Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
No I don’t think they will go down that far either. I am talking about inducing sprawl and development in Caroline county, which is really the only largely rural county left in between DC and Richmond. However, to point to Brooklyndad’s point, the tolling should help curb some of this development. I believe with this area’s terrible land use policy coupled with NIMBYism, affordable housing is increasingly hard to find. We need to focus affordable housing closer in by allowing greater density closer in, it puts people at a severe disadvantage to have to pay the price of commuting such far distances.
I work with a guy who commutes from Caroline County (Ladysmith) now, 5 days a week to Arlington for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 AM

6,968 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Van pool or the start to slug. People are enticed by getting more house for their money and developers will take advantage of that.
People are trying to get more house than they need. Funny how a 1000sf house was enough for our parents and grandparents to raise their family.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM

230 posts, read 220,193 times
The big problem here is that I-95 carries too much local, regional, and long-distance traffic on one corridor. Extending the express lanes south to U.S. Route 17 is only going to shift the current bottleneck that occurs all too often at Garrisonville Road further south.

I don't think the express lane extension (as currently planned) will precipitate any additional development beyond what's already being envisioned or what's already in the pipeline. I suppose my mind would change if the lanes were ever extended further south to Thornburg or even I-295.

The DC region really needs an eastern bypass along U.S. Route 301 and I-97 (or even just along U.S. Route 301 all the way to Delaware) that could siphon off some of the long-distance traffic that helps gum up I-95. I know Maryland would probably not be in favor...

Old 07-11-2019, 05:47 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
The big problem here is that I-95 carries too much local, regional, and long-distance traffic on one corridor. Extending the express lanes south to U.S. Route 17 is only going to shift the current bottleneck that occurs all too often at Garrisonville Road further south.

I don't think the express lane extension (as currently planned) will precipitate any additional development beyond what's already being envisioned or what's already in the pipeline. I suppose my mind would change if the lanes were ever extended further south to Thornburg or even I-295.

The DC region really needs an eastern bypass along U.S. Route 301 and I-97 (or even just along U.S. Route 301 all the way to Delaware) that could siphon off some of the long-distance traffic that helps gum up I-95. I know Maryland would probably not be in favor...
We shall see if they decide another extension is needed after this one. Developing alternative routes always seems like a better option than simply adding more lanes. These lanes are designed for dynamic pricing that changes the toll as traffic in the lanes increase. You’re right about only furthering the bottleneck. Hopefully the extension can get rid of enough local traffic before the bottleneck, that is before development is pushed further. Gas is still fairly cheap😁
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia