Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times

Advertisements

My hubby is looking into a job in DC. What apt. buildings/ areas do families rent 2 bedrooms in? We're from San Diego so I'm familiar with outrageous rent and traffic but would like to keep both at a minimum. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,761 times
um...anywhere there are 2 bedrooms available?

=)

Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
where exactly is the job?
DO you want to live in DC or NOVA?
What is your pricerange?

Search on here there are many great family communties in NOVA with good schools that are commutable to DC.

Rentals run the gammet from SFH,TH to apts and condos. Almost every town/area here has rentals in some way shape or form.

Look inside 495 for you best commute option but it's $$$
For easy metro acess into DC look along the metro routes.

Areas that are known to be nice and have good schools are...
N.Arlington,Vienna,Falls Church,McLean, Burke, West Springfiled, Kingstowne,Oakton etc...

do a search of this forum LOTS OF INFO on safe family neighorhoods etc...

Check out craigslist and militaryby owner great sites for rentals.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM

The Job is downtown and my hubby will take Metro so the stop must be in walking distance to the apt. We want NoVA. We cannot afford to buy. I've been going through Craigslist and we're thinking 1850-2K per month rent but would love to spend less. We don't want to be in a building with college kids/ big dogs/ lots of couples-roommates to a single apt. We want to be in a clean quiet, family oriented building with other Moms and Dads who have toddlers and babies. We're a boring, quiet suburban family who are asleep by 10pm. I'm planning to send my toddler to parochial school when he's of age but thats years off. I want to be 10 minutes from Target/WalMart/Supermarket shopping mall. I'll have the sole car.

Last edited by leighland; 04-22-2008 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: added school info

Old 04-22-2008, 03:58 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,761 times
walking distance to metro, and walmart near.....

only van dorn area comes to mind.

Walmart about 10 minutes drive from there.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
The Job is downtown and my hubby will take Metro so the stop must be in walking distance to the apt. We want NoVA. We cannot afford to buy. I've been going through Craigslist and we're thinking 1850-2K per month rent but would love to spend less. We don't want to be in a building with college kids/ big dogs/ lots of couples-roommates to a single apt. We want to be in a clean quiet, family oriented building with other Moms and Dads who have toddlers and babies. We're a boring, quiet suburban family who are asleep by 10pm. I'm planning to send my toddler to parochial school when he's of age but thats years off. I want to be 10 minutes from Target/WalMart/Supermarket shopping mall. I'll have the sole car.
Another possibility is to consider neighborhoods where your husband has easy access to the VRE for commuting. The VRE has a shuttle that services some neighborhoods in Burke (22015) and Fairfax (22032) so your husband could just walk to the shuttle stop. The area is family-oriented and is easily accessible to Target, Walmart, grocery stores, etc. Check out militarybyowner.com and Craig's list. You can probaby find THs for rent in your price range.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
My sister lives in Burke (22015), actually walking distance to the VRE station on Rolling Road (though she usually drives). There are the usual big-box retailers within 10-15 minutes by car. I found more than a dozen townhouses on a realtor website for under $2000K, which would be much nicer for your family than an apartment. There are a lot of military families in this area, who often rent out their homes when they are assigned elsewhere, which usually gets you a nicer place than an investment property that has been rented for decades. Good public schools, with a number of Catholic schools as well.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
Arlington 22202 might work for you - near 2 metros on Blue and Yellow lines. Potomoc Yard has a Target, Staples, PetSmart, Shoppers Food Warehouse, and other stores. There are two Harris Teeters and several other groceries nearby. There is the Pentagon City Mall with a Macy's and the other typical mall stores. You might even find a small single family house in Addison Heights to rent in that range.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. Your suggestions have been fabulous. I would love living near military families too. Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Check out militarybyowner.com .
Hi- what Military bases do I use for NoVA searching for this site? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia