Staying Close To Nature, and To Neighbors - washingtonpost.com

I remember looking at it 4 years ago and thought it was very nice, but a little too expensive. It's a 4Br/3Ba TH community that surrounds a lake near Mt. Vernon. That article piqued my interest and I was surprised that prices have really cratered. FranklyMLS.com Virginia & DC MLS via Keyword Search & Wiki There are several banked owned units going for $250K-280K that used to sell for $370K a year or so ago.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 PM

951 posts, read 1,290,082 times
vhblocker
Can you stand to stick it out in a rental for a year or so? Cause prices are guaranteed to drop and you can take your time to pick out some sweet deals, if you are patient.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Slim04 - we are pretty set on a freestanding SFH, but I'll take a look at Pinewood Lake. I lived in Reston for two years, so the idea definitely appeals to *me*. <whisper> "it's the wife that needs convincing!" </whisper>

ersatz - Haven't really considered renting, since we have a lot of equity in what we own right now (condo). I guess that may become an option if we can't find something to buy...

Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,098,772 times
274k for a sfh on 1/3 of an acre in Burke seems like a pretty good deal to me. Especially if it's in decent shape.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,874 times
If every other house in the neighborhood is selling for significantly more than $274K, that tells you that the house is probably NOT in decent shape.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:30 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,098,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If every other house in the neighborhood is selling for significantly more than $274K, that tells you that the house is probably NOT in decent shape.
That's a good point. And probably very true. But some of the short sales/foreclosures in the area have some really low balled prices regardless of condition. Mainly because they're being sold "as is" - the bank doesn't want to deal with home inspections and fixing any problems.

Normal resales are probably a much safer way to go. But they will carry a higher price tag.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,874 times
If a house in great condition is listed at a lowball price because a bank just wants to clear the property from its inventory, it would be sold within days. Most short sales and foreclosures are NOT in great condition, and many need considerable work, which is why they are priced well below comparable nearby homes.
Those who are considering the purchase of such homes would do well to ponder just how the former owners ended up in foreclosure to begin with. Eventually, the market catches up with you.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
I honestly don't think you'll find a SFH in the price range you have in mind. People are NOT giving away their homes, the foreclosure sales, as stated, are "as is" you don't know what kind of problems the homes have.

I think - rent until you have the money to get into a home at a reasonable price that is well maintained, passes, inspection, etc.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Well, "as-is" doesn't mean it can't be inspected first to assess the extent of how bad it might be... it just means that the bank is not liable for repairs. You get what you get. And this might not be a bad thing... even with the market downturn, 20,000 jobs are being moved to Ft. Belvoir in the next year. THAT will have an effect on housing prices. So get'em while they're hot, "as-is" or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or