U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 AM

4,478 posts, read 4,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"What parent doesn't want their child in a class where good grades are the top priority among the other students?"

This one. My son is a very strong student now attending a very small school that has deliberately de-emphasized grades. Exams and written work are returned with extensive comments, but no number or letter grade. At the end of each semester, parents meet with the teachers, discuss the student's progress, and only then receive a written grade report. My son, who used to keep track of his grades with the precision of a surgeon, took a long time to get used to this system. But he has been forced to focus on what he is learning, rather on the grade, and it has been wonderful. There are no GPAs, and therefore no competition to load up on AP courses to boost one's GPA into the stratosphere. No AP courses, either. It's great.
Sounds like the secondary school equivalent of St. John's College in Annapolis. Props to you for finding the right environment for your son!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 AM

3,953 posts, read 6,348,316 times
I mean no disrespect to TJ students....I know they are truly special. BUT....let me pass on a bus driver's observation.

I occasionally substitute on TJ bus runs....where all I have is a route sheet (that often has errors). So, I sometimes will ask the students for help in getting to their stops. I am AMAZED at how regularly I encounter TJ students that have not a clue as to where they live....I have to pull over and break out the map!

One time I had a pretty good idea where a kid's street was. I asked him, "That's over near WalMart, isn't it?". All I got was a blank stare and a headshake. When we got there, the kid's street was within eyeshot of WalMart! How could he live there and not notice WalMart??

Geez Louise, I wonder how some of them will navigate through life beyond the laboratory doors!

Side note: I also occasionally sub on kindergarten runs, and it is ASTOUNDING how many of those tots can direct me through the ENTIRE (and sometimes quite long) bus route....every turn....right down to the smallest details! And they SO enjoy helping me. They're so cute....why do they have to grow up? LOL

Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM

194 posts, read 386,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
And there's something wrong with that? Isn't that their JOB in high school?

What parent doesn't want their child in a class where good grades are the top priority among the other students? What else should be the top priority?
I'm talking about to the point where they are cheating via a book placed meticulously on the floor so the teacher can't see it. Nothing wrong with parent pressure to an extent.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I mean no disrespect to TJ students....I know they are truly special. BUT....let me pass on a bus driver's observation.

I occasionally substitute on TJ bus runs....where all I have is a route sheet (that often has errors). So, I sometimes will ask the students for help in getting to their stops. I am AMAZED at how regularly I encounter TJ students that have not a clue as to where they live....I have to pull over and break out the map!

One time I had a pretty good idea where a kid's street was. I asked him, "That's over near WalMart, isn't it?". All I got was a blank stare and a headshake. When we got there, the kid's street was within eyeshot of WalMart! How could he live there and not notice WalMart??

Geez Louise, I wonder how some of them will navigate through life beyond the laboratory doors!

Side note: I also occasionally sub on kindergarten runs, and it is ASTOUNDING how many of those tots can direct me through the ENTIRE (and sometimes quite long) bus route....every turn....right down to the smallest details! And they SO enjoy helping me. They're so cute....why do they have to grow up? LOL
TJ is known for being booksmart but not streetsmart.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,883,317 times
"When that kid coming from that learning environment eventually goes to college, it may be an adjustment....a potentially huge adjustment, where grades are emphasized and a huge determining factor when it comes to getting a job or going to grad school."

Not really. Many graduates comment that college is easy for them, since they had a demanding high school curriculum. All of the high school humanities courses are taught at the college level, using original texts by Homer, Plato, Aristotle, St. Augustine, etc. And many of them do go on to graduate and professional school, so the lack of emphasis on grades during their high school years is clearly not hurting them.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
So what? Who cares what the motivator is, as long as the kids are working hard and doing well. That's the way to success in America, stay in school and work hard. Motivation for doing so doesn't matter, it's the outcome that matters. No one cares if an inventor is motivated by his parents, his love of knowledge, his love of money, or his competitive spirit or his raw intelligence. If he has invented the newest widget that we all want, it doesn't matter. If a TJ kid works his butt off to get ahead, who cares what motivates him to do so?

True math kids loved the toughest teachers at TJ and couldn't wait to take Dr. Dell's AP physics, one of the toughest classes in the school. Quantum Physics was another course the real math kids couldn't wait to take. But of course there were students admitted who should never have been there and they struggled to succeed. The same happens at every college too, particularly the Ivies. That's what some of the flakey majors were designed to do, get students through college who never belonged there in the first place.
Define "flakey majors" please. As in liberal arts?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,883,317 times
"Sounds like the secondary school equivalent of St. John's College in Annapolis. Props to you for finding the right environment for your son!"

It is, and we are very blessed to have found such a great fit for our son.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:32 PM

715 posts, read 1,355,033 times
The funniest thing is this.

I often come across interviews with ivy league kids who major in some of these so called "flakey majors." Many of them have liberal arts degrees like philosophy, art history, spanish, etc.

When asked what they want to do after college, these kids say "investment banking."

And you wonder why our financial industry is in the state it is today.

LOL!

Old 08-29-2009, 02:31 PM

If you're gonna stay in the NOVA area for work, it's a safe bet to major in political science, economics, finance, or a technical degree.

I have a friend who graduated with an art history degree from NYU (highly rated program) and is literally working as an assistant manager at Borders. He has over $100,000 in loans. Sucks big time.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:55 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,149,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
Define "flakey majors" please. As in liberal arts?
No, worse, things like Gender and feminist studies, Kinesilogy (PE), African American studies were ALL students get an A, film study, developmental sociology, human geography, textiles and clothing, Romance studies, all those things for which there are no jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia