U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Status: "Finally in Durham!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Durham, NC
24,934 posts, read 35,592,931 times
Reputation: 35182

Advertisements

Mall areas have always been prone to sudden crime spikes. Same story with Landmark and Ballston. Hell, same story with my old neighborhood in Hampton Roads for crying out loud.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM
 
53 posts, read 62,359 times
Reputation: 50
One recent change might be encouraging this. Arlington County’s new prosecutor doesn’t believe in jail, but instead believes in restorative justice. This similar to how DC has been operating for years where murderers usually end up only serving 5 to 10 years before being released and allowed back on the streets.

The least safe parts of Arlington are those located in close proximity to I-66 and I-395 on-ramps, which provide easy access back to DC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 AM
 
1,131 posts, read 919,936 times
Reputation: 1293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's pretty obvious that the non-gentrified parts of D.C. and sections of inner PG county are pretty crime-ridden and probably not because folks from McLean and Potomac go there to commit crime.
Except people do go from VA into DC and commit crimes. Literally yesterday.
Fairfax County man jumped through glass window, choked child in DC attack, police say
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/virginia...ack-police-say
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 12:33 PM
 
Location: annandale, va & slidell, la
9,257 posts, read 3,925,823 times
Reputation: 8427
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Mall areas have always been prone to sudden crime spikes. Same story with Landmark and Ballston. Hell, same story with my old neighborhood in Hampton Roads for crying out loud.
Not in this case. Proximity to an escape bridge into DC where they can disappear is the situation here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 PM
 
38 posts, read 17,489 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
And yet even though race wasn't mentioned you immediately made the connection hmmm...


It's pretty obvious that the non-gentrified parts of D.C. and sections of inner PG county are pretty crime-ridden and probably not because folks from McLean and Potomac go there to commit crime.
Has anyone thought that the people doing these crimes live in Nova?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 06:15 AM
 
22,468 posts, read 33,338,184 times
Reputation: 21976
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Not in this case. Proximity to an escape bridge into DC where they can disappear is the situation here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvjay View Post
Has anyone thought that the people doing these crimes live in Nova?
Exactly, although that doesn't fit the stereotypical NOVA narrative of DC. It's one big ghetto you know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 06:17 AM
 
22,468 posts, read 33,338,184 times
Reputation: 21976
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
One recent change might be encouraging this. Arlington County’s new prosecutor doesn’t believe in jail, but instead believes in restorative justice. This similar to how DC has been operating for years where murderers usually end up only serving 5 to 10 years before being released and allowed back on the streets.

The least safe parts of Arlington are those located in close proximity to I-66 and I-395 on-ramps, which provide easy access back to DC.
Surely you have statistical evidence of that...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Status: "Finally in Durham!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Durham, NC
24,934 posts, read 35,592,931 times
Reputation: 35182
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly, although that doesn't fit the stereotypical NOVA narrative of DC. It's one big ghetto you know!
An old HS classmate of mine from Alexandria has been in jail at least 4 times for robbery since I graduated. I know better than most the types I rode the bus with every day during school and a good few of them are career criminals. Virginia breeds plenty of thugs in ALL parts of the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 03:22 PM
 
3,497 posts, read 4,577,062 times
Reputation: 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
An old HS classmate of mine from Alexandria has been in jail at least 4 times for robbery since I graduated. I know better than most the types I rode the bus with every day during school and a good few of them are career criminals. Virginia breeds plenty of thugs in ALL parts of the state.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 AM
Status: "Finally in Durham!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Durham, NC
24,934 posts, read 35,592,931 times
Reputation: 35182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
One recent change might be encouraging this. Arlington County’s new prosecutor doesn’t believe in jail, but instead believes in restorative justice. This similar to how DC has been operating for years where murderers usually end up only serving 5 to 10 years before being released and allowed back on the streets.

The least safe parts of Arlington are those located in close proximity to I-66 and I-395 on-ramps, which provide easy access back to DC.
??? So Westover, Waycroft-Woodlawn, Lyon Village, Shirlington, Rosslyn, Fairlingtion, and East Falls Church are the least safe parts of Arlington?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top