U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What name do you like for the area north of Rt. 7?
Potomac Falls 13 41.94%
Countryside and Cascades 3 9.68%
North Sterling 4 12.90%
Sterling, Part II 1 3.23%
Cookie Cutter, Virginia 4 12.90%
Stainless Steel, Virginia 2 6.45%
We should just keep the name Sterling, by gum! 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM

83 posts, read 252,913 times

Advertisements

They are Post Offices.. Just Post Offices..

The County would refer to a location by the magistratal district. IE: Sterling District, Dulles District, Broad Run District etc..

Just Post Offices.. you can call it New York City Virginia as long as you use the Sterling Zip code..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,785,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-rat View Post

The County would refer to a location by the magistratal district. IE: Sterling District, Dulles District, Broad Run District etc...
Now that's an interesting idea. I don't know how those districts are broken up. Do they seem like manageable sizes?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,636,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Now that's an interesting idea. I don't know how those districts are broken up. Do they seem like manageable sizes?
Here's the current map: Loudoun County Election Districts (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1035 - broken link) (there are detailed maps on each district's page)

But they'll be redrawn after the Census results.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Here's the current map: Loudoun County Election Districts (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1035 - broken link) (there are detailed maps on each district's page)

But they'll be redrawn after the Census results.
So, cdmurphy, as an Ashburnian what do you think of all this? Would you like to see Ashburn split into smaller pieces? And, if so, would you like to follow the map above or a different breakdown?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,636,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So, cdmurphy, as an Ashburnian what do you think of all this? Would you like to see Ashburn split into smaller pieces? And, if so, would you like to follow the map above or a different breakdown?
Well, for county governance purposes, there is no Ashburn. Most of what people generally think of as Ashburn is in the Broad Run District (because the Farm, the Village, etc. actually existed pre-2000) and everything else is lumped into the Dulles District.

I don't know exactly what the population difference is from 2000 to 2010, but it's huge. The Dulles District is going to bust wide open. My guess is that the areas around Broadlands, Brambleton and South Riding will likely end up as separate districts. And that's a good thing. We get the shaft when it comes to county amenities. The Dulles South Multi-purpose Center has very little programming. They are finally building the Gum Spring Library, but it had to get done with a commercial partnership. We are not close to the Ashburn Library, and we're not all that close to the new one either. My kids start classes at the Sterling Community Center this week because they are the closest to us.

With smaller, more representative districts, we will hopefully have our voices heard. As the HCA hospital brouhaha showed, the interests of South Riding/Route 50 Corridor are not necessarily the same as Broadlands or Brambleton. There is now a much different population here than there was in 2000.

I also suspect that the Catoctin District will be divided, since there's been so much growth right outside of Leesburg proper. (Again, I'm not a demographer, but I do find the subject interesting.)

Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
With smaller, more representative districts, we will hopefully have our voices heard. As the HCA hospital brouhaha showed, the interests of South Riding/Route 50 Corridor are not necessarily the same as Broadlands or Brambleton. There is now a much different population here than there was in 2000.
That's how I feel, too. Smaller districts are needed, and the names should be made the official comunity names. I'd also like to see these communities put on maps, and clearly defined.

Quote:
I also suspect that the Catoctin District will be divided, since there's been so much growth right outside of Leesburg proper. (Again, I'm not a demographer, but I do find the subject interesting.)
I would love to see this happen.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Indeed! Why give the post office so much power to define who we are?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM

83 posts, read 252,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Indeed! Why give the post office so much power to define who we are?
The Post Office can define Zip Cod boundaries as it sees fit.. example 20111.. Manassas or Manassas Park? Both..

Back in the ancient daze.. I grew up in what was once Burke.. but Burke did not have foot delivery (mail box on house, I did say ancient daze) Burke only had one rural mail carrier then.. so they made our neighborhood Springfield.. just did poof, Springfield..

Look at the size of the Falls Church Post Office, some is in the City of Falls Church, some in Fairfax County..

Herndon is huge.. Reston was originally part of Herndon , first they added the 22090 zip (yes 22090) then they built the Reston PO on Sunset Hills Road.. Then they changed all of the Zip codes handeled by the new Dulles Postal center to 201XX (a Maryland code, go figure)

Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
The Post Office can define Zip Cod boundaries as it sees fit.. example 20111.. Manassas or Manassas Park? Both..
Exactly--why should zip code boundaries be used to determine community boundaries?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times
Quote:
Are you talking about the proposal to split the upper section of Loudoun County into Catoctin County? I haven't heard much about that lately, is that still an active movement?

You brought up and interesting point that smaller, more representative districts would make it more likely for voices to be heard. I wonder if that's why the county resists splitting up Sterling and Ashburn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia