U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 18,090 times

Advertisements

Hiya... my husband has to go out of the country for a period of 18 mths...Im left to raise our 3 yr old boy and 2 month old girl on my own.... i have been a stay at home mom for the past 3 yrs and now i have to get back into the workforce...... im forced to move from silver spring to the stafford area where the rent is more affordable...the dilema i have is that my son's daycare is in silver spring and i plan on leaving him there until i know exactly where i will be working...
My first question is... does any one know another route from Stafford to Md/dc without using 495 so i can get my son to school b4 9am every morning???

Also can anyone recommend an excellent preschool in or around stafford??? His current preschool has an excellent curriculum which includes pre-writing, science, math etc...It is guaranteed he will be reading and writing by the time he turns 4...for all these reasons and more im very reluctant to pull him out of the school until a find an eqivalent preschool here in virginia arond stafford...

Please help me!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 01:50 AM

130 posts, read 608,965 times
Tricky... I would assume the kind of highly academic pre-school you are talking about would be located in a day care facility (Minnieland, Kindercare, Children of America, La Petite) kind of place. The preschools I mentioned in your other post certainly cover the basics but they are predominantly more social growth focused. Play based learning kind of stuff. St. Paul's and Cloverdale in Woodbridge are probably more academic than others and St. Matthew's is probably most like a Montessori curriculum. None of them are going to "guarantee" reading and writing by age 4. They're going to provide a warm and caring environment for social, emotional, and cognitive growth. FYI, these are preschools and not day care facilities so you're looking at 2-3 days a week for 2-3 hours only. If when you say preschool, you really mean a day care facility with education, then the phone book under day care should give you options in Stafford. Hope that helps!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 AM

56 posts, read 207,943 times
Go to mapquest.com and edit results by"no hiways" then call a private school from the area that you are moving into and ask which preschool they would recommend.They usually know which preschool has the best results with their children.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 AM

In terms of private schools in Stafford, the only one I can think of is the new school that the Catholic church on Route 1 opened... St. William of York? Everything else is day care facilities. If you come north to Prince William County, there is Prince William Academy (also its branch campus Early Years Academy), Merit Academy (which is really Minnieland Day Care), and the Catholic church (again on Route 1)... Aquinas? If you go south to Fredericksburg, I believe there is also a Catholic private school there. Oh, I also forgot to mention there is a Montessori school in Woodbridge called Cardinal Montessori.

There's really not a lot of private educational opportunities in Prince William and Stafford counties. The protestant churches pretty much run the preschools and the day care facilities offer school settings for working parents who need their children in care for longer hours.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 18,090 times
thanks for your suggestions... i did check out Merit School and it worked out perfectly...they offer the kind of academic curriculum in looking for-- spanish, music, library visits etc and they also open from 5am -7pm...just excellent

Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 12,389 times
Thumbs down Empathetic ...Stafford Preschools leave a lot to be desired

I moved to Stafford from Monterey, CA in the Fall 06 with my preschooler & infant. My husband & I tried desperately to find a preschhol program that provided the same type of rich curriculum my son enjoyed in Monterey with absolutely no luck. I found more promising preschools in Fairfax and Prince William. Stafford's preschools usually begin at age 3 and have pretty weak reading and math curriculums. Sorry. If I were you I would try to avoid moving until your child reaches school age.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Hi Naya,
So glad to hear The Merit School is going to work out for you! Good luck with your move and I hope your son enjoys his new school!

And ahowzep...I too am disappointed in the educational opportunities in Stafford, and even Prince William counties. We're considering relocating and was blown away with the number of options we'd have in the new city.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,389 times
Naya,
I wish you the best with the Merit School. I have an 1 year old for whom I will be searching out a preschool. Based on your assessment, I will definitely give it another look. All the best to you too, Jessnboys.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 AM

36 posts, read 114,196 times
Smile Moving To Stafford,va

I LIVED IN STAFFORD COUNTY VIRGINIA BEFORE
I DIDN'T REALLY LIKE IT BUT I GOT USED TO IT
THEN I MOVED BACK DOWN SOUTH TO ATLANTA,GA

I MIGHT HAVE TO COME BACK TO STAFFORD FOR A HIGH PAYING JOB
BUT I DON'T KNOW IF ITS WORTH IT?
I MEAN I LIKE THE AREA BUT I LIKE THE ATLANTA AREA TOO

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,384 times
Could you tell me a little about your move? Your opinion of the cost of living there vs silver spring? I may be moving from md to dulles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia