Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,817 times

Advertisements

"Toys for Tots" only accepts new, unopened toys, so I wanted to know where could I donate used toys.

My son's at an age where (I think) he can understand the concept of "charity", so I would like to get him started. He didn't have a problem with "Toys for Tots" last year since he wasn't attached to the new toys....but this time, I want him to "give away" something he used to play with to someone who probably isn't at an advantage to play with a lot of toys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 AM

282 posts, read 873,112 times
How about the Salvation Army? There's one on Glebe at 50 where we take our gently used stuff.
You can search by zip code on their web site: The Salvation Army: Home

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM

219 posts, read 472,186 times
Our daycare accepts used toy donations, so it's probably not the only one. When we were kids we donated ours to the YMCA daycare.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
We have donated our things to a charity called Precious Life. Now this is out of PA, but they may have a chapter here. The items go to young mothers who chose to have their children rather than abortion. (Not saying ANYTHING political here. What you believe is what you believe. This is just what we do with ours! I am a married woman with two kids and find it hard. I can't imagine being a young teen/mother and doing it!)

We have also given ours to a church, Salvation Army, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Check with the group before you show up as there have been some new regulations out on used toys. I think there's some federal guidelines (law?) that they can't accept them anymore because of the concern of lead in the paint. I know a charity we use to give to had told me they can't accept used toys anymore. Such a shame...

Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
You could always have a yard/garage sale (a pain, I know) and sell the toys with your son helping you. Then you can have him donate his money to a charity maybe. Used toys can be hard to donate; however, if they are in good shape, they seem to really sell well at yard sales.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM

169 posts, read 385,991 times
I have recently taken used toys to the Salvation Army in Manassas. However, the Leesburg Salvation Army no longer accepts them since far back as last summer. Call ahead.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,312 times
Well, it's not a lesson in charity so much as finance, but we have taken some toys to Once Upon a Child in Manassas and then put the money in our son's account. It's a thrift shop that buys used toys and clothes as long as they are in excellent condition.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
There are Freecycle mailing lists in various parts of NoVA - you send an email to the list that you're offering stuff. You could specify you prefer charities if you wish, or just give it to any taker.

The Freecycle Network

Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
"Toys for Tots" only accepts new, unopened toys, so I wanted to know where could I donate used toys.

My son's at an age where (I think) he can understand the concept of "charity", so I would like to get him started. He didn't have a problem with "Toys for Tots" last year since he wasn't attached to the new toys....but this time, I want him to "give away" something he used to play with to someone who probably isn't at an advantage to play with a lot of toys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
K
Having him give away unwanted items really doesn't teach him any lesson other than that the poor are a dumping ground for our castoffs and garbage. A better lesson would be taught by encouraging him to donate something he still values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia