U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,573 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, My Husband Will Be Working At Dulles Airport, Looking For A Great Community That Has Good Schools......any Ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 PM

566 posts, read 2,756,926 times
Loudoun, western Fairfax and part of the northern most points in Prince William county would work.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:21 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,362,494 times
Pretty much anywhere within a 15 mile radius of Dulles Airport will have terrific schools. This particular part of the DC area is renowned for it's terrific schools. If you believe in school rankings, those schools in Fairfax County are generally ranked higher than those in Loudoun and Prince William counties, but the differences aren't really that pronounced.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 AM

20,907 posts, read 39,189,628 times
Get a map...follow along here.

We lived in Chantilly (Brookfield Sub-div) for 28 years, until 2005. Great spot for getting to/from Dulles for travel or work.

From Brookfield (Rte 50 & Lees Corner Rd) you can take Lees Corner Rd over to Old Centreville Rd, then north toward Herndon a half mile then a left onto McLaren Rd to Rte 28 and take it north to the Dulles Access Road, i.e., you need very few "main" roads to get to/from Dulles and these nearby communities. Same applies to living in Franklin Farms or Herndon area.

In the Chantilly area, traffic on Rte 50 "west" of Rte 28 is dreadful, as it goes from 3-lanes each way down to 2-lanes and becomes a huge bottleneck. I'd avoid going out that way (i.e., avoid South Riding and Stone Ridge, etc). Yes, it's possible to commute btw South Riding & Dulles via Rte 606 and avoid much of Rte's 50 & 28, but there's a lot of commuting that you'll have to do via 50 & 28 that will sour your experience of living there. Better alternatives abound.

Avoid Centreville too, as Rte 28 is your only decent means of travel and traffic on that road is horrendous... it will backup for miles at Braddock Rd and on into Centreville.

Best bets are EAST of Rte 28 (Chantilly, Franklin, Herndon)...and west/north of the airport.

There's an enclave of homes (where my wife grew up) called Broad Run Farms at Rte 7 & Young's Cliff Rd. Goes back to the 1950's, very individualistic homes with large lots, some on the Potomac....horses, well isolated. Just east of BRF on Rte 7 is Countryside, a new place full of nice stuff and a short hop to the big mall. I'd avoid Sterling Park, as it's too old and too cookie cutter 1960's, it was an effort by a steel company (Alcoa? U.S.Steel?) to get into the housing biz, no terrible bad news, just old housing stock and a bit crowded.

Along the Dulles Corridor there's Reston, Herndon, Ashburn, Leesburg, and that's about a 15-mile range...further west of Leesburg you're getting away from a 15-mile zone, but it is nice country...Purcellville, Round Hill and so on....

s/Mike

Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM

1,966 posts, read 3,849,623 times
I just came from the Costco in Chantilly. Rte. 50 was bumper-to bumper in both directions, Rte. 28 heading towards Manassas was gridlocked as well. Traffic headed towards Ashburn and Sterling was OK except at the light at Frying Pan Road (that needs to be next for the ramps, now that Sterling Boulevard is finished).

Granted this is the holiday traffic, but it doesn't get much better any other time.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:54 PM

566 posts, read 2,756,926 times
If you move to South Riding, Arcola, Aldie or one of the other western towns in either Loudoun or PW county, you can also take Belmont Ridge to the Greenway. My neighbor travels this route frequently (He's an air traffic controller at Dulles) and says that there isn't a whole lot of traffic compared to the other routes.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:50 PM

23 posts, read 92,448 times
My suggestion is to move north or west of the airport. Golfinnova is right on regarding the traffic. When I am on Rt 28 heading south in the mornings I fly by watching the traffic on the other side at a standstill. Commute wise I would look in the Cascades area of Sterling.

There is also some new construction at great prices off of Evergreen Mill Rd in Leesburg.

[advertising cut]

Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,163 times
Check out these areas Ashburn, Broadlands, Brambleton, Stone ridge, Moore's station, Loudoun Valley Estates, Sterling, Cascades and Broad Run. Reston/Herndon (Fairfax counties) is little bit on the expensive side of Dulles Corridor.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,913,849 times
Default Lowes Island

Lowes Island Elementary school is exceptional, and the community is a very pleasant place to live. It's a 15-minute drive N on Rt. 28 (maybe 20-25 minutes in rush hour, though). Lowes Island isn;t a town, it's a very large association that is a sub group of an even larger association called Cascades. On a map, look for Algonkian Parkway. Lowes Island Blvd. is in the center of the parkway. All of Cascades is really nice, but try to get your children into Lowes Island Elementary if they are elementary age.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,567 times
looking for small house in retirement community. Age restriction so no children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or