Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 01:12 PM

125 posts, read 82,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
No.
Well, my cousin bought a house in Ashburn for $800K. Brand new but small and her commute to Tysons is horrible. One hour in parking lot traffic and she pays the toll on 267.

Inside the Beltway, anything comparable was dingy, dilapidated, galley kitchen, no open concept (living, dining, and kitchen all connected) and at least $900K. She's have had to spend more on renovating and updating the house. I went with her and her husband to see lots of properties. There were some updated properties in McLean and Falls Church - at least 1.5 million.

If you have a link to single family home properties that are new and updated inside the Beltway for under a million on Zillow or Redfin, please share!

Old 02-06-2020, 01:33 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,457,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_woman View Post
If you have a link to single family home properties that are new and updated inside the Beltway for under a million on Zillow or Redfin, please share!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...51815051_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...05374262_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...51847625_zpid/

Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
[url]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7305-Tyler-Ave-Falls-Church-VA-22042/51815051_zpid/[/url]

[url]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4884-Cherokee-Ave-Alexandria-VA-22312/305374262_zpid/[/url]

[url]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3609-Bent-Branch-Ct-Falls-Church-VA-22041/51847625_zpid/[/url]

The first house doesn't have a living room connected to the kitchen and dining area.

The second house is in Alexandria where the schools leave a lot to be desired (except TJ)

The third house needs updating. Who wants to move into a brown wood house? Maybe the Baby Boomers thought that was cute but we don't.

I rest my case.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The first house doesn't have a living room connected to the kitchen and dining area.

The second house is in Alexandria where the schools leave a lot to be desired (except TJ)

The third house needs updating. Who wants to move into a brown wood house? Maybe the Baby Boomers thought that was cute but we don't.

I rest my case.
Yes, you have proven something.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, you have proven something.
Yes, I can buy similar houses to the ones that you posted links to for $300K in Chapel Hill, NC. My salary is not half of what it was in Northern Virginia (about $5K less) but my commute went from forty-five minutes to fifteen minutes.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:13 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,997,770 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, what????? First, that is a very specific requirement, but the family room is attached to the kitchen.
You are so negative about everything. Nothing is ever good enough for you. I'm not surprised you haven't been able to find a long-term relationship. Who wants to listen to someone complain all the time and always point out the negative things?

Old 02-06-2020, 02:15 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,997,770 times
Quote:
Also, the population of Middleburg, VA in the 2010 census was 673 people. I rest my case...most people in Northern Virginia don't live way out near Fauquier county. I wouldn't mind living there but there are no jobs in Middleburg...and there's no way that I would have enjoyed commuting to my job in Arlington from the boonies.
I've commuted to my job in DC for 10 years now; and am not bothered by it. There are gives and takes to everything.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm sorry, what????? First, that is a very specific requirement, but the family room is attached to the kitchen.
You are so negative about everything. Nothing is ever good enough for you. I'm not surprised you haven't been able to find a long-term relationship. Who wants to listen to someone complain all the time and always point out the negative things?
Here's where I point out the positive things of where I am:

I live in Chapel Hill, NC now. I get all of the above at a third of the cost. Great job market, educated and diverse population, great restaurants, I can come to D.C. anytime I want to see the Smithsonian (but don't want to be anywhere near D.C.), beautiful scenery, much better weather than Northern Virginia, wineries, breweries, diverse culture, sunny skies (something I missed in Northern Virginia...always so overcast and rainy there). When locals complain about the commute here, I have to laugh and ask "what commute?" It's so nice to commute here with so many trees around. So lush and green. Way more polite people. Slower pace. This city has beautiful fall colors. So easy on the eyes

Old 02-06-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Here's where I point out the positive things of where I am:

I live in Chapel Hill, NC now. I get all of the above at a third of the cost. Great job market, educated and diverse population, great restaurants, I can come to D.C. anytime I want to see the Smithsonian (but don't want to be anywhere near D.C.), beautiful scenery, much better weather than Northern Virginia, wineries, breweries, diverse culture, sunny skies (something I missed in Northern Virginia...always so overcast and rainy there). When locals complain about the commute here, I have to laugh and ask "what commute?" It's so nice to commute here with so many trees around. So lush and green. Way more polite people. Slower pace. This city has beautiful fall colors. So easy on the eyes
Then why are you on the Northern Virginia forum trying to prove to yourself that you made the right decision?

Old 02-06-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've commuted to my job in DC for 10 years now; and am not bothered by it. There are gives and takes to everything.
Great! Good for you. Not all of us are cut out for a commute from Middleburg, VA to DC. That's fifty miles. It takes over an hour without traffic. I don't want to know what it's like in rush hour traffic. If I could work flex hours or from home, I would totally live out in the boondocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia