Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,572 times

Advertisements

We found a single family home we would like to purchase located in Lake Ridge, Woodbridge. We love the house but it has HOA fees. We are not familiar with HOA rules. We read owners have several restrictions for example in renting the house, parking or have a pet. It is very restrictive?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,856,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drigg77 View Post
We found a single family home we would like to purchase located in Lake Ridge, Woodbridge. We love the house but it has HOA fees. We are not familiar with HOA rules. We read owners have several restrictions for example in renting the house, parking or have a pet. It is very restrictive?
HOAs are as different as people. Its the cost of fees and what services you receive in return. Nova is HOA happy unlike other places I've lived.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:58 AM

865 posts, read 2,094,889 times
I've lived in our Lake Ridge HOA home for over 9 years now. As HOAs go, it's fairly hands-off and cheap. SFH assessments are ~$160/quarterly (with trash service includes) or ~$130/quarterly without trash service. In return, the primary attraction is the 5 pools and additional kiddie sprayground, though there are other amenities as well. Lake Ridge is fairly large (over 7,000 SFHs, townhomes, etc.), so the staff doesn't have time to micromanage every property. When a home sells, that is when there is the primary detailed inspection. They will follow up on smaller items until they are rectified in this case. However, after that, they pretty much stay out of the way. Also, there are certainly plenty of people who have pets or rent out their homes. So, if and when there are hoops, they are very manageable.

Any specific questions, or do you just dislike the concept of an HOA? If the latter, I understand. If the former, please ask so we can try to answer!

Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,873,835 times
Been awhile since I read lake ridge HOA docs but pertaining to renting, it's probably something to the effect of you have to rent for atleast 6 months (to avoid airbnb situations)

Old 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM

865 posts, read 2,094,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Been awhile since I read lake ridge HOA docs but pertaining to renting, it's probably something to the effect of you have to rent for atleast 6 months (to avoid airbnb situations)
This may be true, but there are certainly some Lake Ridge properties listed on airbnb. It's not a large number, but they exist, whether or not its permitted by the by-laws.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,290,285 times
There's more than one HOA in Lake Ridge. Do you know which one it belongs to?

We own a TH in the Lake Ridge Association HOA and I feel like it's managed really well. IMO, they aren't an overbearing HOA and the dues are pretty cheap for the amenities we get. The rates differ depending on the type of dwelling (SFH, TH, Condo) and street. Mine are $217 quarterly. Scrolling through the roster, it looks like $300 per quarter is the highest amount.

The only thing my husband at is when we have to get their approval on any exterior changes to our home. But I don't have a problem with it at all. They've haven't not approved any of my requests in the almost 10 years we've lived there.

The only rental restriction I'm aware of is they require that the tenants to be registered with the association. MY HOA has no restrictions on pets so that makes me think the house you're interested is in a different HOA or someone is telling you exaggerated incorrect information.

Here's the website to my HOA:

Lake Ridge Association - HOME

Last edited by HokieFan; 10-02-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,879,374 times
BIL is a realtor up in Va. We went through Lake Ridge years ago when it was a bit newer. Enjoyed meals near the water and a quaint town nearby called Occaquan and all the boats docked nearby.

Va has this great thing called Virginia Property Owners' Association Act. They had it a long time...and one of my favorite nerdy things to peruse. And now there is their updated version. Passed July 1, 2019 and in effect Oct. 1, 2019. It covers...looks like everything regarding hoas. Tons of definitions, disclosure statement. Specific packet delivery methods and timing. Content that has to be covered lists many items. Lists even the fee for the packet, the fee for copying to seller, seller agent, purchaser, purchaser's agent and one other; when settlement has to occur; items for those professionally managed; items for those not professionally managed. etc. etc.

So you can look at this online here: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodep...sociation-act/

That's VA law. And your realtor should be able to get the updated association (general and smaller section) rules and regs from the homeowner (but be sure the date on them is current) or from the mgr/office. And be sure the reference is to your specific neighborhood.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 10-02-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 03:40 PM

989 posts, read 450,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drigg77 View Post
HOA rules generally dictate how the look of the outside of your house is and it works to ensure that you don't let your shutters fall off, paint your trim neon orange because you think it cool, etc. It's to ensure that all the homes keep a basic level of maintenance and good appearance so as not to lower property values of the surrounding homes or irritate others in the community. They will do things like make sure the fence you want blends in well with the aesthetic of the neighborhood. They will ensure that tot lots are maintained, common areas not owned by an individual are kept up, pools (if you have them) are run properly etc. Many HOA fees include trash pickup, which is a good deal if that happens. It's more expensive to get trash pickup as an individual than to go in as a group.

Some HOAs can be restrictive and some can be very loose. Just be sure that you read all the paperwork/rules and make sure you can live with them because they *might* be enforced.

Last edited by ToyVW55; 10-02-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 04:49 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,364,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
HOA rules generally dictate how the look of the outside of your house is and it works to ensure that you don't let your shutters fall off, paint your trim neon orange because you thinks it cool, etc. It's to ensure that all the homes keep a basic level of maintenance and good appearance so as not to lower property values of the surrounding homes or irritate others in the community. They will do things like make sure the fence you want blends in well with the aesthetic of the neighborhood. They will ensure that tot lots are maintained, common areas not owned by an individual are kept up, pools (if you have them) are run properly etc. Many HOA fees include trash pickup, which is a good deal if that happens. It's more expensive to get trash pickup as an individual than to go in as a group.

Some HOAs can be restrictive and some can be very loose. Just be sure that you read all the paperwork/rules and make sure you can live with them because they *might* be enforced.
Yep. HOAs are there to enforce the mundane rules that if they aren't enforced people become too lax about. They can be annoying at times but are necessary.

I don't know how extreme Lake Ridge HOA is but I do know that it's the better part of Woodbridge (Montclair as well, not sure how extreme that HOA is either) and one would presume the fact that it's a large HOA has some factor in that. I won't even get on some of the houses off of Dale Blvd, it's quite evident there's no HOA there.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:54 PM

989 posts, read 450,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep. HOAs are there to enforce the mundane rules that if they aren't enforced people become too lax about.

I don't know how extreme Lake Ridge HOA is but I do know that it's the better part of Woodbridge (Montclair as well, not sure how extreme that HOA is either) and one would presume the fact that it's a large HOA has some factor in that. I won't even get on some of the houses off of Dale Blvd, it's quite evident there's no HOA there.
Yes, the Dale Blvd homes are atrocious. If you are wavering on how you feel about HOAs, take a drive through there to see what people think is acceptable and you will likely side with having an HOA. Now I don't think everything needs an HOA. You got a few acres and some privacy? Fine. Your houses are a few feet apart and you're all on top of each other? Well, yes, the mundane rules need to be followed.

My mother has lived in the Springwoods area of Lake Ridge for about 20 years. She's in a townhouse and she's never really had any complaints about the HOA. She did get a notice one time because one of her shutters at the very top of her 3-level out of the ground home was knocked crooked by some wind. They have a hard time finding a repair person with a ladder tall enough to get to the top so it was taking some time, but it never turned into any drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia