Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 AM

32 posts, read 121,046 times

Advertisements

To the point: Which areas for apartment rentals are ones to avoid? For all of us looking at rentals on line, we have no means of knowing which areas to seek/avoid. I don't mean apartment communities, specifically, (unless you have a word of advice to pass on) since I've found a site for apartment ratings, however I'm having trouble getting an overall feel for the area and trust the NOVA natives on this forum to lead in the right direction. Can someone give an overall breakdown?

I'm going to have to pick an apartment community on line without the benefit of seeing a place before I move there. (I know!) If it wasn't bad enough to try to find a place for a single female where I can actually WALK to a Metro to work in D.C., have a view and be able to afford it, the main thing is not knowing which areas are relatively safe to walk in, or which areas are um...less than desirable. You certainly in no unequivocal terms can determine that by looking at community features and floor plans! (They would all have you think you are "right next door to a Metro" but can be a hike to walk)

Please help the multitudes in our rental search with a guideline of which areas to avoid, and thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
I spent my single years living in the Court House area, right next to the Arlington Court House and two blocks from the metro station, and I always felt safe. I would say anything a short walking distance to the following metro stops: Court House, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston on the orange line or Pentagon City and Crystal City on the blue and yellow line, is overall safe. Rosslyn is conveniently located, but in the evenings, it is more isolated. To find out how far the apartment is from the metro station, look at the neighborhood WMATA maps: Metro - Homepage If you narrow done your choices, post them here and I'm sure someone will know how the neighborhood is.

Last edited by mlv311; 05-03-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 02:32 PM

540 posts, read 790,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I spent my single years living in the Court House area, right next to the Arlington Court House and two blocks from the metro station, and I always felt safe. I would say anything a short walking distance to the following metro stops: Court House, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston on the orange line or Pentagon City and Crystal City on the blue and yellow line, is overall safe. Rosslyn is conveniently located, but in the evenings, it is more isolated. To find out how far the apartment is from the metro station, look at the neighborhood WMATA maps: Metro - Homepage If you narrow done your choices, post them here and I'm sure someone will know how the neighborhood is.
I concur. Really, what Metro did to Arlington was to escalate housing prices so high near the stops, that the neighborhoods are pretty safe. I am more familiar with Ballston/Va Square/Clarendon and there isn't much trouble to be had there. There are some areas near Rosslyn that seem a little sketchy to me, but I haven't spent much time there. You are going to pay for the safety and convenience though, so prepare for that.

If the walk-to-the-Metro part isn't a complete non-starter and cost is a factor, I could also suggest the area that I am currently living in, along Columbia Pike in south Arlington. The Pike gets a bad name because there are a lot of immigrants, but almost all of the trouble happens much further west, near Four Mile Run and Bailey's Crossroads. The area east of Glebe Rd. is better, cheaper, and it is along the busiest bus route in Virginia - taking you straight to the Pentagon.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 AM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I am more familiar with Ballston/Va Square/Clarendon and there isn't much trouble to be had there. There are some areas near Rosslyn that seem a little sketchy to me, but I haven't spent much time there. You are going to pay for the safety and convenience though, so prepare for that.
I can't think of any parts of Rosslyn that are sketchy. 20 years ago there were still some run down properties south of Wilson Blvd, but the area has pretty much been gentrified. Anywhere along the Orange Line between Rosslyn and Ballston is very safe. Some apartments, especially those in Courthouse and Rosslyn offer spectacular views of DC. But rents are expensive. You will find cheaper rents in some of the older garden style apartment complexes. Buckingham near the Ballston station has affordable garden apartments, and the neighborhood is no longer the crime-ridden area it was in the late 80s/early nineties, but it still feels a bit rough around the edges.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,087 times
I wouldn't recommend Buckingham for a single female. I would also second the areas along Columbia Pike or in Shirlington area if you are looking to save on the metro premium. They both have bus service that is 5 minutes or less to the Pentagon during rush hour.

If you are looking for a place quickly, why don't you get a hotel or furnished place for a week or two and then look when you get here. Most of the larger apartments will rent to you pretty much on the spot if your credit and background checks out.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 PM

32 posts, read 121,046 times
Default Breakdown?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! So what I gather from the threads is generally this?

-Stay away from Bailey's Crossroads
-Stay away from Tyson's Corner
-Stay away from anything south of Glebe Road
-Sketchy in Rosslyn (isolated at night)

-Safe in the Ballston/Courthouse area
-Safe along the Columbia Pike
-Safe out in Alexandria?

Mind you, I'm not paranoid, and every metropolis has trouble spots, but again, it's hard to tell anything at all by looking at photos in the Apartment Showcase book. Thanks for the advice on the hotel idea. I will be needing to store all my belongings in a storage facility, but that's another thread.....

Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizsyx View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond! So what I gather from the threads is generally this?

-Stay away from Bailey's Crossroads
-Stay away from Tyson's Corner
-Stay away from anything south of Glebe Road
-Sketchy in Rosslyn (isolated at night)

-Safe in the Ballston/Courthouse area
-Safe along the Columbia Pike
-Safe out in Alexandria?

Mind you, I'm not paranoid, and every metropolis has trouble spots, but again, it's hard to tell anything at all by looking at photos in the Apartment Showcase book. Thanks for the advice on the hotel idea. I will be needing to store all my belongings in a storage facility, but that's another thread.....

Thanks again!
Here's my answers to your questions.

-Yes, DEFINTELY avoid Bailey's Crossroads.
-No, Tyson's Corner is okay, getting to a metro station is gonna be hard.
-No, not EVERYTHING S of Glebe.
- Rosslyn sketchy? PLEASE!!!
-Yes, safe in Ballston Courthouse area.
- Columbia Pike N of Glebe okay, S of Glebe Nope.
- Yes most of Alexandria City is safe (also a little cheaper than Arlington) except Arlandria.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
You can always take a look at the crimes reported by area: Crime, Home Sales and Schools in DC, Maryland and Virginia - Local Explorer (washingtonpost.com)
BTW, while I wouldn't call Rosslyn sketchy, the reason I mentioned it being isolated at night is because, if I'm not mistaken, a few months ago there were a string of sexual assaults around the metro at night. As a female, I'm most afraid of that type of crime.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 PM

45 posts, read 162,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
- Columbia Pike N of Glebe okay, S of Glebe Nope.
I on Columbia Pike, about two blocks north of Glebe. Always felt safe here.

I remember hearing reports of a shooting near my apartment a few years back. It was a big deal because it was the first one in a long, long time. Haven't been any more since.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,831 times
so i take it skyline towers in bailey's crossroads aren't that nice anymore? i had a friend who lived there about 12 years ago and i thought they were well-kept then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia